new Burial 12 with... fourtet?!

zhao

there are no accidents
snippet sounds really... pastoral. :slanted:

nice radio friendly middle of the road... almost... sounds like... the orb?! but of course with the same muted stutter-garage beat.

a creeping feeling... that his best moments... are behind him?!?! no! it's not true! snap out of it! just getting paranoid... late night working alone got the fear.

i'm sure he is just thwarting expectations before the doom dub album drops.

hopper

can't say I agree with you on this, I think its sounding really good and it gives burial's sound a new life - its nice to hear him doing his thing alongside something quite psychedelic, stepping out of the burial comfort zone. Kode played 2 new sketches on the Benji B show a month or two ago which sound great as well (they're both on youtube if you do a search), so allay your fears - I'm sure everything will be alright:D

michael

Bring out the vacuum
There's some chat about this in the Dubstep thread too...

No surprise at all that they've collabed, judging from interviews rather than output.

atoga

it sounds much more sparse / less information dense than everything else i've heard by him (including the benji b stuff). sounds like what i imagine four tet sounds like, only with some ill drums? not feeling it.

edit / aside: he needs to release feral witchchild. was supposed to be out 14 months ago.

i like the sound of the 4x4 thing, the other one sounds exactly like i imagined it, Burial's slinky drums with Four tet's fluttery melodies over the top, still to hear the full tune though

edit / aside: he needs to release feral witchchild. was supposed to be out 14 months ago.

Yes. the Kode9 20 min previews are masterpieces in themselves.

alex

Do not read this.
I have never heard of four tet before, Im gonna look him up on discogs in a sec, is there any releases anybody thinks i should look out for??

thanks in advance!!

Ory

warp drive
it's nothing too special, but I quite like the A-side with the harp or whatever that thing is. the B-side however is pretty bog-standard Kompakt-style ambient tech-house. disappointing. can't hear any Burial in it, except maybe the vocal snippets.

zhao

there are no accidents
I have never heard of four tet before, Im gonna look him up on discogs in a sec, is there any releases anybody thinks i should look out for??
the first one Dialog remains the best for me. when it came out it really felt fresh and was one of those rare "dont know what it is but i like it" moments. it was very inventive and ambitious and he packed about 30 ideas into an hour. but its appeal did not last very long, about a year or 2 when i was in my early 20s, before never wanting to hear it again. the subsequent recordings are more conventional and pop and less interesting. also as it is really accessible and polite music so this certain yuppie middle of the road electronica radio station in Santa Monica started playing it and it was over for me.

kid's rock project is also decent... but i also have not wanted to listen to it for 6 years. forget the name right now...

alex

Do not read this.
hmm, rock's not really my thing to be honest, thanks for the reccomendation & the reply though Zhao, i will check it out ;)

padro1982

I think it sounds quite nice, at least it's a bit different. I thought the 2 tracks previewed on Benji B sounded like more of the same from him, at least on this he's working with a slightly different sound pallette.

zhao

there are no accidents
a slightly different sound pallette.

this morning just heard the snip again and sounds better than it did last night. less 90s chill-out and more afro-marimba... but without the dexterous melodic polyphony or intricate rhythm. i am looking forward to hearing the full recording.

we are sure it is a collabo effort and not just a split 12 inch?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I always preferred the pastoralism of mid-period (?) Manitoba and the early Beta Band* to Four Tet, which always seemed overly polite. My friend was once standing behind Kieran hebden at a gig, and was struck by how the two people either side of him could only be his Mum and Dad, as they have, er, very distinctively shaped heads...

* Edit: And, ofc ourse, Amon Duul. Maybe should start a pastoralism thread...that'd be some bucolic shit.

Last edited:

rivet90210

it sounds much more sparse / less information dense than everything else i've heard by him (including the benji b stuff). sounds like what i imagine four tet sounds like, only with some ill drums? not feeling it.

This is exactly what went through my head. For this reason, the 44 track could be the best one on there.

Is feral witchchild running into sample clearance problems ythink?

hint

party record with a siren
we are sure it is a collabo effort and not just a split 12 inch?

my guess on hearing the clips would be:

A Side: Burial beat with Fourtet on top
B Side: Fourtet beat with Burial on top

... although it's probably a bit more blurry than that.

tox

Factory Girl
also as it is really accessible and polite music so this certain yuppie middle of the road electronica radio station in Santa Monica started playing it and it was over for me.

Have you heard Everything Ecstatic from 2005? Quality record and pretty far from MoR. For me that's probably the most interesting Four Tet album.

Happiness by Fridge is my favourite Kieren Hebden project though. Those records with Steve Reid have some interesting moments as well, but are generally a bit too much of a freak-out mess for me to understand.

BareBones

wheezy
i think the four tet thing sounds great, and i normally think four tet is intensely dull. definitely sounds like a collaboration rather than a split 12 to me - the drums are unmistakably burial and the sounds/fx are very four tet.

feral witchchild is so amazing, forgot about this....

baboon, i used to really like that 'up in flames' manitoba album, i think it was kind of unfairly lumped in with that deluge of awful "folktronica" that came out around that time, but it was really good from what i remember. haven't listened to it in yonks though, might dig it out and give it another listen.

zhao

there are no accidents
Have you heard Everything Ecstatic from 2005? Quality record and pretty far from MoR. For me that's probably the most interesting Four Tet album.

Happiness by Fridge is my favourite Kieren Hebden project though. Those records with Steve Reid have some interesting moments as well, but are generally a bit too much of a freak-out mess for me to understand.

Everything Ecstatic is the cosmic jazz themed one right? you know i can't rememer if i heard it or not... the premise certainly sounded good. maybe i should investigate.

and along these lines anyone ever pick up that afro-beat project by Him? i'm curious how it would sound now...

Fridge...

Krasner

I’m not so keen on this. Sounds like they met halfway and diluted both their sounds.

I thought Four Tet's recentisg EP (Ringer?) was really good though. It had more of a spacey kraut feel than his excessively polite folktronica records.

His free jazz stuff with Steve Reid is pretty good too.

moolac

I’m not so keen on this. Sounds like they met halfway and diluted both their sounds.

that's what usually happens with collabs i find... like a dip in the middle on a crossfader.

anyway, ive not heard it loud or concentrated on it but the 4x4 thing sounded good earlier... kinda more upbeat theo parrish sounding thing, but maybe that was just a wrong impression i got when hearing it in passing