polyrhythms

zhao

there are no accidents
these days if it ain't got some kind of polyrhythm, whether it's bongos or other percussion or beeps and bloops, i won't really listen to it.

with dubstep there are some exceptions, but this is very true of house and techno. after immersing in so much African music old and new, i can not STAND the UN-TZ-KA-TZ-UN-TZ-KA-TZ impoverished formula of most european and american productions. boring, Sidney, BORING.

and if i listen to my favorite minimal, such as Thomas Brinkmann, Pan Sonic / ø, old Stewart Walker, etc, etc, they all have interesting polyrhythmic elements, if sometimes subtle. going back and listening recently, i realized that some of the best Brinkmann productions are simply rigid teutonic interpretations of African percussion, as is, to various degrees, a LOT of the electronic dance music that i've EVER loved.

is why my favorite new techno producers are Henrick Shwartz, Franck Roger, Shackleton, etc. any recommendations on more along these lines? new dance music with loads of bongos or other polyrhythmic play?

also makes me think i should dig deeper into Tribal house/techno, there must be gems hidden under all the predictability. anyone point me in the right direction?

i found a few decent cuts recently, will name them a bit later...

four_five_one

Infinition
Surgeon is a good choice for the Techno section (if not too obvious):

I was mixing this the other day, and the polyrhythm is really off-putting at first:

Fluxion --

3 Body No Problem

Portable/Bodycode may interest you. Here's an article that analyses Wonky from the point of view of polyrhythms. If only the (few) examples of Wonky I know weren't so poor in terms of sound design ... Anyway, the most polyrhythmic form of western pop-music I'm familiar with (not very polyrhythmic though) is UK-Garage, which is probably why it's been my favourite so far. The most polyrhythmic forms of pop-music I'm familiar with are afro-latin (like salsa and samba).

going back and listening recently, i realized that some of the best Brinkmann productions are simply rigid teutonic interpretations of African percussion, as is, to various degrees, a LOT of the electronic dance music that i've EVER loved.

This is an interesting statement. I also wonder if it's true (in the sense that I doubt the musicians you mention deliberately copied african rhythmic patterns). I think that it's more that it is in fact somewhat difficult not to make music polyrhythmic. Completely to avoid polyrhythms means that every significant repetitive element in music has to has to happen at a beat that's a power of 2. In such extrem that rarely happens, because it would be mind-numbing. In much of western pop-music the harmony changes regularly on the 4th beat of the bar for example. I think a lot of listerners might not consciously understand harmonic changes are part of rhythm. Melody is also part of rhythm, but there's not much melody in most pop-music.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Portable/Bodycode may interest you. Here's an article that analyses Wonky from the point of view of polyrhythms. If only the (few) examples of Wonky I know weren't so poor in terms of sound design ... Anyway, the most polyrhythmic form of western pop-music I'm familiar with (not very polyrhythmic though) is UK-Garage, which is probably why it's been my favourite so far. The most polyrhythmic forms of pop-music I'm familiar with are afro-latin (like salsa and samba).

When I was taught the term polyrhythmic at uni it was strictly used to describe multiple time signatures operating in the same bar length, e.g. the typical one in Western music being threes against two (e.g. triplets playing 12 beats against 8 beats in a bar or something). But judging from the kinds of examples Zhao's given he's really talking about different subdivisions of one time signature, just regrouping 16th-beats. And I guess that's the same deal with salsa and samba? They're both most easily counted in 4 4 with the bar subdivided into groups of 3 16th-beats, right? Even if not, they don't have e.g. one rhythm part playing someting that can be counted as, I dunno, 5 beats to the bar while another part is 4 beats, right?

Not sure that's at all clear. What I'm meaning is that I understood polyrhythmic music to mean music in which rhythms were basically operating in multiple tempos simultaneously - e.g. you might have a rhythm in 4 4 at 100 bpm, and another rhythm in 5 4 at 120 bpm, so the first beat of each bar is in sync but the patterns in between are freaky.

I can't think of any dance music that does this, beyond 3s and 2s (i.e. 12 8, e.g. schaffel), and those Mike Ink tracks circa Studio 1 which basically sound like he just cut loops of the same bar length with no attempt to make them in time and layered them up.

Soooooo... for you, does "polyrhythmic" just mean "more than one rhythm in a piece of music at the same time"? Surely ... all... music that involves more than one sound at a time could be described that way. Maybe not all, but in excess of 95%.

oswellm

To be honest, my adolescent experiences made me really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really fucking tired of polyrhythms, or rather my high school friends' nu-hippie-drum-circle interpretation of them, generally djembes being played 3 against 4. In fact that's probably what made me latch onto unwieldy, unfunky techno as a teenager

But yeah, I think you mean syncopation rather than polyrhythms in your initial post..

With regard polyrhythmic techno, I think it'd be fitting to mention Wolfgang Voigt's M:I:5 project — rhythmically some of the most incredibly fucked-up techno from the 90s. I can't find any youtube clips but at some point in this video he plays some tracks an explains the concept/technique behind the project, which is quite interesting. Basically he'd make a drum loop, play it back, and play back a second copy 5 semitones higher or lower on his sampler, creating this weird wrong-but-right rhythm.

3 Body No Problem

When I was taught the term polyrhythmic at uni it was strictly used to describe multiple time signatures operating in the same bar length, e.g. the typical one in Western music being threes against two (e.g. triplets playing 12 beats against 8 beats in a bar or something). But judging from the kinds of examples Zhao's given he's really talking about different subdivisions of one time signature, just regrouping 16th-beats. And I guess that's the same deal with salsa and samba?
They're both most easily counted in 4 4 with the bar subdivided into groups of 3 16th-beats, right? Even if not, they don't have e.g. one rhythm part playing someting that can be counted as, I dunno, 5 beats to the bar while another part is 4 beats, right?

Yes, that's right. Let's call "n bounded polyrhythm" any rhythm that unfolds only within n bars and then restarts (or stops). For example if you combine a beat that repeats over 5 units with one that repeats every 3 (3 against 5 polyrhythm), and you do it for 4 bars (assuming every bar has 4 time-units), you get something like this:

which then repeats. Then as far as I can see all popular music has only 2 or 4 bounded polyrhythm, including samba and salsa.

What I'm meaning is that I understood polyrhythmic music to mean music in which rhythms were basically operating in multiple tempos simultaneously - e.g. you might have a rhythm in 4 4 at 100 bpm, and another rhythm in 5 4 at 120 bpm, so the first beat of each bar is in sync but the patterns in between are freaky.

Yes, you don't really get that in popular music. At least not in the forground. For a start, it might be hard to dance to. Some tracks have some odd rhythm in the background, to give some additional nervousness. Quite popular for example to loop a soft hat or shaker that plays x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x.. and so on for a while.

Soooooo... for you, does "polyrhythmic" just mean "more than one rhythm in a piece of music at the same time"? Surely ... all... music that involves more than one sound at a time could be described that way. Maybe not all, but in excess of 95%.

The Wikipedia entry on Polyrhythm distinguishes polyrhythm from polymeter.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Soooooo... for you, does "polyrhythmic" just mean "more than one rhythm in a piece of music at the same time"?

yeah this is what i was thinking. by zhao's definition, basically all pop music right now is polyrhythmic

i was taught that it was the time signatures playing off each other thing at school as well

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
When I was taught the term polyrhythmic at uni it was strictly used to describe multiple time signatures operating in the same bar length,

But judging from the kinds of examples Zhao's given he's really talking about different subdivisions of one time signature, just regrouping 16th-beats.

What I'm meaning is that I understood polyrhythmic music to mean music in which rhythms were basically operating in multiple tempos simultaneously - e.g. you might have a rhythm in 4 4 at 100 bpm, and another rhythm in 5 4 at 120 bpm, so the first beat of each bar is in sync but the patterns in between are freaky.

well i haven't gone to music school or taken any music classes... i am using it as an umbrella term for complex interlocking patterns, including the combination of different signatures which are not in sync every bar, as well as interlocking micro patterns within bigger cycles.

was talking to burnt friedman about this last night at the sublime frequencies show, he said that polyrhythm can only exist in theory, because in practice the different patterns are really all the same rhythm. (also said he is mostly interested in arabic classical music at the moment, with the crazy complex mathematical patterns and bizaare signatures)

but then it just becomes a question of how you look at it and choose to define the term.

regardless of what the precise definition is, i assume everyone knows what i'm talking about: a lot of Funky is more polyrhythmic than normal house, and Shakleton is more polyrhythmic than your average half-step.

so lets get on with the recommendations? more bongos more better!

Last edited:

massrock

It's not really bongo heavy but the first track on the Boredoms Rebore 0 record (7) builds up layers of percussion and things playing different times concurrently. The overall effect is highly blissed out and ambient.

Not to do with polyrhythms as such but I like being surprised by stuff that isn't in 4/4 or 3/4. If it's done well it often makes me want to get up and dance just for the sheer novelty of moving to it.

Happened to hear 'English Roundabout' by XTC today and was really digging the 10/8 groove.

carmen

 
a lot of Funky is more polyrhythmic than normal house

perhps, but a haflway decent 1 or 2bar loop should not be extended to 6 minutes, then mixed with almost-identical tracks for 2hours (hello Marcus Nasty, and 98% of the rinse lineup)

haitian music on FM, and indian and arabic music on shortwave , all you really need

zhao

there are no accidents
haitian music... and indian and arabic music... all you really need

man after me own heart right there.

been digging the fuck out of some Haitian stuff. sweet sweet vocals, and those drums those drums those drums... that rich ringing almost mettalic timbre, and the insane beats!

also another hightlight in polyrhythm recently is a record called Yoruba Street Percussion. sickness.

and what's great about these is that they are regular enough to be mixable. not true of most Indian and Arabic classical... much to my consternation.

of courese traditional music from all over the world display mind boggling rhythmic prowess which make modern dance music look positively Retarded with capital R... Gamelan. fuck.

South Indian Percussion is something fierce. this ocora recording is pure fire:

c560178.jpg

(out of print. PM me for download link)

and of course the tuned melodic hand drums of Tabla Tarang. this one from "the last master"

maitratarangfcfw8.jpg

(again out of print and PM me for link)

and here is a bit lacklustre but decent example of Tabla Tarang (takes a bit to get going):
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
yes. have you heard of ZAKEE? TITONTON? AYRO?

please do not slag off americans!!

thanks for recommendations! never heard of these and will check them out.

not really "slagging off" but just saying a lot of funky is more interesting for me at the moment than more traditional house music.

and just for future reference, if i do choose to, i will slag off who ever, when ever, where ever, and as much as i damn well please.

zhao

there are no accidents
how about polytonality?
playing in several keys at once

:)

what are some examples that demonstrate this?

again i've no formal training in music but can tell when something (one of my own mashups for instance) does this and create that uneasy feeling...