Swine Flu

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Pandemic is imminent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8025931.stm

My partner is a doctor and says that the surgeries are totally prepared, though there seem to be no instances of Tamiflu being shipped to chemists yet, suggesting a slow response from the government.

Amazing stories about people walking into the practise reception sneezing going 'I went to Mexico the other week and seem to have a cold, what should I do?'. Perhaps not walk around the street sneezing, love.

Quite scary, really.

john eden

male pale and stale
It's quite weird how the hysteria about this is yet to hit - it's almost like people have discounted it because bird flu never really took off.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's quite weird how the hysteria about this is yet to hit - it's almost like people have discounted it because bird flu never really took off.

Yeah, it's a case of the the media having cried wolf so much that when a real threat - and talking about it last night with the Doc, this one does seem to have legs - happens, no-one notices. Now human-to-human transmission has occurred it just seems to be a matter of time - or days, really - until mass panic.

Maybe it's not even crying wolf actually, maybe it's just people going into shock that this time it might actually be real.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
an interesting article:

[all] people have done is raise the possibility of things really kicking off, and they are right to do so, but we don't have brilliantly accurate information. Someone has said that up to 40% of the world could be infected. Is that scaremongering? Well it's high, and I'm sure it's a bit of a guess, but maybe up to 40% could be. Annoying, isn't it, not to know.

check out the cliches:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8022102.stm

the beeb is also doing itself proud on the scary picture front:

slide03.gif

slide04.gif

slide06.gif

john eden

male pale and stale
We've had an email about washing your hands come round at work.

Oh and we are let off any business trips to Mexico (thanks! I'll just postpone that one then? wtf?)

martin

----
So it's just a porcine version of 'man flu', really.

I'm not scared of swine flu, I'll just drink lots of whiskey and eat lots of green kiwi fruit and Thai chillis. I won't give greedy Rumsfeld a penny for his hoodoo concoction. Still, I have been coughing more than usual today, and the bloke next to me is sneezing uncontrollably as I type.

martin

----
Had to be a Man U fan, didn't it....cock

Listen, being serious for a minute. If I start spraying snot everywhere, rolling around in mud and oinking, shoot me. Remember, you won't be killing 'me' - I'll already be gone, it's just a virus using my body for camoflage. Do it, or I'll take you all with me.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Had to be a Man U fan, didn't it....cock

Listen, being serious for a minute. If I start spraying snot everywhere, rolling around in mud and oinking, shoot me. Remember, you won't be killing 'me' - I'll already be gone, it's just a virus using my body for camoflage. Do it, or I'll take you all with me.

Ha!

I have decided that I'm going to start doing fake sneezes at every opportunity when I'm in the classroom.

Starting in an hours time

john eden

male pale and stale
"Flu viruses can spread if you don't catch your coughs or sneezes hygienically"

That's just not the right way of saying that, is it.

No it's shit.

But not as shit as someone on the radio this morning saying you can get it "from talking to someone who is infected". What, even on the phone?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
The recorded deaths of this swine flu are so very, very low. More people die from regular flu. A lot more people. This is just SARS all over again. If I can't die from it, I don't care.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
The recorded deaths of this swine flu are so very, very low. More people die from regular flu. A lot more people. This is just SARS all over again. If I can't die from it, I don't care.

you sick fucker- Martin's got a cough for christ's sake