Steven Wells RIP

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
RIP Swells. I never got to give him a blowjob! How sad. I always thought he was one of those blokes who just deserved a blowjob, just by their very existence.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That's really sad for him to pass away that young. He pissed a lot of people off with his writing, which proved he was doing something very right.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, really quite shocked to hear this although I have to say I always thought he was a terrible writer.

martin

----
A real shame - me and STN used to while away the odd 2 minutes now and then PMing each other his columns and saying 'What a penis'. Whereas Taylor Parkes is such a cunt, we can't even be bothered to read his crap.

RIP anyway. Oh, I see his book's suddenly gone up in value....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Whoah shit, found out today that a friend of mine knew him really well and actually went out with him for a while - kinda feel bad now for not having heard of him before he died, for some reason. But then I've never been an NME reader...

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

I used to read NME a alot in the late 90s, but it was only ever really good when swells was doing the single reviews that week, completely slaughtering all the bands. The rest of the paper was total shite, looking back.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, I got the impression the magazine's raison d'etre was basically to find a new band every couple of weeks - typically a foursome of floppy-haired indieoid 'skinny-tie cock-jockeys' (as someone on here brilliantly put it) - who were going to (sigh) "save rock-n-roll". Again. :slanted: Wasn't it the NME put The Strokes in a list along with the Rolling Stones and the VU as "the most important bands ever"? Something like that, anyway. I wouldn't put it past them.

Edit: although there were some funny pisstake articles sometimes, I seem to remember. There was a feature called "Julie Burchill's Au Contraire", in which letters were supposedly written to Ms. Burchill that went "Dear Julie, given your well-known stance on [issue X], I expect you also thing [opinion Y]?", and the supposed answer always started "Au contraire!"...

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i just saw newly ex nme editor - now editor of top gear magazine - conor mcniccols waiting for his kebab in a finsbury park takeaway, grinning to himself like the inane twat he is, we pointed and laughed.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Yeah, I got the impression the magazine's raison d'etre was basically to find a new band every couple of weeks - typically a foursome of floppy-haired indieoid 'skinny-tie cock-jockeys' (as someone on here put brilliantly put it) - who were going to (sigh) "save rock-n-roll". Again. :slanted: Wasn't it the NME put The Strokes in a list along with the Rolling Stones and the VU as "the most important bands ever"? Something like that, anyway. I wouldn't put it past them.

Edit: although there were some funny pisstake articles sometimes, I seem to remember. There was a feature called "Julie Burchill's Au Contraire", in which letters were supposedly written to Ms. Burchill that went "Dear Julie, given your well-known stance on [issue X], I expect you also thing [opinion Y]?", and the supposed answer always started "Au contraire!"...

I subscribed to NME for a year when I was a teenager and then cancelled my subscription when I slowly started to realize this, driven home by an issue including a main feature on what the Strokes had all done with their hair.