unmissable selection of ragga from droid on fact site

nomos

Administrator
looks great!

droid said:
Scene historians, music journalists and academics have produced reams of text and dozens of books dedicated to reggae, from ska/rocksteady and Studio One, 70's dub and roots to early dancehall and the digital revolution (even UK variants like Lovers Rock and Fast Chat get a look in), but these narratives come to a sudden stop once you hit the late 80's...
mostly true afaik with the notable exception of stolzoff's wake the town and tell the people. excellent book on dancehall.

Top-a-top selection Droid. A mampi-sized undertaking, rather you than me!
Comments (rather than complaints):
I don't know who you'd replace, but a list such as this has to include an independent entry for Bounty Killer doesn't it? I'd also somehow try to squeeze in Merciless' Hollywood name-dropping 'Mavis' - a riddim so big not even Shaggy could ruin it!

shaolinsoul

On it bredrin!

drew for Ackie - call me rambo just after reading the article. Badman riddim still.

and If there was ever a red-stripe moment..

D

droid

Top-a-top selection Droid. A mampi-sized undertaking, rather you than me!
Comments (rather than complaints):
I don't know who you'd replace, but a list such as this has to include an independent entry for Bounty Killer doesn't it? I'd also somehow try to squeeze in Merciless' Hollywood name-dropping 'Mavis' - a riddim so big not even Shaggy could ruin it!

Ye-aahh... kinda OTM about bounty... ysee, i had pretty strict criteria for this - had to be original riddims, not recuts. Most of my favourite tunes from him are all over old riddims (Spy fi die, Not another word, Down in the ghetto etc...) so they didn't fit in, and when it came down to it I was about a month late finishing this with 4 tunes and 2 places to fit in at the last moment, so he just ended up being left out... a quick decision under pressure and probably the wrong one... should really have gone back and edited it. Probably would've put 'dead this time' on the duck dance riddim in there.

And yes Paul - I overlooked stolzoff somehow, just blanked it. i bought it a good while back and lent it to someone... out of sight...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ach!

Turd on the Run
PHEW!
I'm worn out dancing to "Bruk Wine Butterfly".

Great, great list.

edit:

OH THIS IS ALL SO GOOD!

Last edited:

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I quietly ripped them from the youtube for my own listening purposes! The ones that were uploaded in HD mode would only download in normal scratchy tinny mode for some reason. I kinda like it, as they all end up sounding as if they were recorded from radio onto a rotten old tape from the 90s!

Last edited:

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Thats a great selection & some informative writing. Some memories there from my nineties...

Agreed with the intro about people outside of the dancehall scene generally loving everything up to the mid-80s dancehall & then not being able to deal with the ragga stuff. I've seen it very clearly progress in an extremely predictable manner...in the mid-nineties, people didn't even get dancehall, it was all rootsy dub from the seventies or nothing at all. I got some awful funny looks (actually, more pitying looks, really!) being white in Leeds & asking to listen to ragga stuff in shops. Give it five years or less & the music press will be all over early nineties ragga...Bagga Jedd box sets, the lot :p