chill out

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
any chill out recommendations?
preferably early 90s, with samples, space-themed a plus.

been listening to KLF's Chill Out and Space records obsessively, peppering in the first couple Orb albums here and there. looking for more in that vein.

halp!

(i did search the site but that didn't work out)

massrock

You may like some or all of these along those lines, sorry haven't got time to write more right now, sure you can spotify them or something.

Biosphere - Microgravity

Spacetime Continuum - The Sea Biscuit

Legion Of Green Men - Spatial Specific

Irresistible Force - Flying High

mixed_biscuits

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I would say Future Sound Of London, only a lot of their stuff you could accurately call 'chill out' tends towards New Age whale-song hippy shit, and most of their good stuff is kind of dark and disquieting. I dunno, does chill out have to be 'nice' music?

Well whatever, I still rate Dead Cities as a classic record. There's a couple of dance stompers on it, but it's mostly ambient, much of it very dark, lush, beautiful. Some does indeed sound quite spacey.

massrock

Oh yeah.

Skylab #1

FFWD - FFWD (it's The Orb with Robert Fripp and others)

Air Liquide - Nephology / If There Was No Gravity / Space Brothers

The first couple of Ambient Dub compilations on Beyond Records.

Intergalactic Beats compilation on Planet E

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
thanks, massrock; i've got a bead on all four of those

that insides release looks difficult to procure---i am on the hunt!

STN

sou'wester
The Insides one is very easily available on CD (are you looking for vinyl?)

For some reason, Eboman just popped into my head, can anyone recall anything about him?

Client Eastwood

I still play Nick Warrens Back to Mine mix sometimes. The first half in particular is brilliant then it goes a bit balearic so to speak but still ok. The Autumn Leaves (rmx) tune is ace but I guess it reminds me of Nat King Cole singing the line from day.

People may diss Go by Moby but its a decent but overplayed tune and here in its downbeat guise it sounds good in the context of the mix.

John Beltrans Transmat release getts an airing and then a bit of Italo.

Worth it imo.

no-nonsense

Some spacey psy-chill:

. The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences
. The Mystery of the Yeti (I + II) (last track in vol.I is amazing)
. Hallucinogen in Dub
. Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?
. Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden (pretty much anything on Ultimae)
. Bluetech - Prima Materia

Leo

francisco lopez is a good chill out artist.

for example, his "untitled #104"...about 50 minutes of micro-edits of totally insane/extreme metal riffage that is so "tuneless" and relentless that after a while, it blurs into a hypnotic and trancelike din. definitely not the type of chill out originally asked about here, but a different kind of chill out.

massrock

Some more early 90sish things with space samples / atmospheres.

Epique by Thomas Fehlmann off his Flow EP

Sciew Spoc by Gescom.

This EP by a band called Code.

Some of the Galaxy 2 Galaxy EP on UR.

The ambient mix of Mihon by Ongaku.

The ambient version The Mission by Sequential.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Some of the Galaxy 2 Galaxy EP on UR.

enthusiastic co-sign. also "Big Stone Lake" off the Nation to Nation EP.

Global Communication - 76:14

Detroit Escalator Company - Soundtrack [313]

Spicelab - a bunch of tracks, especially on the LPs where tracks are like 17 minutes long

Leo

Global Communication - 76:14

shit yeah, forgot about this, classic stuff. it was recently remastered/reissued as a 2cd set with bonus tracks, anyone have an opinion on if that's worth getting?

also from that time period:

- Rancho Relaxo Allstars -- "Vol. 1, Higiene Mental" and "Vol. II, Live at Luv Parade" (Rancho Relaxo/Disko-B)
- Russ Gabriel -- "Voltage Control" (Input Neuron Musique)
- Repeat -- "Repeats" (A13)
- Burger/Ink -- "Las Vegas" (Harvest)
- The Bionaut -- "Lubricate Your Living Room" comp (Matador)

massrock

Haven't heard the remaster but the stuff on the second CD of the Global Comms reissue is all well picked. Would have mentioned but it seems so ubiquitous I would hope empty mirror already has it! The Chapterhouse remix album they did is nice too.

Client Eastwood

Detroit Escalator Company - Black Buildings

Chillout without being ambient.

Edit : Oh Bladerunner OST - its even got rain samples : )

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
really fantastic recommendations in this thread.

i checked out that irresistable force and the global communication albums and both are exactly what i have been looking for. i don't know how those passed me by.

the insides album was never issued in the US, by the looks of it. only available as an expensive import, from a lone Israeli eBayer, or by purchasing from 4AD direct (i fear VAT). reluctant to spend $20+ USD on 38 minutes, but may just have to bite the bullet. i've read it described as reich x. riley----that's a great recipe...

been meaning to get that Vangelis Bladerunner OST but never have gotten around to it!

massrock

really fantastic recommendations in this thread.

i checked out that irresistable force and the global communication albums and both are exactly what i have been looking for. i don't know how those passed me by.
Cool.

If that's the vibe you might want to hunt down Mixmaster Morris (Irresistible Force) sets from around that time.

There's a few here - http://mixmaster.morris.googlepages.com/mmmdjmixes

Like this - Mixmag CD Mix

And on archive.org.

Also Kiss FM 1995

Haven't checked them all out but some should be good. Check the Dreamfish albums as well.

Flying High is a sampling tour de force. Way ahead of Endtroducing. I still come across stuff every now and then and realise that's what he sampled on it. Lots of avant garde electronics, concrete, obscure prog and kosmische stuff.

Last edited: