Convince Me Why I Should Like Frank Zappa

martin

----
Every now and then, somebody reckons I should check out Frank Zappa. This is normally after we've talked about bands or music or lyrics we like and they seem convinced I'll like it. Only problem is, I think everything I've heard by him is boring, I just can't get into it and I find it draining. When I bring this up, I'm usually told I've heard 'the bad ones' - but whatever I get recorded for me sounds pretty shite too.

So what's the deal? It's not even an aversion to 60s music - I thought Zappa might sound like 'Dirty Old Man' and 'Kill for Peace' off the 2nd Fugs LP, but he didn't, it was boring. There's also some connection between him and Beefheart (who I mostly like), but Zappa's stuff just sounds like...well, just dull - I really can't hear any musical link between him and the Captain, at any rate...

bunnnnnn

i used to quite like 'we're only in it for the money' - the bits of dissonant electronics and jagged jump cuts are probably quite exciting if you've never heard faust. only problem is extracting any enjoyment from the music from the combined weight of zappa's execrable smug-muso cuntishness and knowing what complete wankers all his fans are (not entirely his fault i know)

but, yeah, if you can listen beyond that that album has some moments. ben watson has on occasions almost made me want to listen to some zappa again, but i don't think it'd live up to the weight of expectations his writing pins to it.

STN

sou'wester
I like Hot Rats, like everyone else, and Bobby Brown Goes Down seems to somehow sidestep his normal silly crapness and actually become weirdly poignant. I also really like the Reuben and the Jets LP (this is the fake doo-wop one) but otherwise he really can just piss off. Mind you, I loathe the Fugs as well...

gumdrops

there is no need to. :p ive tried to get into his stuff repeatedly (last time was a few years back) but cant seem to do it. everyone says pfunk was like the black zappa/mothers, but i know which one i prefer. im still looking for the one thing of theirs thatll draw me in. i find zappa himself really interesting though.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
tried but too wacky for me. captain beefheart on the otherhand gets the job done! anyone know how he got the name??? i'm imagining some pre-black metal onstage animal sacrifice... the Capt'n growling into the microphone raising a glistening cow heart in his hand.

Last edited:

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Not a big Zappa fan, but this song is excellent:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
He's an acquired taste. Most people think they don't like frank because, well, they don't like frank. I can't actually imagine why you'd like him. Try these, but I wouldn't expect too much. I prefer later period / post-Mothers Frank and am therefore a Zappa apostate, and this is even further away from the sub-Beefhart (whom he produced / financed) stuff like Hot rats.

I couldn't find a clip of Dickie's Such an Asshole that was any good but you really need to hear that before making a judgement, preferably the one off You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Volume 3. But here's some good ones, though watching video on YouTube is nothing like as good as getting stoned to Joe's Garage with Essex Hippies in the early 90s.

Jesus Thinks You're a Jerk - just about the easiest-to-get-into Zappa song out there. Comedic TV evangelist-baiting.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Cocaine Decisions
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Flakes - prog pop heaven.

Sharleena - from amusing cod reggae to sunkissed psychedelic guitar wigout in three simple steps. Better than it sounds - well it couldn't be worse - but I fucking love this. As Frank himself would have put it, "Good noodle". Everyone should hear the guitar solo on this at least once in their life, it makes almost all other guitar music redundant.

D

droid

Never been great fan. Was intriqued after reading about the Varese connection though.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Not a big Zappa fan, but this song is excellent:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

yes it certainly is

martin

----
Feels petulant after people made an effort to respond, but I hate all the vids posted here, I find them too depressing for words. I guess Zappa's not for me.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
tried but too wacky for me. captain beefheart on the otherhand gets the job done! anyone know how he got the name??? i'm imagining some pre-black metal onstage animal sacrifice... the Capt'n growling into the microphone raising a glistening cow heart in his hand.

From what I remember, 'beefheart' was his grandfather's pet name for his testicles. I'm not sure why anyone would need a pet name for their testicles ...

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Bobby Brown Goes Down seems to somehow sidestep his normal silly crapness and actually become weirdly poignant.QUOTE]

This is when Zappa gets good for me. The moments when the sarky smug vibe kindof becomes transparent & something human sortof leaks out. Something like, say, Punky's Whips off 'Lather'. Those bits when the absurdity becomes kindof profound. He uses that contrast a lot, when really scored bits of melody sortof pop out briefly in the middle of apparent chaos & make sense of everything & it's like the sun suddenly comes out from underneath all the cleverness & suddenly you think, shit, this guy's really amazing actually, & then he opens his fucking mouth & there's a huge clap of thunder & he's an absolute tosspot again.

I got into almost all the music I like now through Frank Zappa. He was my first stab at 'real' music, aged, I dunno, 13 or 14. My guitar teacher got me hooked on him ... I was totally obsessed for about five years, read Ben Watson's 'Negative Dialectics of Poodle Play' cover to cover about a dozen times, checked out all the namechecked musicians & bands. I'm still a huge fan of Beefheart & almost everything associated with Zappa, except Zappa himself.

massrock

He makes a good point about hippies and the music biz.

If only for this video

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2997023">Frank Zappa - City Of Tiny Lights</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=2997023,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=2997023,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

IdleRich

IdleRich
"From what I remember, 'beefheart' was his grandfather's pet name for his testicles. I'm not sure why anyone would need a pet name for their testicles ... "
I thought it was something to do with a (male) relation's genitals - can't say which particular part though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
An uncle, or possibly great-uncle, and yes, it was the bell-end. At least, that's what Lamarr said on 'Buzzcocks' once years ago. A mate of mine who's well into Beefheart says that story's complete bollocks though, and told me some alternative explanation which I've since forgotten.

Anyway, re. Zappa, some great songs I've heard include the aforementioned 'Joe's Garage' (just can't see how anyone can fail to like that song), 'My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama', a cool instro called 'Ya Hozna', 'Disco Boy', 'Bobby Brown Goes Down', 'Catholic Girls' and an awesome swamp-blues workout with Beefheart on vocals called 'The Torture Never Stops'. And those are all on a couple of posthumous compilations I've got, so I've scarcely skimmed the surface really.

I think Zappa is one of those artists - like The Beatles, coincidentally enough - who demands a certain respect for the sheer volume of his output, as much as anything. And while I think Zappa, like all prolific artists, fails to be both prolific and consistently great, there's a hell of a lot of good stuff all the same. Maybe worth getting a few choice compilations rather than whole albums?

Though I'm speculating on that one - can any proper Zappa-heads here recommend some particular original records?

Edit - fuck it, this album cover is all the reason you need:

Ship_Arriving_Too_Late_To_Save_A_Drowning_Witch.jpg

Last edited:

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Though I'm speculating on that one - can any proper Zappa-heads here recommend some particular original albums?]

Something like You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol.1 is a good overview. There's enough amazing &/or characteristic shit on there to get someone interested, particularly on the last half of the first side with Big Swifty followed by that epic Don't Eat The Yellow Snow. Lather is a good album too ... three CDs of virtually every style Zappa ever played around with including The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution which is body music & has actual psychedelic power & ecstatic polyrhythms at the end. I was always a big fan of the late 1988 band stuff too, like Make A Jazz Noise Here, just because of the rush of hearing the sick close harmonies of such a huge array of horns under such tight control.

But he's a cynical bastard & doesn't believe in the cosmic power of music so fuck him. Soon as I found Sun Ra I never listened to Frank again.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I watched a film about Zappa on Sky Arts the other day. It was quite a revelation. I've never liked his rock music. There's too much "theatre" and being "satirical" in it. But I now have real respect for him as a composer. I'd always assumed he was the usual "rock musician trying to do classical" :rolleyes: , but no. He was a seriously serious composer.

A couple of short things...

Now going to get into longer stuff with the LSO and Ensemble Modern.