PDA

View Full Version : non-ipod mp3 players

mixed_biscuits
21-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm finally giving in to peer pressure and getting an mp3 player to supplement my gash AWAI walkman and bulky CD player.

However, I want my mp3 player to be able to do certain things:

- work with Windows AND linux (specifically, ubuntu)
- not take over my hard-drive and corral all the media files I have (as the ipod seems to do)
- can accept files in a drag-and-drop style rather than using some protracted synchronisation process
- play files that have been ripped from cds but not subjected to any kind of rights management conversion

Any recommendations? :D

Bang Diddley
21-04-2009, 03:54 PM
A Sansa Fuse will do all the above. Comes in 4,8,12 gig flash based memory and takes mini sd cards should you wish to expand. Great battery life too. I got the 8 gig and an 8 gig card.

Also has radio which is a bonus and a film and photo viewier which I havnt used. Its now one of those things that I always with me you know like wallet, keys and what have you.

Sick Boy
21-04-2009, 05:05 PM
As far as I know, the iPod does all the things you've listed with the possible exception of not working with LINUX. I have never experienced any of the problems you mentioned.

Pestario
22-04-2009, 11:46 AM
As far as I know, the iPod does all the things you've listed with the possible exception of not working with LINUX. I have never experienced any of the problems you mentioned.

yes, you just have to change a few settings and you can get drag-drop, drm free mp3s and what have you

mixed_biscuits
22-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. :)

Bang Diddley
22-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Oh, one more thing about the Fuze, Sansa do reguar firmware updates improving things all the time. Thats one thing I dont think that Apple do do.

slackk
22-04-2009, 01:49 PM
If you're looking for something with a higher capacity than the Sansa ones, Creative Zen Vision M comes in 30 & 60gb, and will do everything you've asked.

faustus
22-04-2009, 10:35 PM
can some1 recommend an mp3 that plugs straight into usb (like a memory stick) and charges like that too?

dont care about storage, display etc. just want 1 with no wires

Bang Diddley
23-04-2009, 09:09 AM
I know what you mean about wires. Why cant everything have standard/mini USB connections. (pointless but it does my head in).

Ive had one of these in the 2gb version. Really liked it until I accidently stood on it. Still works mind just cant see the screen. Im pretty sure you could pick one very cheaply nowadays if 2gb is suffice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-YP-U1X-512Mb-MP3-Player/dp/B000AOCJ5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240473795&sr=8-1

owengriffiths
23-04-2009, 02:45 PM
I had a similar model to this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aigo-A208-Player-secure-support/dp/B000H2LEOM
plugs straight into the PC but uses a AAA battery for power. The shape seems more practical than a flat ipod- surely they break if you sneeze? On the other hand navigating through files isnt particularly convenient, and getting the battery cover open the first time is near impossible. I got the shop to change it for me though the second model was just as bad, you just have to persist very hard.

Jonesy
11-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Any opinions on Sony's range? I'm trying to decide between a Sony and a Sandisk.

Cheers

urbanite
12-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Have a look at the Cowon iAudio players, that's what I had before i got meself an iPod and was very happy with it. It did everything you want and works fine as a USB Mass Storage device. And if you're a bit of a Opensource person, then they do players which play OGG and Flac...

connect_icut
25-05-2012, 11:59 PM
This thread is pretty stale, so I thought I'd revive it, see if any new shit had come to light. Basically, I'm looking for non-shit digital music player and I'm not having any luck. Here's what I'm after...

Essential requirements:
* Not made by Apple but works with Mac OS
* 1/4" headphone jack
* Plays AIFF
* Flexible file transfer (not just syncing)

Nice to have:
* Analogue volume control
* Nice loud pre-amp
* High-quality D/A convertor
* Not made in China
* No apps or other bullshit - I just want something for listening to music

Mr. Tea
27-05-2012, 12:48 PM
This thread is pretty stale, so I thought I'd revive it, see if any new shit had come to light. Basically, I'm looking for non-shit digital music player and I'm not having any luck. Here's what I'm after...

Essential requirements:
* Not made by Apple but works with Mac OS
* 1/4" headphone jack
* Plays AIFF
* Flexible file transfer (not just syncing)

Nice to have:
* Analogue volume control
* Nice loud pre-amp
* High-quality D/A convertor
* Not made in China
* No apps or other bullshit - I just want something for listening to music

I bought one of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZS544B-Walkman-Built-In-Speakers/dp/B002LARSKW/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338118862&sr=1-9) a few years ago:

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sony-walkman-s-series-press-rm-eng.jpg

which (I think) fits most of your specs. Non-Apple, standard stereo headphone jack, you can either sync or transfer files manually, dunno what the spec is on its DAC but it sounds pretty good. Volume control is digital but has 30 settings, there's no annoying jumps in volume from one setting to the next. Customizable equalizer, which is good because I wasn't too sold on any of the presets. Sony, so decent build quality goes without saying (I've dropped mine all over the place and it still works fine). 'Fraid I've peeled off the little that sticker that says where it was made.

The only annoying thing I have noticed is that very occasionally, files that have been on it a long time get slightly corrupted, so you get a fraction of a second of BZZZZ! in the middle of a tune, but of course you can just re-copy that track/album from your computer.

I'm not really an 'audiophile' so I dunno what AIFF is, but it does play a fair variety of file formats I think. Oh, and it's got an FM radio.

Slothrop
27-05-2012, 01:00 PM
1/4" jack is going to be hard, I think. I guess a mini jack plus an adaptor would be too unwieldy...

Otherwise, the Cowon things mentioned above are good. I've got the j3 and it's pretty solid.

Mr. Tea
27-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Oh hang on, is a 1/4" jack the size that big DJ-style headphones use? The player I use just has an ordinary small one. I think people using massive headphones with a portable music player tend to look a bit silly but what do I know?

Mr. Tea
27-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Also I'm always a bit skeptical of the tiny pre-amp in a portable player having enough welly to power the relatively large speakers in a pair of large over-the-ear headphones, but I guess at least some players mush be powerful enough. I like the feel and sound of a good pair of small in-ear phones, ones that actually protrude into your ear a bit and have good bass.

yyaldrin
27-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I bought a Cowon some years ago, very happy with it. Quality of the sound is very good.

connect_icut
28-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Cheers for the advice.

Yeah, I don't think there is an MP3 player with a 1/4" jack.

The Cowons look good but apparently they don't play AIFF (the Apple version of Wav, basically but better than Wav because it holds tags).

I'm probably going to get The Hifiman HM-601:

http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=90

It fits most of my criteria. The reviews I've read basically say that all it does is play music and it does that better than anything else on the market, including the Cowons.

http://head-direct.com//images/product_images/2011-09-03/1317c5a2d0db88dacfe8641964989b5e/10-11-38742-218db485e372703510c4dd98d02529b7.jpg

you
02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
bloody hell - the cowon x7 looks dope as....

I have a dumbass question - the DAC is the most important bit right - which DAC's do all these devices use? I cannae see.. Do any use a 32bit DAC? Or everything just a 24?

you
04-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Also I'm always a bit skeptical of the tiny pre-amp in a portable player having enough welly to power the relatively large speakers in a pair of large over-the-ear headphones, but I guess at least some players mush be powerful enough. I like the feel and sound of a good pair of small in-ear phones, ones that actually protrude into your ear a bit and have good bass.

yeah - on this tip - is an external pre-amp worth it? Also

Are there any amps that do not require an analogue in.... I don't understand the point in going....

in ipod (dig-to-ana) then amplify.... or

ipod, digi out, to converter, external thing then analogue amp!?!

Someone school me please

connect_icut
04-06-2012, 10:04 PM
This company might have what you're looking for:

http://fiio.com.cn/

Mail-ordered my Hifiman today.

you
04-06-2012, 10:36 PM
so use a digital line out, keep it digi, to the DAC in the i17, let it convert (just the once) then amplify?

Or is it DACing it in the bit between the ipod and amp - in the wire thingy?

connect_icut
05-06-2012, 06:50 AM
so use a digital line out, keep it digi, to the DAC in the i17, let it convert (just the once) then amplify?

Or is it DACing it in the bit between the ipod and amp - in the wire thingy?

See this is why I just wanted to get a really high-quality player with a good DAC and a nice powerful output. If you want an iPod to sound really mint, it seems like you need an external DAC that plugs into the dock thingy and then a preamp to boost the signal. I guess if you want to go that route, Fiio has the goods but I just can't imagine wanting to walk around with this weird chain of gadgets in my pocket. Kinda defeats the point. Might as well stay home and listen to records.

blacktulip
05-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Love this picture: http://www.fiio.com.cn//upFile/20125494653.jpg

you
05-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Love this picture: http://www.fiio.com.cn//upFile/20125494653.jpg

soooo am I right in saying that in this set up the music does not go analogue until inside the big black thing?

What is that USB plug doing free?

grizzleb
05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Apparently the Sandisk Sansa which is cheap as fuck and tiny is really good for the price: loud and sounds pretty good. I wouldn't spend a massive amount on an mp3 player these days - they fuck up too easily, and walking about or sitting on public transport isn't really the best environment for listening to stuff properly anyway.

blacktulip
05-06-2012, 04:48 PM
soooo am I right in saying that in this set up the music does not go analogue until inside the big black thing?

What is that USB plug doing free?

The cable is iPhone/iPod output to S/PDIF, so yes, I believe you're right. The USB socket is for charging purposes.

Mr. Tea
05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Apparently the Sandisk Sansa which is cheap as fuck and tiny is really good for the price: loud and sounds pretty good. I wouldn't spend a massive amount on an mp3 player these days - they fuck up too easily, and walking about or sitting on public transport isn't really the best environment for listening to stuff properly anyway.

Someone dropped my MP3 player into a glass of gin-and-something at a party on Saturday. It died for three days and then, Lazarus-like, came back to life today! Big up da Sony massive.

you
05-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Someone dropped my MP3 player into a glass of gin-and-something at a party on Saturday. It died for three days and then, Lazarus-like, came back to life today! Big up da Sony massive.

you have GLASSES at your parties? You middle class twerp!

connect_icut
12-06-2012, 06:49 AM
So, my Hifiman HM601 turned up today and....

***It totally doesn't play AIFFs***

Christ knows where I got the idea that it would. This is an epic fail for me because about 50% of my digital music is in AIFF. So basically, if I want to listen to the MBV reissues on the bus, I'll have to convert them to MP3s.

There's some third-party firmware that will play AIFFs (http://www.rockbox.org/) but it seems like there's only a beta build for the 601, which will probably completely destroy my particular model.

I feel like such a twat! Wondering if I should just sell the bloody thing on Craigslist or try to make the most of it. Guess I'll try it out and see if it at least lives up to the sound-quality claims made for it. Maybe a firmware update for AIFF will be forthcoming.

blacktulip
15-06-2012, 07:09 PM
You could just do a batch conversion (or a bunch of batch conversions) from AIFF to FLAC with software like XLD. It's a potential pain in the arse logistically, but no need to panic IMHO.

bruno
15-06-2012, 08:44 PM
i was about to recommend xld as well, beautiful software.

connect_icut
15-06-2012, 10:45 PM
You could just do a batch conversion (or a bunch of batch conversions) from AIFF to FLAC with software like XLD. It's a potential pain in the arse logistically, but no need to panic IMHO.

I've pretty much come to terms with playing 320kbps MP3s. They still sound great on the Hifiman. Might give this XLD thing a try at some point, though.

The shittiness of the firmware on this thing is quite astonishing. For example, it only seems to recognize about 50% of the tags, so the browse-by-artist/album functions are basically useless. If I could install a stable version Rock Box, it would be the bomb. As it is, I probably should have bought a Cowon.

bruno
15-06-2012, 11:24 PM
although the xld mp3 compressor is very good, it's the same effort to dump to flacs, and much quicker in my experience. (admittedly with flac the tag editing can be a bit weird, but given that the thing doesn't read tags properly you may not need to bother with this!)

connect_icut
23-06-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm enjoying the Hifiman a lot, in spite of the incredibly shitty firmware. It took quite a bit of digging to find the EQ function (it's not displayed by default!) but with a little extra bass boost, this thing really does sound fantastic.

connect_icut
12-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Now then, does anyone know anything about those little FM transmitters for playing your MP3 player in the car? I want to get one for the missus but my research suggests they're all total shit. Is there a decent one out there? It would have to work with a recent-generation iPod Nano but it would be nice if I could plug my Hifiman into it too.

msoes
13-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Think about replacing your car stereo. I got a new stereo which will play mp3's off a usb stick as well as having a line in so you can plug in mp3 players, it was about the same price as one of the mp3 radio broadcaster things and sounds much better than the old stereo anyway. Had to install it myself but you can pay for that if you prefer..

you
14-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I made the decision to go ipod in the end for convenience and capacity.

My only other option was a massive Cowon that would play FLACs but be faff to manage. So now the only chore I'm left with is converting FLAC's to Apple Lossless.

However, the thing that made the decision for me was the FIIO amp. It has tranformed my Ipod, I get the line out from the pins to the amp and some noise reduction headphones. Best portable music I've had for years I must say. The amp and connector is only 18 quid or something, best money I ever spent.

ifp
14-04-2013, 10:08 AM
About to pick up a SanDisk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NX0ME6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE) player - plays FLAC, has expandable memory and FM radio. Need something I can play music on for several hours without killing my phone battery in the process.