Bit on BBC 1 now about Deal Real and Lady Sovreign

mms

sometimes
i'm enjoying the item on rusty old sheds at the bottom of allotments more frankly.

especially the line 'more and more women in London are getting sheds' he he

anyone catch it? summary...

1 - lady sovereign was birthed out of open mic nights
hmmmmm....can anyone verify this pls

2 - the journalist, gary crowley, felt the need to mention that shes being sponsored by "the company that bought bob marley to england"
i guess this adds authenticity

3 - ross of casual thought that "she had it" when he first heard her. He also describes grime as "dark, nasty futuristic funk"

4 - deal real is murkle!!!
big up to deal real and the open mic nights. Im sure they featured some white female rapper that I remember from the 'imagine' prog. on bbc 1 about a year ago on hip hop. I cant believe shes till trying lol...

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Wasn't it Real Deal that hosted Victoria Aitken's first attempt at hip hop? On that show 'Young, Posh and Loaded', it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I remember some white girl who could have only been about 17, straggly hair, old clothes, at Real Deal on that Chancers programme. Anyone know who she was? She was bloody good - get her a record deal.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
"Lady Sovereign is one of the leading proponents of the grime scene."

After reading that I'm quite glad I missed the program.

What's wrong with that, if they mean 'leading' as in 'most likely to be someone people have heard of/spend money on one day?'

stelfox

Beast of Burden
outraygeous said:
lady sov was spawned from the internet as far as i know

oh come on, for god's sake be a bit fair to the girl, she does admit that in the piece on the bbc london website. nobody has really thrown anything at her that she doesn't openly fess up to.

Red Rooster

Ned said:
What's wrong with that, if they mean 'leading' as in 'most likely to be someone people have heard of/spend money on one day?'

I think more people who are actually into grime would more likely have heard of Kano than her.

jenks

thread death
as someone who has mainly read about grime (and mainly here) i thought it was interesting to see they went for the women in grime angle - less threatening perhaps?
old crowley desperately wanting to feel hip though was my lasting impression

jenks said:
as someone who has mainly read about grime (and mainly here) i thought it was interesting to see they went for the women in grime angle - less threatening perhaps?
old crowley desperately wanting to feel hip though was my lasting impression

lol 'old crowley' - he shouldnt really try to be hip as Rock/indie/alternative is in a extremely healthy state in the UK.

mms

sometimes
Tactics said:
lol 'old crowley' - he shouldnt really try to be hip as Rock/indie/alternative is in a extremely healthy state in the UK.

i wouldn't say it was 'healthy' at all .

just getting cash thrown at it

Cornflake

I know mates that say they used to be on the roads with er and that she has been merked time and time again, then all of a sudden she got big after getting some lyrics from other manz....

most ppl ive talked to say she was on the net and all manz were like lady sov is buff chick and whatnot and thats what its all bout, not her talents....

again this is wut im hearing from ppl