can you sing?

sufi

lala
i have always had this idea that if i got some proper training i might have a lovely 'singing voice' (& become a massive pop star obv :D)
is that realistic? or am i fooling myself...?
can singers just sing without training or at least practise and support??

muser

I think the voice is an instrument like any other and you need to learn to use it, some people have better voices (physically) than others but im sure creativley anyone could sound 'good' if they took time. I cant sing for shit though.

Amplesamples

there are some singers who can sound beautiful without training eg Billy Holiday.

Also some singers would probably lose the 'character' of their voice if they did have vocal training eg Nick Cave, Bob Dylan, loads of pop and rock singers.

The best singers are ones that practise loads though, even if they don't have formal training. It's like anything else innit. And the earlier you start the better.

From your post I assume that you can sing in tune? It's very very difficult to get an adult to sing in tune if they can't, tends to be something learned in childhood.

If you can't sing in tune, I would give it a miss tbh, unless you're prepared to put in an awesome amount of effort.

john eden

male pale and stale
"He sings too much" - my bossy daughter at the weekend. :D

It wasn't even conscious of it, to be honest! Just round the house stuff.

I was in the choir at school but I think for most people that is just a "wisdom of the crowd" scenario where the mass of singers cancels out any minor aberations.

I don't really have any desire to inflict my vocals on the general public, tho, and am always at the back of the queue for karaoke.

Benny Bunter

I sing backing vocals in a band but I absolutely detest doing it live in front of people. And I'll only ever double up with the main singer or do harmonies because I hate the sound of my voice on its own, its just too weedy. I don't practice anywhere near enough to be truly good. I can hold a tune though...

I've got big respect for proper singers who have the confidence to go for it though. (well, as long as I like their voice) Its a very, very difficult thing to do indeed.

Yeah, I've got a very strong baritone. Absolutely useless at anything out of a very specific range, mind.