Moritz Von Oswald Trio

zhao

there are no accidents
intrigued... if they are at all close to Radian in their electro-improv inventiveness or power then sign me up!

padro1982

Quality assured if Moritz is involved. Glad to see him recovered and back working after last years stroke/heart attack/insert rumoured illness here!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Cool! I like all 3 players involved, so hopefully will be interesting. Better than Jan Jelinek's I-admit-it-sounds-a-bit-shit live act, anyway?

pajbre

glad to see some love for radian, they are a massively underrated band. martin brandlmayr (drummer from radian) and martin siewert (another vienna improv player) have a disc 'too beautiful to burn' that is, well, what the title suggests.

Viral Radio

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2416&Itemid=26

anyone heard any of this stuff or seen them perform live? could be pretty interesting, an "all-star" line up with live instrumentation and all. also hope this means moritz has had a full recovery from his stroke.
I invited them last year to our festival at the Bimhuis. The trio was very new back then and the show was a bit shaky, However, it has immense potential, and after having witnessed the superb performance by Kode9 and the Spaceape last Friday in the same venue on our Beat Dimensions night, I would really like to invite the trio back now they've matured (this sounds a bit silly, respecting such established musicians a lot). The show last year was very well received, despite its restrained character. The sound is great though: Moritz creates long and dense layers of low and softly percussive frequencies. Delay adds little spikes with mainly hihat and cymbal drumming, and Loderbauer completes the spectrum with oldstyle mainframe electroacoustic sound effects. Worth the organisation, and I look forward to what's coming.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
glad to see some love for radian, they are a massively underrated band. martin brandlmayr (drummer from radian) and martin siewert (another vienna improv player) have a disc 'too beautiful to burn' that is, well, what the title suggests.

Never seen them live, but I reckon the Radian album 'Juxtapose' is amazing. Was a bit underwhelmed by 'Rec.Extern', but thought it all came together by that second album.

I've become a bit of a Brandlmayr trainspotter / stalker, actually. His involvement in projects seems to be a fairly reliable way for me to track down new stuff I'll like. :)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
i had high hopes for that collabo effort of Jan with Triosk. but was completely let down.

Yeah, the irony there being that Triosk on their own have more interesting electronic textures and generally sound like they're having a better time.

If you've read about that Triosk / Jelinek record, it was a remix-via-the-post type collaboration, not a live band. When I talked about his ""I-admit-it-sounds-a-bit-shit live act" I was referring to a band called Groupshow, which I believe plays around Berlin?

In this interview he says:
Jan Jelinek said:
We decided as a trio to not to have something like a repertoire and to work against it. But it’s very hard to because you always have to avoid tricks and habits, and that means the quality of the music not really good. But we don’t care about that—it’s more about this social aspect.
So, yeah, basically saying he knows they don't sound good, but that the atmos and vibe of the performance is hopefully the thing of interest. I actually fully respect his take on it, but it doesn't make me want to go see them play. :)

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Watch:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
just finished listening for first time, although really nice and enjoyable, i feel a little let down.

1 meandering soundscapes and washes over a house beat
2 rhythmic ambient wind chimes
3 perhaps the most interesting: polyrhythmic bell tones reminiscent of gamelan or marimba
4 a slowly drifting ambient dubsteppy number

i mean i like it, surely will soundtrack many work and play sessions, and might be useful in dj sets, but it has not the epic oceanic depth and exquisite heaviness of some of the best R+S... and i'm not crazy about a lot of the aimless wishy washy tones: generic pastoralism :(

for sure any comparison to Radian is out the window... uncompromising psychoactive beat driven electro-acoustic improv this is NOT! better than jelinek/Triosk though.

will listen again on headphones at louder volume... maybe it will take time to sink in. edit: but i doubt it.

Last edited:

Buick6

too punk to drunk
The interview in the latest WIRE was the dullest shit I have ever read. That Sherburne guy redefines the term 'hipster hack'.

But now that Von Oswald is 'out' seems like the fun is over.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Phil posts fairly often on here, I'm sure he'll be cut up by your assessment of his writing.

You reckon?

I really like the record. But I really found that article just nothing.

Nice spaces on it and real instruments and tasteful metal banging, reminds me of the 80s and of Neubaten when they got funkier.

It's krautrock, its not techno. It's the best Brian Eno record he can't just make.

zhao

there are no accidents
listened again and i do like it a lot. mos def growing on me. reverberating polyrhthmic meditation, an extension of his recent remixes of afrobeat among other things... subtle and useful.

Last edited: