When people with "Normal Music Taste" ask you what you listen to...

ryan17

how do you generally respond to this?

I know this seems a bit rude and very stereotypical and is perhaps somewhat stupid but i am just getting tired of trying to explain my music taste to the average punter at uni who is trying to talk about the velvet revolver record etc etc.

Previously i have always been excited to throw at people something they won't know blah blah exotic blah blah whatever. lately though i have just been saying 'oh you know, lots of different stuff' which was previously one of my least favorite replies to the posed question, 'what music do you listen to?'

to be fair edinburgh is not on the map for its music scene.

i am just curious to see how other people handle this.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
ryan17 said:
how do you generally respond to this?

I know this seems a bit rude and very stereotypical and is perhaps somewhat stupid but i am just getting tired of trying to explain my music taste to the average punter at uni who is trying to talk about the velvet revolver record etc etc.

Previously i have always been excited to throw at people something they won't know blah blah exotic blah blah whatever. lately though i have just been saying 'oh you know, lots of different stuff' which was previously one of my least favorite replies to the posed question, 'what music do you listen to?'

to be fair edinburgh is not on the map for its music scene.

i am just curious to see how other people handle this.

Do you go to Edinburgh Uni? I finished there in 2003.

Sorry, off topic.

I always said that I liked dance music. Um, then if they were into dance music (house or trance usually) they'd then ask what sort I liked and it was like, well...

ryan17

no i go to heriot-watt uni and i started fall 03'

i did the 'i listen to dance music bit' for a little while but it doesn't really go over very well cause then they want specifics.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I start by saying I'm into jazz more than rock, and then tell as much of the rest of my sorry tale as they'll let me.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I tell them I like reggae. (Which is something of an understatement, of course). and then maybe that I also like dance music and electronic stuff, by which time they've either changed the topic or you have a nice conversation on your hands.

These days I hardly ever talk to students, though, and most people don't think music is that IMPORTANT, which is a good thing. Students seem quite prone to constructing their identities and therefore coolness/self-worth around what music they like, so it can all get a bit intense (no dig at anyone here!)

ryan17

john eden said:
These days I hardly ever talk to students, though, and most people don't think music is that IMPORTANT, which is a good thing. Students seem quite prone to constructing their identities and therefore coolness/self-worth around what music they like, so it can all get a bit intense (no dig at anyone here!)

i realised this when i made the thread. most people on here are probably surrounded by or work with people with similar music tastes. this (and its a good thing) is not a board dominated with students.

dubplatestyle

"rap and its variants"

"dance music"

sadly this comes up quite often since i work in a record store

"well, what would <i>you</i> buy, dear?"

DavidD

can't be stopped
"rap"

or

"pop"

the problem w/ saying "rap" at the school i go to is i end up having to talk about the Roots and Atmosphere for an hour...

I figure i should just start saying "indie" and wear pumas, i might get laid more often.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
ryan17 said:
i realised this when i made the thread. most people on here are probably surrounded by or work with people with similar music tastes. this (and its a good thing) is not a board dominated with students.

I'm a student, but I'm a postgrad student, and it rarely comes up... I think it might be an age thing (although that sounds kinda condescending. sorry)

Pearsall said:
I always said that I liked dance music.

If I say that, then people always assume trance. People have it in their heads that dance music = trance/club house

ryan17

Melchior said:
If I say that, then people always assume trance. People have it in their heads that dance music = trance/club house

yeah exactly this is why i stopped saying i listened to dance music.

i still don't know where to go with this...

I was having a driving lesson yesterday and we were tailed for a while by a Vauxhall Corsa containing a young man and an enormous ICE system chucking out a wobbly bassline. My driving instructor took this to mean he was 'a chav' and said 'if he has a system like that in his car, why doesn't he play something a bit better like George Michael or Duran Duran'. The instructor must be all of 28. One wonders what his nineties was like.

I said "oh, i don't know, i'm quite partial to a bit of 'chav' music myself". He then went on to cite 'Jamelia and rap' as prime exemplars of the chav genre.

When people ask me, I just say 'anything that's good'.

S

simon silverdollar

uk garage.

that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
i find that most people (outside my circle of friends/fellow music obsessives) aren't really that interested...
their blank expressions when i try explaining it to them,is some clue to this... :(
the most standard response is: "oh. really? that's...a bit weird." :p

john eden

male pale and stale
ryan17 said:

LOL - it's not quite as utopian round my office! Bloke behind me has Deep Purple on his ringtone and the woman next to me recently went to see some blokes from Crowded House live. There's a few people interested in other stuff tho, but not many merzbow or grime fans that I've noticed... ;) a few people into Big Chill type stuff and some reggae fans (all women)...

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
john eden said:
LOL - it's not quite as utopian round my office! Bloke behind me has Deep Purple on his ringtone and the woman next to me recently went to see some blokes from Crowded House live.
A fellow sufferer! Mostly Natalie MacMaster, The Rankin Family, and Great Big Sea lovers where I work. If it doesn't contain bagpipes and/or a fiddle, they don't listen to it.

When asked what I like, I invariably reply, "Techno. On vinyl."

" :confused: Oh. Do they still make vinyl records?"

" :cool: Oh yeah; the myth that they don't is one perpetuated by major record companies to force you to buy The White Album again on CD."

" :confused: Oh. OK. See ya."

Occasionally, a new employee will ask if I have a CD I can lend him. I usually start with the Hackers Sndtrk. Thus far it has always been returned either without comment (I think they wait for me to leave my cube) or a polite "Thanks."

Aside: When you add colour to the message text, why is it spelled "COLOR"?

john eden

male pale and stale
Chef Napalm said:
Aside: When you add colour to the message text, why is it spelled "COLOR"?

It's Yankee imperialism, I tells ya! :mad:

So who on here can listen to music at work, then? Maybe a new thread...