ancient methods - berlin

padro1982

Quality gear. There were rumours going round that it was Mika Vainio doing these, which has to be a compliment to the 2 guys I guess! The podcast is class, proper dark stuff.

shaolinsoul

Quality gear. There were rumours going round that it was Mika Vainio doing these, which has to be a compliment to the 2 guys I guess! The podcast is class, proper dark stuff.

doubt its Miko behind the music, theres plenty of undiscovered raw talent in berlin who have links to people from hardwax cru. Yeah the podcast is murky, proper dense stuff!

padro1982

Nah, like I said, everyone knows it's not Vainio now, it's 2 guys who have previously recorded as Baeks and Trias from Berlin.

Proper heavy stuff though, great artwork as well.

zhao

there are no accidents
only heard a snippet or 2 but looking forward to the mix. thanks for heads up.

for the past 10 minutes ive been trying to remember this italian label / artist, who does very left field industrial techno with really interesting textures and often dark and abrasive, but not in an expected way... dont think the label has released much stuff at all, im thinking of this compilation (their only?) from early 2000s or even late 90s... every track has a unique sonic character, and sounds totally unique, totally great.

fucking annoying these occasions when you cant remember a name...

shaolinsoul

only heard a snippet or 2 but looking forward to the mix. thanks for heads up.

for the past 10 minutes ive been trying to remember this italian label / artist, who does very left field industrial techno with really interesting textures and often dark and abrasive, but not in an expected way... dont think the label has released much stuff at all, im thinking of this compilation (their only?) from early 2000s or even late 90s... every track has a unique sonic character, and sounds totally unique, totally great.

fucking annoying these occasions when you cant remember a name...

Your chest bredrin!

http://www.bleep43.com/podcast/2009/4/29/podcast-134-donato-dozzy.html

zhao

there are no accidents

that's not it. the label/artist i'm thinking of is much, much less polite, much much less conventional techno than this. they use no normal percussion sounds, everything analogue customized noise... maniacally repetitive, and although 4/4, the syncopation/beat structure is totally unique... doesn't sound like anything else i've ever heard. kind of a more industrial / techno pan sonic maybe but that's perhaps praise just a tad too high...

padro1982

That sounds interesting, I can't think of a label that matches your description off the top of my head.

Another decent industrial/techno label is Zhark, if you discount some of the bullshit gabba releases, the Kareem stuff is ridiculously heavy, Druids especially.

polystyle

Ancient Methods ...

Thanks for the link and info Shaolin , appreciated.
Listening to the pod now . imo around 48m & 1:05 in is what I was looking / hoping for .
These guys are onto something, looking forward to their future.
'Techno' needs some new (synthetic) blood.
;)

Last edited by a moderator:

padro1982

Ah! Yeah he's quality, his album on Raster Noton a couple of years ago was really good, and he did a wicked lo-fi house 12" on Sex Tags a while back as well.

zhao

there are no accidents
surprised at how dull the new Ancient Methods EP is. nice sand paper textures but no variation, just dry and grating monotony.

by contrast the new Planetary Assault Systems - Temporary Suspension is ripe and juicy, if not as abrasive.

EDIT: haha 30 minutes later i take back above about Ancient Methods 3rd. needed to hear it on headphones!!! it is wicked.

Last edited:

shaolinsoul

I think that whole industrial drone soundscape they got going on would make for the most intense club experiance. Its definately not Ipod music.
I like their new bits, but feel as if there veering off into the noise end of things and not a real techno connection.

Im into a lot of Ben Klock at the moment after a mesmerizing show last weekend hes returned my faith in techno. Excellent DJ and knows how to build tension.

zhao

there are no accidents
I think that whole industrial drone soundscape they got going on would make for the most intense club experiance. Its definately not Ipod music.

ah but on my nice headphones it's also great. last night with this and planetary and then started listening to Pan Sonic Kesto. had me thinking i might want to return to techno for a bit... would love to play a proper abstract minimal noise techno set somewhere. you know, not the usual dull kind.

veering off into the noise end of things and not a real techno connection.

i like that. of course euro techno could always use more rhythmic invention/variety, but the noise i love.

shaolinsoul

ah but on my nice headphones it's also great. last night with this and planetary and then started listening to Pan Sonic Kesto. had me thinking i might want to return to techno for a bit... would love to play a proper abstract minimal noise techno set somewhere. you know, not the usual dull kind.

i like that. of course euro techno could always use more rhythmic invention/variety, but the noise i love.

ever heard of this guy?
http://www.myspace.com/terrencedixonmusic

hes amazing.