wireless access points with ethernet ports

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I'm looking for a switch that has wireless basically - and they don't seem to make them! So I'm looking for ideas.

Here's what I want to do.

The house has a router in a plant room that's plugged into the BT master socket. I've got ethernet cabling around the house that's plugged into a patch panel. The four ports on the router are plugged into the patch panel depending on which room needs ethernet access to the internet (just 1 or 2 at the moment).

So in my studio I have one live ethernet socket which works fine. But I could do with two or more, and I want wireless as well - the signal can't make it through all that concrete between the plant room and my room.

So to me, the obvious thing to buy is a wireless access point that has a 4 port switch built in. But try as I might I can't find anything!

Do I have to buy a switch, and then hang a wireless access point off that?

I'm also wondering about getting a 12 port switch so I can get internet access to all ethernet sockets- will this work oj and can anyone suggest an easy to use switch? (There's loads of cheap ones on ebay, but most of them are scary looking Cisco things!)

All ideas gratefully accepted...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Not a bad suggestion, but Airport Express doesn't have ethernet ports, which I need for printers etc. Airport Extreme does have some ethernet ports - though only 3 - and it's £139, which is a bit bit pricey. You can get an 8 port switch and a wireless access point for half that.

john eden

male pale and stale
Or alternatively suggest to the architect of your house that it is not fit for purpose and demand compensation. ;)

craner

Beast of Burden
The wireless switch on my computer seems to have stopped working. At least, when I look at the LAN utility window, the radio HW thing does switch from off to on when I press it, but this seems to have no effect on the wirelss connection. I.e. the little light on the keyboard doesn't come on. So I'm confused, what's broken and why?