PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Rwanda

stelfox
28-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Go and see this film.

wonk_vitesse
10-03-2005, 10:48 AM
weren't overly impressed by this film, sure it gives a fascinating insight into that period and is genuinely moving, but it did prey to stereotypes and failed to really unravel what was going on politically. When the rebels take over at the end it's just seems mysterious.

stelfox
10-03-2005, 11:23 AM
i don't see how you can say that. the whole reason for the conflict was really well explained with background in incredibly simple terms right from the get-go.
the tutsi rebels didn't take over at the end, they simply secured one small area to get people out of the country safely via tanzania. the hutus still had control of the rest of rwanda.
what were the stereotypes? do genocidal maniacs have a good side that just wasn't adequately explored and portrayed here?
in any case, i thought don cheadle was extraordinarily good and that was the main reason for recommending it.

wonk_vitesse
10-03-2005, 06:24 PM
i don't see how you can say that. the whole reason for the conflict was really well explained with background in incredibly simple terms right from the get-go.
the tutsi rebels didn't take over at the end, they simply secured one small area to get people out of the country safely via tanzania. the hutus still had control of the rest of rwanda. what were the stereotypes? do genocidal maniacs have a good side that just wasn't adequately explored and portrayed here?
in any case, i thought don cheadle was extraordinarily good and that was the main reason for recommending it.

that's what i thought did come across well , it seemed like they were taking over the whole country, it also wasn't explained that the rebels was an alliance of moderate hutus or did i miss something. I think it would've been useful actually why the rebels were in conflict, i know the hutu tutsi thing was made plain.

i probably over stated the stereotypes thing, i just thought the importer/businessman, UN official, chief policemen, US camera crew seemed to have been characters plucked from some generic pool.

stelfox
11-03-2005, 04:02 PM
sorry, i just read my post again and it sounded horribly sarcastic.
yeah, thing was that those guys were the people who were there... it's a true story, the guy who it's based on has quite a hand in the telling and, sure, it would have been made slightly more screen-friendly, but i thought it worked really well.