Best first wave punk band (UK)

best early punk band

• Total voters

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah yeah yeah, the Clash. The Clash are like the new Beatles, aren't they?

Everyone's Dad likes The Clash.

:mad:

STN

sou'wester
I'd love to say X-Ray Spex, but Pistols it is.

Please no one say they were just a heavy metal band, it sounded stupid coming from Edward Tudor Pole and it will sound stupid coming from you.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I couldn't bring myself to vote Pistols, due to McLaren. The Clash are shit.

So it was X-Ray Spex or Buzzcocks. B is before X in the alphabet

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Going to go with Buzzcocks, although Damned Damned Damned is a very special album, and really I'd listen to all of these band regularly (the Stranglers maybe a bit less than the others to be fair).
Is it lame to say that this is still your favourite era in punk?
Oh, and I'd say that the Adverts have a strong shout for being on the list, though I prob wouldn't have voted for them.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Pistols.

Not that many decent tunes but the decent ones shit on every other punk band as far as I'm concerned.

martin

----
If voting in online polls changed anything, they'd delete them, but the answer's obviously Menace. But failing that, The Clash.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
theese are (arguably?) second wave bands

The Fall yeah but Wire's first LP came out in '77 & they were playing together for awhile before that. they were a bit older & more tidy (like Howard Devoto kinda) - like into R&B & soul before punk vs. the snotty clueless teenager vibe McLaren encouraged - but there from the beginning nonetheless. plus if you listen to Pink Flag it's straight up '77, "Mr. Suit" & "I2XU" & all that. smarter lyrics, a bit weird, & unlike most they could actually play their instruments, but very little of the arty experimentalism that dominated Chairs Missing, 154, etc. (sorry, punk rock pedantry)

I'm also the weirdo who voted for "some other nonsense" - tho not Eater, ugh. it's a dead heat between Wire & The Slits for me (& I don't wanna hear nonsense about Ari Up & Co. being 2nd wave or this). *EDIT* also I dunno if I even need to say this but, having spent all my teenager years & then some as a anarcho/peacepunk fanatic, it would be Crass (essentially a 1st wave band) x1000000 but that's clearly not what's meant by 1st wave

we need a best Oi band poll, surely. actually, I'll do one up in a bit. or maybe a best peacepunk band poll would be better.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh come on guys, The Clash had some pretty decent tunes. And they definitely looked a lot cooler than most other punk bands. Which, at the end of the day, was half of what punk (I mean '70s punk, not anarcho/crusty/hXc etc) was about.

Plus it's not as if they asked to be made members in good standing of The British Rock Canon - though I dunno if they complained too loudly about it either. ;)

Benny Bunter

Probably should have been the Pistols but I voted for the Damned in the end. They were the first to get a single out (New Rose) and Neat Neat Neat rocks like fuck.

zhao

there are no accidents
The Fall yeah but Wire's first LP came out in '77 & they were playing together for awhile before that. they were a bit older & more tidy (like Howard Devoto kinda) - like into R&B & soul before punk vs. the snotty clueless teenager vibe McLaren encouraged - but there from the beginning nonetheless. plus if you listen to Pink Flag it's straight up '77, "Mr. Suit" & "I2XU" & all that. smarter lyrics, a bit weird, & unlike most they could actually play their instruments, but very little of the arty experimentalism that dominated Chairs Missing, 154, etc. (sorry, punk rock pedantry)

i guess so but Wire's sound and way of doing things always put them in the "post" punk cannon for me... even pink flag.

polystyle

Probably should have been the Pistols but I voted for the Damned in the end. They were the first to get a single out (New Rose) and Neat Neat Neat rocks like fuck.

It sure does ,
ditto Born To Kill , Feel The Pain and New Rose's great riffs