Bedtime music

Benny Bunter

I wonder how many of you like to go to sleep listening to music? I got into the habit just to drown out noise from my flatmates cos I'm a light sleeper and now I can't sleep without it.

I can sleep to just about anything as long as its something that I'm familiar with, it doesn't have to be anything soft and gentle. I can even put on hip hop or house music as long as I know it. I go for long stretches listening to the same cd every night for weeks, there's something really comforting about it. I must have gone to sleep listening to Bitches Brew a thousand times.

Another big bed-time hit for me was the 2nd Burial album. Absolutely perfect to drift off to, I'm usually asleep by the time it gets to the third song (this should not be taken as a criticism of Burial though!).

Currently stuck in the CD player: Filles de Kilimanjaro.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Current 93 - Sleep Has His House is a current favourite, also early Low, The Caretaker, William Basinski, and a fair bit of lo-fi psych/hard rock type stuff with warm analogue fuzz.

muser

I have never really been able to sleep with music actually playing but if I want to comotose/calm myself I always go back to things like múm, joanna newsom & quite often "gypsy life on the road" by ando drom. I think only a few things really work in that way and is definitely to do with a combination of familiarity and, for me, warmth/musically "surrounding" sound .

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Used to enjoy a bit of Boards Of Canada or Plaid before bed, but the only time I've done it recently was drifting off to that recent Sebasien Tellier album with the missus.

mixed_biscuits

I normally drift off whilst listening to music. The style doesn't really matter; in fact, I typically choose happy hardcore on a low setting. What is important is having a player and headphones that can survive the fall off the bed.

I wonder if the emotive content of the music influences your dreams.

rouge's foam

a deadly secretion
I sometimes find that the right music on the threshold of hearing distracts me enough to send me off. My favourite for this is the first track of Funkadelic's 'Maggot Brain', called, er, 'Maggot Brain'. 'Out of the Wires' by theboylucas too, leaving it going.

If I still can't kip, Anne Clark's 'Sleeper in Metropolis' obnoxiously loud, SMD 'Sleep Deprivation' or 'Nessun Dorma' (none shall sleep) as the birds sing and the sun rises. perhaps.

I hear audio noise is really good for sleep, I had a friend who couldn't sleep without it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise I reckon the best for zeds would be blue.

rouge's foam

a deadly secretion
What am I talking about, of course it's gotta be the Durutti Column! There's even a track called 'Sleep will come' on 'The Return of the Durutti Column'. In the same sense, early Felt too.

Krasner

I almost always go to sleep with music on. Perennial favourites include Basinski's Disintegration Loops, GAS and Grouper. I also like some minamalist stuff (Terry Riley, Gavin Bryars et cetera).

I think the few times i've felt completely immersed in music has been in that wonderful half awake period before you properly fall asleep.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Always fall asleep listening to music, it relaxes me and keeps my mind off the 'will i fall asleep' thing... The Congos, Aphex Twin (ambient works), Mozart, martyn's fabric mix etc.

Client Eastwood

I cant fall asleep with music on. But I do sometime wake up about 4am for some odd reason and then cant sleep. Grab my mp3 player and headphones. Music sounds great at this time has an other worldly quality about it. Ill listen till about 6 and catch an hours sleep before waking at 7 if on a weekday.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I go through stages with it but at the moment couldn't imagine dropping off without some music on low. Long mixes of slow-ish stuff seem to work best, although as has been said almost anything will do the job if you're sufficiently familiar with it.

I once spent the night round Tufnell Park/Kentish Town way trying hard to stay awake while the inhouse DJs mixed gabba at full volume. I didn’t want to fall asleep in case I had nightmares.
Truly horrible music..
Conversely, some mid-90s NY hip hop (Beatnuts/Nas/Raekwon first albums) has quiet a cosy feel. Co-sign Corpsey on The Congos and Jacob Miller's Who Say Jah No Dread, which includes the dubs, is good bedtime listening. I’ve fallen asleep to Talk Talk’s Spirit of Eden plenty of times too.

continuum

smugpolice
I love listening to music at bedtime. A favourite from my youth was a DJ Dougal tape from about 91-92 recorded at Milwaukees which I listened to every night for about a year! Nowadays a nice bifta before bedtime and then some bass heavy music is just the ticket.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

The other day I came home from work and fell asleep on my coach and had this dream that wasn't very eventful until everyone in my dream starting talking in Frisco lyrics. After enduring this for far too long in dreamland, I woke up and realized I'd left Kiss FM on.