White soul

crackerjack

Apologies in advance for the mildly racist title, but I just heard this for the first time in years and felt an urgent need to share the love. An unremarkable voice, but an utterly fanastic record.

IdleRich

IdleRich
What is it? Can't see it at work. I thought the term was blue-eyed soul though.
Who was it who did that funksoul tune called "I'm White, I'm Alright"? Pretty good I seem to remember but the sentiment is... well I'm not sure I'd play it out.

crackerjack

What is it? Can't see it at work. I thought the term was blue-eyed soul though.
Who was it who did that funksoul tune called "I'm White, I'm Alright"? Pretty good I seem to remember but the sentiment is... well I'm not sure I'd play it out.

I was gonna call it that, but it's Take Me With You by Lyn Christopher, so blue-eyed would've seemed a bit odd. (There's a big part of me that's an incorrigible pedant, for which i blame my Mum).

edit: googling "I'm White, I'm Alright" now with a sense of trepidation...

edit 2: Vic Waters

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So like, James Blunt and stuff, yeah?

Edit: that was intended as a joke. Never mind.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Yeah, except, less dull and more, y'know, soulful.

Robin Thicke may be lame, but his song "Perfect World" or "Dream World", I can't remember the exact title, gets him definite kudos.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah elvis was a weird one... i used to dismiss him along the usual copycat lines, but a friend of mine gave me a CD full of songs that people never usually hear and his original take on the borrowed styles is unmistakable.

the majority of these songs were quite depressing, but even more than that: they were little sad and blue trips out in space, in like, another galaxy - truly bizaaro emotional territory. and if his voice wasn't so recognizable i swear you would think it's a female vocalist, but much stranger than Holiday or even who was that one that sounded like a man? also billy something? (i'm just fucking horrible with names this week)

it was some serious pioneering trans-gender type shit. maybe a precursor to Vincent Gallow's frail and tender little effigies to love-never-had, full of self pity?

Benny Bunter

it was some serious pioneering trans-gender type shit. maybe a precursor to Vincent Gallow's frail and tender little effigies to love-never-had, full of self pity?

Bloody hell, I think you can credit him with a bit more than that Zhao!

gumdrops

whats racist about saying 'white soul'? :confused:

as far as modern 'blue eyed soul' artists, i like thicke, jon b, timberlake, winehouse, well most of them tbh, apart from obviously horribly affected artists like joss stone.

Client Eastwood

Teena Marie - Quite a few from her.
Cybil Shephard - yes that one from Moonlighting, but I guess that's more on a crooning tip but I there was one nice uptempo soul one too she did but I cant recall the title.

zhao

there are no accidents
Er, Nina Simone?:confused:

no no no. nina's voice was amazingly deep but she was the essence of femininity... and not the stereotypical weak feel-sorry-for-herself kind either (which, much as i love and respect her, billy holiday kind of embodied in her songs, all those odes to abusive relationships - "my man beats me but i love him so", etc.)

i was thinking of Little Jimmy Scott. but i mean only sometimes, and not completely... more on some albums/songs than others...