Machinefabriek

zhao

there are no accidents
only thing more unlikely and astounding than this boy's over the top prolific release schedule is the consistantly high quality of each one. reckon i've heard about a dozen or so and not a single dissapointment. i'm not sure how this is even possible... i mean much more famous people regularly let me down.

how do people see his work?

to me what is so special with him is that within a "genre" (post-industrial electro-acoustic ambient-noise digital abstract whatever) filled with the merely "interesting" amidst a weekly ocean of mediocre, non-descript work, his music is not only sonically adventurous, but satisfying, and enjoyable, without succumbing to cliche pastoralism or polite ambience. i find myself wanting to hear his recordings on a regular basis where so much is just meh... those beautiful rich tones...

Last edited:
Yes, I've wondered about this myself, no idea how he does it. Not that I know more than a tiny fraction of his output (who doesn't?), but everything I have is really great. And not just well executed but with depth and emotion and everything.

zhao

there are no accidents
not just well executed but with depth and emotion and everything.

exactly! and these qualities make rewarding music for me. discogs lists 30 from 2007 and 25+ from 2008, including CDs, double CDs, LPs, 12 and 7 inches...

Last edited:

Leo

been interested in him but too intimidated by the volume of releases to dive in...so, where would you suggest i start? lots of the releases, particularly the 3" cds, are limited edition. thanks.

zhao

there are no accidents
been interested in him but too intimidated by the volume of releases to dive in...so, where would you suggest i start? lots of the releases, particularly the 3" cds, are limited edition. thanks.

PM'd

4linehaiku

Repetitive
PMs?
No way, come on spread the knowledge, I'd like to check this out too. Don't know the first thing about this guy but "post-industrial electro-acoustic ambient-noise digital abstract" sounds good. As do most of the other words really.

Dusty

Tone deaf
Its like some kind of a namlook/merzbow-esque stream of musical thought - but with better quality control. I initially thought this was the Boomkat-hype-machines dream come true, an artist they can blow up and flog releases on an almost bi-weekly schedule - but it really is cracking stuff. Almost everything he has put out contains some real gems.

I've bought up most of his output so far, and I would recommend the more recent albums 'dauw' and 'Ranonkel' as starting points. The seventeen minute epic 'Zink' is my highlight on the latter.

He seems to have slowed down this year, thank god, it gives my bank balance a chance to recover.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
There's a free release on the One netlabel, if someone wants a free starter:

http://one.dot9.ca/2/releases.php?id=035

They did a good free Loscil release too - just the drones.

Only heard a couple of other things, didn't like anything enough to go buy it, which I guess is as good an indicator as any that I don't like his music.

zhao

there are no accidents
another artist in this area that has never dissapointed, who consistantly produce gorgeous music that i cherish: Kenneth Kirschner. everything i have good to the last drop and leaves me wanting more! (not nearly as prolific as MF)

Dusty

Tone deaf
Yes, no disrespect to the artist but I think the reason there is so much of it, and the fast turnaround is because once you reach the level where you can produce this kind of ambient drone - once you are in the zone - its fairly easy to make more and more of it.

I find Kirschner to be quite boring - maybe I just don't get it.

Anyway I spoke too soon, theres two new Machinefabriek albums out at the moment you can order directly from him.

zhao

there are no accidents
once you reach the level where you can produce this kind of ambient drone - once you are in the zone - its fairly easy to make more and more of it.

true. this is why there is such an ocean of mediocre boring shit in this vein out there.

however, the same being true of techno or dubstep or hiphop or cumbia, to make anything exceptionally good is surely anything but easy, and he does it consistently.

or am i not seeing possibly "formulaic" aspects of his work?

this is the comment i was anticipating actually. that someone sees it as "more of the same". i need to spend more time with the recordings than i already have, and in the future i might come to the same conclusion; but so far i hear refreshing inventiveness and surprise in almost each piece, albeit sometimes subtle.

I find Kirschner to be quite boring - maybe I just don't get it.

wow... i love hearing different points of view. to me his music is so, so fine...

Dusty

Tone deaf
Just realised I'm an idiot - I really like Kirschner as well, I was thinking of Richard Chartier when it comes to boredom.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Ha, well, I think Kirschner's really boring if that's any help. ;)

Actually, I think it was the ol' saturation thing that got me, not that his material was of no interest.

I downloaded the massive remix project that came off his album with Taylor Deupree, the Open Source Piano or whatever, and just wanted to drink burning coals rather than listen to anything like that for months. So. Much. Stuff.

hopper

Got mixed feelings on machinefabriek, first up I think he releases far too much for me to care about most of his output, given that there isn't even much variation from release to release. Seems like he's tamed his release output though recently. I quite like his last two albums - dauw and ranonkel. He also released a 7 inch on type called Lenteliedjes which was really great, short little pop songs on a completely different tangent to all his other output

zhao

there are no accidents
Ha, well, I think Kirschner's really boring if that's any help. ;)

Actually, I think it was the ol' saturation thing that got me, not that his material was of no interest.

I downloaded the massive remix project that came off his album with Taylor Deupree, the Open Source Piano or whatever, and just wanted to drink burning coals rather than listen to anything like that for months. So. Much. Stuff.

never heard the remix collection but i love Post Piano 1 and 2...

zhao

there are no accidents
Just realised I'm an idiot - I really like Kirschner as well, I was thinking of Richard Chartier when it comes to boredom.

couldn't agree more. Chartier = snooze fest. along with so many others... but he belongs to the lowercase camp, which is kinda different from machinefabriek... on that end of things Steve Roden's work is consistently great.

Last edited: