grime/dubstep Triathlon

appleblim

OK, its the official grime/dubstep/insert your name for it here Triathlon this weekend:

FWD>> on thursday (wonder/plasticman/kode 9)@ plastic people

Run The Road on friday (Wiley/D Double/Kano) @fabric

DMZ on saturday (digital mystikz/skream/plasticman/loefah/youngsta/EVERYONE!) @mass, brixton

its gonna take stamina, but people, this is 'our' Southport surely?!! (without the chalets unfortunately)

who's with me?!

...not forgetting dizzee at africa remix and the showcase night at cargo this month.

i think we'll all need a rest in april.

orson

il be there ... will try to make it to all 3 but for shure to frwd and dmz

anyone knows how much frwd is ???

Mika

!

Be sure to get back to us here with a review of sorts - being stuck in Melb, I'm totally eager to hear how it all went!

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i might make it tonight and tomorrow, deffo not saturday. tonight's dubious. i can never get anyone to go to fwd coz they think it'll be boring.

ambrose

yeh forward is boring the way it doesnt come up to leeds LOL

(well, i missed plasticman when he played, apparently no one turned up...maybe i should put my plans for a grime night in leeds on hold)

Red Rooster

I fell at the first hurdle!

How was FWD last night? Any good?

I should rep @ Run The Road and DMZ though.

P.S. I'm loving the comment on the post above ^^

Does anybody else see the irony!!

Poet for Hire

ok, 2 out of three so far
thursday was the best fwd I've ever been too, Plasticman and Kode9 absolutely smacked it
Run the Road was a bit shabby though - you could clearly see huge difference between the MCs and the artists, and was really surprised to hear dj Maximum get dissed by Jammer on stage. That lot need to fuck off the 20 on stage thing, and get their act together, be a bit more organized because the Roll Deep set just didn't click. Thought Wiley should have held it together a bit better.

One stop left on the triathalon

mms

sometimes
ukbass said:
ok, 2 out of three so far
thursday was the best fwd I've ever been too, Plasticman and Kode9 absolutely smacked it
Run the Road was a bit shabby though - you could clearly see huge difference between the MCs and the artists, and was really surprised to hear dj Maximum get dissed by Jammer on stage. That lot need to fuck off the 20 on stage thing, and get their act together, be a bit more organized because the Roll Deep set just didn't click. Thought Wiley should have held it together a bit better.

One stop left on the triathalon

agreed, my post is in the who's reaching thread.
gonna try and make it tonight if i can kip somewhere down south.

Red Rooster

I went to Run The Road - I agree with the comment about MCs/Artists.

A lot of these MC's get a bit too excited - they need to calm down and just realise this is their chance to show they are professionals.

All those reloads on the Roll Deep set were just annoying.

You can get away with it at Eskimo dance lads but we would like to hear the music aswell as your lyrics believe it or not.

Roll on DMZ tonight - I'm sure that won't be tarnished with reloads and shouting men!

luka

i think the opposite to you lot. the rewinds and hundreds f shouting people was easily the best bit. that's when there was a bit of excitement, the more excited people get the better. or maybe i was just much drunker by then. who were the artists and who were the MCs?

Poet for Hire

nah

rewindin is a fine art
maximum was drawin each time before the excitement had time to build. Its a fine line, if he had let it roll for a couple more bars each time the place would have been jumpin. if you saw roll deep's set then you would have heard that actually there wasn't much crowd response at all. last time they played at Fabric, the whole place went off. But to be fair to Maximum, the mcing wasn't as good this time either

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I dunno. You lot are altering my perception of the night - let me keep my memories of unfettered joy shouting "MURRRKKKLEE", "GET MEGGHHHHH", "SERIOUS", "GOOWAN THEN GOOWAN THEN" and "I'LL KNOCK YOUR LIGHTS OUT". Basicallly I think it was good that there was some variety on the mic, including some youngers like Lightning. As far as comparing it to last time, that was a bit different - I think that time the crowd were getting hype mainly cos Ghetto+Kano were clashing some of the Roll Deep boys. This, I suppose, was more like an Eskimo Dance with 25 people on stage a multiple rewinds, but SO?! That IS a good thing. Get more drunk and shout more lyrics I say. Allow the chin stroking.

mms

sometimes
luka said:
i think the opposite to you lot. the rewinds and hundreds f shouting people was easily the best bit. that's when there was a bit of excitement, the more excited people get the better. or maybe i was just much drunker by then. who were the artists and who were the MCs?

Yeah you are right, but there is a thin line between orchestrated chaos and a mess,it didn't help that there were cameras all over the stage and alot of posing going on.
There was alot more moshing this time but it didn't seem quite as exciting, Wiley was taking back seat when he's best leading the proceedings as a general. Maybe it was Jammers presence there too, he should stick to production, he can't do it all .
A friend told me today some of the mc's gave her grief as she walked thru the crowd cos she's a big girl. No wonder girls pretty much ignore alot of grime, same pricks that bully them at school etc.

S

simon silverdollar

i thought it was a good night. roll deep weren't as good as they were at goldsmiths tho. and the sound was quite bad. lightning was wicked, as was no lay.
i met j.me and he said he'd give me a shout out on stage, but he didn't in the end.
i thought it was quite good when jammer was throwing all those records into the crowd. i thought his mcing was alright too. i don't like him on record, but it works well live, cuz everyone just shouts NECKLE!!!, which is fun.
glad they played some dynasty tunes as well. dynasty are excellent.
riko should have been better. and trim too. and wiley should have done SOMETHING other than a quick run through his 'spider/lighter/sniper' lyrics, although they are his best ever. [apart from the lyric on 'baby' where he goes 'can you make me cheese and pitta, please?']

Last edited by a moderator: