Overwhelmingly joyful tunes

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Songs/tracks that seem to be bursting with optimism and joy at the sheer beauty of life and stuff.

I'm listening to the Avalanches' 'Since I left You', and will soon be listening to the kwaito remix of Brenda Fassie's 'Monate'. Both are gorgeously grin-inducing.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
at the risk of stating the obvious, about a million old ardkore & proto-jungle tunes from before the dark/happy split (straight up happy h/c being far too sappy & manic to actually be joyous)

Manix - Feel Real Good
Sonz of a Loop - Far Out
Nookie - Gonna Be Alright (among others)
pretty much every DJ Red Alert & Mike Slammer tune, ditto Hyper-On-E
Slipmatt - Hear Me
loads of others

also:

Round One - I'm Your Brother & (especially) New Day

padraig (u.s.)

also:

Strings of Life
pretty much any gospel house track (e.g. anything by Romanthony, oh & Todd Edwards)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Minnie Riperton - Les Fleur is an obvious one. I remember playing it to my friend a few years back and he said that it made him visualise loads of healthy, smiling kids running over the crest of a hill drinking coca-cola and, sure enough, a few years later it was on an advert. Still sounds good to me though.
Or how about Time Will Pass You By by Tobi Legend, it's got that same mixture of sadness and elation that I hear in that Avalanches tune (though I'm not sure why, the lyrics at least are purely positive aren't they?) and it has a similar effect.
Edit - here it is in case you don't know it

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
at the risk of stating the obvious, about a million old ardkore & proto-jungle tunes from before the dark/happy split (straight up happy h/c being far too sappy & manic to actually be joyous)

Manix - Feel Real Good
Sonz of a Loop - Far Out
Nookie - Gonna Be Alright (among others)
pretty much every DJ Red Alert & Mike Slammer tune, ditto Hyper-On-E
Slipmatt - Hear Me
loads of others

also:

Round One - I'm Your Brother & (especially) New Day

Can't believe ardkore didn't cross my mind. My vote - Bowa's Different Story, second place to Far Out.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I love this thread already.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fairly serious lyrics but determindly joyous music:

Other things than reggae chatting can put on a smile on my face though, will think of some more in a min.

mixed_biscuits

My brother regards joy-creation as music's most noble, most appropriate aim and happy hardcore as the only genre that has the sense to admit this.

Euphoria - Second Sight (Next Generation Recs) mmm...
Bjork - Big Time Sensuality
Fluke - Groovy Feeling

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
A slightly different kind of joy, with thanks to Tubby and Slimzee:

mixed_biscuits

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
What's the song that establishes the greatest distance between instrumental joy and lyrical despair (without it being done solely for superficially ironic effect)?

Talulah Gosh - Strawberry Girl
American Music Club - Crabwalk (bit of irony here though)

90% of soca takes this thread though.

padraig (u.s.)

What's the song that establishes the greatest distance between instrumental joy and lyrical despair (without it being done solely for superficially ironic effect)?

I should think The Cure figure in there somewhere.

more ardkore tunes

2-X-Treme - Breakhoven
Lemon D - I Need You
Yolk - Music for the People
any Suburban Base tune Rachel Wallace sang on

also blissed out inna jungle business - it's more like a reverent joy, but still

FOUL PLAY - MUSIC IS THE KEY (OMNI TRIO REMIX) - well loads of both their tracks really but this one especially with that girl-next-door vox about the world being a better place & all that
Amazon II - Lovely Feeling
Bukem - Atlantis
every DJ Crystl tune. seriously.

loads more

tons of sweet UKG tunes surely but I'm not the man to ask there

apologies in advance for nuum-ing out yet another thread *EDIT* big-up @ Andy's dancehall suggestions - onna deep roots tip The Congos - Heart of the Congos

also Drexciya has always sounded joyous to me in just the way baboon described but some people may disagree

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
big-up @ Andy's dancehall suggestions

Cheers, big up should really go to the Heatwave, Droid and others for making me aware of this stuff in the first place though.
This one really needs to be in here too:

Might need a fast-chat/Saxon thread soon actually.

D

droid

Don Carlos - I'm not giving up

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Raekwon - Heaven and Hell always does it for me. Musically, somewhere between absolute joy and absolute misery, but that's waht you get when you sample Syl Johnson (brilliantly)

Dusty - Am I The same girl? Just found the orgiinal on youtube: :cool: