John Eden and Paul Meme present Lyric Maker (from England and Jamaica): an eighties d

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i strongly urge you all to download this.
it's absolutely shagging spectacular - so glad you guys have thrown it online at last.
i was getting to the point where i was going to ask if i could host it because it really does deserve as wide an audience as possible < / gushing sycophancy! >

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Cheers fellas, much appreciated.

I was hoping this was going to be the best dancehall mix ever made, but it isn't quite that good.

I do think it's fucking fabulous, even though I've been listening to almost nothing else since the middle of October.

D

droid

Good stuff! - been flicking through it, and have a few questions/comments

1. Thriller U – Sweetest Sound (Digital B 1989)

This is the 'Fade Away' riddim right?

6. Cutty Ranks – Gunman Lyrics (Techniques)

Didnt know there was a cut of this on the 'Tings n Time' Riddim. Ive got a different version released about the same time on a different one...

8. Gregory Isaacs – Storm (Penthouse 2002)

LOVE this riddim! though as you dipped into the 2001 versions, im surprised you didnt go for the Buju/Gregory version of 'storm'...

redcrescent

Phoarrr... I'm loving this!

After that stellar roots set, a fantastic bunch of dancehall tunes with plenty of dubstyle action throughout. Lovely.

Thanks to both of you!

john eden

male pale and stale
droid said:
Good stuff! - been flicking through it, and have a few questions/comments

Didnt know there was a cut of this on the 'Tings n Time' Riddim. Ive got a different version released about the same time on a different one...

LOVE this riddim! though as you dipped into the 2001 versions, im surprised you didnt go for the Buju/Gregory version of 'storm'...

Droid - the Buju/Gregpory one was on my shake the foundations two mix, as was the warrior king! Wanted at least a bit of variety on this one. Will get back to you riddim stuff but sounds like you are on it. I only know that cut of the Cutty Ranks!

Oh yes and thanks for all the great comments from people who got the CD version at the dissensus meet up. This one is marginally different, spotters... ;) we can probably sort out a few people with CDs versions if they are on dial up...

john eden

male pale and stale
droid said:

LOL - yes, but I only noticed this because you pointed it out! It's from a split LP with Admiral Tibet called "Two good to be true" or something like that.

hint

party record with a siren
this mix is great!

the kind of music I know very little about, which makes it extra special to hear so much at once.

redcrescent

droid said:
'Fade Away' riddim
I don't have my music with me and I might be sticking my scrawny neck out too far on this one, but here goes.
"Fade Away" riddim e.g. Junior Byles "Fade Away", Horace Andy "Fade Away", Ranking Joe "Weakheart fadeaway"...
The Thriller U track in question uses a digital remake of that riddim and that I think was called "Peanie Peanie", like the Shabba Ranks tune of the same name (also '89 and produced by Bobby Digital) which was versioned many times over by other artists (Chaka Demus "Original Kuff" on Jammys, Cocoa Tea, Spragga Benz, Pinchers, Lt. Stitchie, a whole other bunch on Ragga Ragga Ragga 4...)

(Confusingly, Little John's take on the "Peanie Peanie" riddim is called "Fade Away".)

Bear in mind I may be talking utter shite here.

believekevin

psyched on this mix!

ps: i had similar issues with WP and comment spam. there is a fix online somewhere. essentially, you need to manually clean out your database. someone is inserting comments for posts you haven't written yet!

D

droid

Ive listened to it all now. The effects and sirens are great! really brings the mix together...

This is the stand out tune for me...

26. Papa Levi - Big ‘n’ Broad (Island 1984)

Levis Delivery is unbelievable... when the bassline comes back in after the 'champion-bubbler' breakdown, I can almost hear the crowd shout for the rewind....

27. Tippa Irie - Lyric Maker (UK Bubblers 1985)

Anything on 'throw me corn' has to be good! Its such an uplifting riddim. Ive got an amazing dirty digi 7 of this from Phill Pratt circa '84, with Horace Andy doing a version of 'old McDonald had a farm' on the A side...

john eden said:
Droid - the Buju/Gregpory one was on my shake the foundations two mix, as was the warrior king! Wanted at least a bit of variety on this one.

:D I just cant get enough of it though! The penthouse dub of that riddim is also particularly good if i remember correctly.

"Fade Away" riddim e.g. Junior Byles "Fade Away", Horace Andy "Fade Away", Ranking Joe "Weakheart fadeaway"...
The Thriller U track in question uses a digital remake of that riddim and that I think was called "Peanie Peanie", like the Shabba Ranks tune of the same name (also '89 and produced by Bobby Digital) which was versioned many times over by other artists (Chaka Demus "Original Kuff" on Jammys, Cocoa Tea, Spragga Benz, Pinchers, Lt. Stitchie, a whole other bunch on Ragga Ragga Ragga 4...)

I have a bunch of relatively recent Digital B 7's that have yet another version of this.. Morgan heritage/Blackmans paradise, Jahmali/long long time & Junior Byles/Fade Away. There was also a Little John 7 on Firehouse released on it in 2003, and a re-release of the original on 'Joe Frazier' last year (sounds very like the bobby digital version I mentioned above).

Your right about 'Peanie Peanie'. Its the name of the digital version of the riddim, which pushed the bassline a LOT more - though the Tippa version in the mix is definitely a lot cleaner than the versions of 'Peanie Peanie' that I've heard, so it may fall into the 'fade away' bin.... :confused:

Gotta love those 'ragga ragga ragga' comps though.. theyre usually chock full of early 90's dancehall goodness.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
droid said:
Ive listened to it all now. The effects and sirens are great! really brings the mix together...
Really glad you liked 'em Droid!

Your posts on this thread are really educational and helpful, much appreciated by me and John, will work your info into the tracklisting...

droid said:
This is the stand out tune for me...

Yeah, papa levi in full effect, just builds and builds... particularly tasty timestretched siren in there too :).

droid said:
Anything on 'throw me corn' has to be good! Its such an uplifting riddim. Ive got an amazing dirty digi 7 of this from Phill Pratt circa '84, with Horace Andy doing a version of 'old McDonald had a farm' on the A side...

When's your mix gonna go up, I wanna hear these!

john eden

male pale and stale
2stepfan said:
Yeah, papa levi in full effect, just builds and builds... particularly tasty timestretched siren in there too :).

I'm with droid on this one - papa levi is the best and I think has the edge on Tippa, no matter what Paul says. :)