coffin joe

nochexxx

harco pronting
josé mojica marins aka zé do caixão

today i watched what is said to be brazil's first horror film 'at midnight i'll take your soul'. directed by joe marins aka coffin joe.

200px-Marins_poster5.jpg

although i found the film compelling to watch i was underwhelmed if i'm honest. a film buff friend remarked to me that coffin joe makes jodorosky appear like a traditional school boy. whether he was referring to his work or personality i am unsure. however because of this i was expecting something truly original/remarkable! unfortunately as good as this film was it failed to live up to my original expectations.

so i fully expect there's gold to be found amongst his filmography and am therefore hopping you dissensus film guru's can point me towards more of his work, the outstanding work which i'm hoping is in existence?

IdleRich

IdleRich
The only one I've seen is his (I think) third film called Awakening of The Beast - it is fucking nuts. I think he didn't have enough money to make the whole film in colour so he decided to splash out on the extended hell/hallucination scene leaving the rest of the film in black and white.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awakening_of_the_Beast

I think it's supposed to be his most "out there" film but I'd like to see more of his stuff. I don't suppose that you have At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul on dvd by any chance....?
Coffin Joe was a crazy character anyway, I think he made his first film at fourteen or something and later on he ran an acting school where all the students were encouraged to learn numbered facial expressions, then, when he was directing them he would simply say "Number 35" or whatever instead of trusting them to act naturally as required.

"film buff friend remarked to me that coffin joe makes jodorosky appear like a traditional school boy"
People always like to say things like that though don't they? I bet if you were a big Coffin Joe fan and he was recommending Jodorowsky he would have said it the other way round.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i could certainly try and rip that film along with another two coffin joe films. i think they form some kinda trilogy. in fact looking at it closer it includes the film you just mentioned.

nochexxx

harco pronting
he ran an acting school where all the students were encouraged to learn numbered facial expressions, then, when he was directing them he would simply say "Number 35" or whatever instead of trusting them to act naturally as required.

haha, not exactly hellman style!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i could certainly try and rip that film along with another two coffin joe films. i think they form some kinda trilogy. in fact looking at it closer it includes the film you just mentioned"
That would make me very happy. I think the second one is called something like At Midnight I'll Enter Your Corpse if I remember correctly.

"haha, not exactly hellman style!"
That reminds me, I've got that China 9 thing now if you're interested, I'm sure Matt won't mind. It's a solid western but nothing more than that really.

nochexxx

harco pronting
ok i'm on it. will pm you when i'm done, bear with me though! i've never burned a dvd before and i'm crap with technology tbh. :eek:

yeah i'd love to see china 9 liberty 37.......... please pass the message onto robertson. ;)

incidentally i've now watched flight to fury and ride the whirlwind, both were pleasant enough but no where near as good as the full fibre hellman classics.

Octopus?

It's been a while, but I love "At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul..." (doesn't it begin with TWO warnings not to watch the film you're about to see?) but must admit that "...This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse" is even more out there (Coffin Joe seeks mate to bear his seed, putting all the candidates through a variety of ordeals to determine their potential only to be whisked down to hell by the devil himself for his hubris) and "Awakening of the Beast" is bananas

...the only film I've ever seen where an orgy sequence culminating with a women penetrated by a massive crucifix (I believe) while the bearers hum the theme song to "Bridge Over the River Kwai" is one of the most normal parts of the movie.

God bless José Mojica Marins!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"...the only film I've ever seen where an orgy sequence culminating with a women penetrated by a massive crucifix (I believe) while the bearers hum the theme song to "Bridge Over the River Kwai" is one of the most normal parts of the movie."
Yeah, that's the film I'm thinking of for sure. That scene (the tree/crucifix fucking one) was eclipsed by later ones but it still sticks in my mind for some reason.

"ok i'm on it. will pm you when i'm done, bear with me though! i've never burned a dvd before and i'm crap with technology tbh."
Me too - anything like that I get someone else to do for me to be honest.

martin

----
Coffin Joe's a genius, a brilliant satirist who completely got on the authorities' wicks at the time. "Awakening of the Beast" was such a revelation when I first saw it - Channel 4 put it out at 2am about 10 years ago, back in the days when it wasn't scared of showing totally independent, off the wall films. It also features "Guerra" by De Kalafe, probably the best Brazilian psychedelic pop record of all time.

nochexxx

harco pronting
last night i watched 'This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse', which i thought was fantastic. especially the hell scene which blurts in colour for a good 10 minutes. i'm now starting recognise coffin joe's genius. looking forward to watching the next one.

btw those finger nails are for real!

nochexxx

harco pronting
out of the three coffin joe films i've watched finis hominis (the end of man) is my favourite. or is it because i'm starting to understand joe marins method of madness? his films have an underlying morality, which come across purposely built to challenge society's hang ups. finis hominis plot about a messianic figure walking the street conducting miracles, then vanishing after he so righteously truth slays the peoples is beautifully concise.

viktorvaughn

Awakening of The Beast I got from Lovefilm after reading this thread, quite funny/wierd...i keep falling asleep in the eve watching movies is the only problem.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Awakening of The Beast I got from Lovefilm after reading this thread, quite funny/wierd...i keep falling asleep in the eve watching movies is the only problem.

according to coffin joe that's his greatest work. i really must see this.

incidentally over the weekend i watched another CJ film called perversao, which i thought was immense. i won't go into to much detail in case anyone here decides to watch it. one thing i will say is the soundtrack was ace, cutting between floyd, psyche and disco amongst other things. (much like the edit scene), in fact i heard a more primitive sounding version of 'i feel love'.