Slint All Tomorow's Parties

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Slint the band = stunning
Slint's bands, that they selected = largely rubbish apart from The Melvins

At least Slint were amazing. Isn't Spiderland the last really blueprint-defying rock album? Has there been anything approaching that paradigm shift in the fourteen years since it was released?

ryan17

Diggedy Derek said:
Slint the band = stunning
Slint's bands, that they selected = largely rubbish apart from The Melvins

At least Slint were amazing. Isn't Spiderland the last really blueprint-defying rock album? Has there been anything approaching that paradigm shift in the fourteen years since it was released?

yeah it was probably the worst line-up in the history of ATP.

i thought that about spiderland, but i think Neutral Milk Hotel - 'in the aeroplane over the sea' really wins out. i guess that was 1999. not sure though.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
yeah, slint were amazing.
a couple of other bands were good- naysayer, matmos, deerhoof. even mogwai were ok.

in general far too much ironic metal. even at 5 o'clock in the morning in the pub. they should have stuck to jungle.

spiderland is one of the greatest records ever. full stop.

matmos "we don't really fit in this bill"
bloke behind me "yeah you're not fcuking shit"

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I love 'spiderland' too (and their first one) and will be seeing Slint at the Forum tomorrow night. Though was speaking to a friend yesterday about Slint and 'spiderland' being perhaps the first 'post-rock' record, and we agreed that despite this and some other decent efforts, (the total sum of) post-rock had had an almost zero affect on the mainstream.

ewmy

Genre Addict
I thought it was a highly enjoyable weekend, and Slint were spectacular. Personal other high points were David Yow's late appearance on Friday, The Naysayer, White Magic, Mogwai, and Pearls & Brass. And I thought Múm were an inspired choice to end on. But I agree there was far too much ironic (and even not so ironic) metal, and it would have been nice to hear ONE DJ pull off ONE mix, seeing as they either didn't bother at all or continually fucked up.

The real highlight happened in one of the many minute-long pauses in Slint's set, after "Breadcrumb", I think. There was near-total silence where I was standing as people absorbed the majesty and grandeur of this once-in-a-lifetime occasion, lost in introverted reflection, probably with their eyes closed etc etc. Then someone bellowed:

"NOT BAD!"

Genius!

ryan17

how was endless boogie?

i keep hearing random US east coast hipsters babbling on about them.

ewmy

Genre Addict
I saw the last half an hour of Endless Boogie - and I think it was just this one classic droning hard-rock riff going ON and ON with the rest of the band (presumably) improvising over the top, including some really wanky axeman action from the frontman, who had the circa 1971 look off pat. I remember he was wearing a brown leather waistcoat - in fact, if he wasn't that PROVES how circa 1971 he was. If it had been sub-5 minutes long it would have reminded me of grizzled covers bands I have seen in pubs, but the sheer length of this one song sent me into a riff-induced trance and hence reminded me of Spiritualized live, and even more drawn-out. I liked it.

Woebot

i picked up spiderland the day it came out on the basis of that steve albini review in the melody maker. i was a huge big black fan, and when one of your heroes comes out and says "this is the most important record ive ever heard" and chucks in references to television's "marquee moon" and the first crazy horse lp you dont sleep on it. i just love that record, such a mysterious artifact too. however, to this day i havent heard 'tweez' though have taken in some squirrelbait and was pretty disappointed. where the hell did 'spiderland' come from?

whats neutral mik hotel? and (sorry to sound vaguely populist) but there's absolutely no ignoring the first tortoise lp. i remember big black dudes buying copies of that from fat cat records back in the day.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
WOEBOT said:
where the hell did 'spiderland' come from?

that's one of the reasons why its so good!

the leap from spiderland to tortoise (brilliant thought the first lp is) is nowhere near as great as the leap from tweez to spiderland (you can join the dots, which you can't really do with anything preceding spiderland)

tweez IS a fine album- kinda jazzy in a pre-don cabellero way, but sounds like an entirely different band.

re: squirrelbait- bitch magnet (a post-squirrelbait unit) are far superior, and sound like a 'more metal slint'

Last edited:
Am off to Forum tonight too....and agree entirely about the Neutral Milk Hotel record, whoever mentioned it. Listened to it hundreds of times, and I still don't know anything about the band, and never seen them. Bought their first LP, but wasn't nearly as good as the eponymous one....strange how that happens sometimes...anyone else coming tonight?

Andrew

Like Woebot I bought spiderland in the week it came out on the basis of the review in mm and it's one of the few records that I go back to on a regular basis Saw them last night and the bits that were good were outstanding, but for a fair chunk of the evening I was bored ridged. Basically a perfect illustration of what was/is great and shite with post rock. But def,. Worth it for the good bit which reminded why I listen to white boys with guitars in the first place

Hope you enjoy it tonight

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Downstairs, I thought the sound last night was pretty damn poor. Sometimes you couldn't tell they'd changed a chord, which is the death-knell to material as intricate as Spiderland. Still quite good, but they were stunning at ATP.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
A decent enough night…but they were extremely faithful to the 2 LPs. This made the whole thing seem like some kind of re-enactment (“Slint play a tribute to Slint”)…it just would’ve been nice to hear some new stuff