how much do you read?

gumdrops

i average about 1 book a month but often end up getting sidelined by mags or papers or just end up starting loads of books, without ever really finishing one. im sure i dont read as fast as i used to.

luka

1 or 2 books a week on average, sometimes more, sometimes long periods where i read nothing.
i also start much more than i finish.

crackerjack

About twice as much as I did, that now I've all but given up weed. On average a book a week, which probably boils down to 3-4 days for a novel I'm really into, and maybe two weeks for a weighty historical tome.

Just finished this, which I expected to start brilliantly and peter out, but was actually the other way round.

john eden

male pale and stale
yeah about a book a month, depending on what it is. I generally read academic/cultural studies stuff with footnotes and shit these days. Or pulpy fiction, which takes a lot less.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, it was about a book a week but every now and again I have periods where I'm out every evening and I don't read anything at all. I've been "reading" Tristram Shandy for about a month now but I only have a chance to open it about once a week and even then I can only spare five minutes.

luka

also never remember even the faintest details of anything i've read after i've finished it. which is good if you want to re-read something, elss good if you want to impress people with your eridition.

gumdrops

yeah i think i read slower now so i can maybe retain more. not sure its working though. just finished crash, which has made me wanna read a lot more again though, which is a nice feeling.

crackerjack

also never remember even the faintest details of anything i've read after i've finished it. which is good if you want to re-read something, elss good if you want to impress people with your eridition.

I always remember the build up, say the first half, two-thrids, but never the ending.

D

droid

So far Ive read 62 books/graphic novels this year. Last year I read 153.

D

droid

I make a list. Didnt know Art Garfunkel did though!!

Its actually 63 for this year.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
ah, my wife has started keeping a list, but she is also reaching back into her memory for what she had already read, which is a no-go for me----i'd be inventing novels and authors...

maybe i will start a numbered list now.

a book a month sounds too many. maybe a book every two? i tend to read longer books. i don't often pick up books under 300 pages though recent life changes has altered that a bit as i am now reading Valis and just finished a couple Dostoyevsky novellas.

yeah. 0.5 a month for me.

D

droid

LOL... Its actually a mix of comics and books - but I dont include individual comics... one of those listings is for 242 volumes of Naruto for example...

I spend about 2-21/2 hours on public transport a day... that's how I have time to read so much - and why I'm resisting cycling to work.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ yeah you know that's it. i am on a train 1/5th of my former rate and that was a large chunk of my reading time.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
On average probably about two books a month. I am a slow reader. If I try and read fast I don't retain anything, and I also have the habit of looking up every single word I don't know in a dictionary.

About 2 books per month plus 3-4 comics (in trade/graphic novel/album format). I mainly read on the train to/from work, but can't concentrate enough there to digest a lot so I read relatively slow.