Hotel Rwanda

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
weren't overly impressed by this film, sure it gives a fascinating insight into that period and is genuinely moving, but it did prey to stereotypes and failed to really unravel what was going on politically. When the rebels take over at the end it's just seems mysterious.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i don't see how you can say that. the whole reason for the conflict was really well explained with background in incredibly simple terms right from the get-go.
the tutsi rebels didn't take over at the end, they simply secured one small area to get people out of the country safely via tanzania. the hutus still had control of the rest of rwanda.
what were the stereotypes? do genocidal maniacs have a good side that just wasn't adequately explored and portrayed here?
in any case, i thought don cheadle was extraordinarily good and that was the main reason for recommending it.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
stelfox said:
i don't see how you can say that. the whole reason for the conflict was really well explained with background in incredibly simple terms right from the get-go.
the tutsi rebels didn't take over at the end, they simply secured one small area to get people out of the country safely via tanzania. the hutus still had control of the rest of rwanda. what were the stereotypes? do genocidal maniacs have a good side that just wasn't adequately explored and portrayed here?
in any case, i thought don cheadle was extraordinarily good and that was the main reason for recommending it.

that's what i thought did come across well , it seemed like they were taking over the whole country, it also wasn't explained that the rebels was an alliance of moderate hutus or did i miss something. I think it would've been useful actually why the rebels were in conflict, i know the hutu tutsi thing was made plain.

i probably over stated the stereotypes thing, i just thought the importer/businessman, UN official, chief policemen, US camera crew seemed to have been characters plucked from some generic pool.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
sorry, i just read my post again and it sounded horribly sarcastic.
yeah, thing was that those guys were the people who were there... it's a true story, the guy who it's based on has quite a hand in the telling and, sure, it would have been made slightly more screen-friendly, but i thought it worked really well.

sufi

lala
Rwanda in fact still going on...

sorry, i just read my post again and it sounded horribly sarcastic.
yeah, thing was that those guys were the people who were there... it's a true story, the guy who it's based on has quite a hand in the telling and, sure, it would have been made slightly more screen-friendly, but i thought it worked really well.
yeah well if you get your facts from Hollywood films then don't be surprised when you end up confused. The Hotel Rwanda guy himself is now in jail as he's become a regime enemy https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...w-the-disturbing-death-of-a-rwandan-dissident

& now UK supports Rwanda who are backing Congolese m23 rebels who are committing war crimes

Of course UK now has to present Rwanda as a great place so the UKGov can continue its plans to illegally ship asylum seekers there, but the Kagame government has always been a cult imho (my good mate became a minister for a time)

I think another company who were going to fly the deportation flights have pulled out :)

Interesting to find out that tory scumbag Andrew Mitchell is their UK connection on £40K a year from Kagame

shakahislop

i went there once, it was weird. quite a nice place but subdued. i carried around a little pocket radio, there was a lot of really nice christian hymns on there. jumping on the back of little motorbikes to get about.

luka

I'm from Kazakhstan and I love traveling. I love Africa. Been to Egypt, Tunis, Morocco, Senegal and Rwanda is one of my dream destinations for the future. What I know about Rwanda now: - the sad historic events at 1994. - it is one of the cleanest and safest African countries. - the nature in Rwanda is breathtaking. - Rwanda has the best coffee and masala tea.
😀
I wish all the Rwandans bright future. Peace, huge prosperity and strong developments to this beautiful land. I believe we meet someday. Very soon. Love from Kazakhstan.🇰🇿