• Blaggers ITA (circa 87)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clockwork Criminals

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martin

----
Seeing as nobody else can be bothered....

Who's your favourite prole pantomime troupe?

I forgot Cock Sparrer, my bad.

Last edited:

crackerjack

where's the 'it's all unspeakable rubbish' option? failing that, peter & the test tube babies cos they lived the closest to me, though they were shite too

john eden

male pale and stale
Got a soft spot for the Blaggers and TDA but I think it's going to have to be The Oppressed. They just seem to take the schtick to the logical conclusion.

Actually the one I listen to most is "tribute band" Hard Skin, just because the complete exaggeration of it all makes me laugh.

john eden

male pale and stale
Hmm what is Oi! ? I always thought it was rightwing skinhead stuff that would make me run a mile.

It's a white working class reaction to punk getting artier circa early eighies.

Skinheads featured heavily, as did songs about beer, cops, housing estates, boredom, petty crime, fighting etc.

the nazi skinhead stuff certainly emerged from Oi, but not all of it is like that (the Oppressed and the Blaggers were explicitly and militantly anti-fascist for example).

STN

sou'wester
Though there is a photo of Peter and the Test Tube Babies in which one of them is wearing a Black Uhuru baseball cap, which makes me laugh a lot.

STN

sou'wester
I agree but the lyrics are for the most part no worse than a lot of stuff you hear in hip hop or grime...

I'm sort of talking about a failure to repudiate misconceptions about the scenei n interviews etc, making them not really misconceptions after all. But then I'm a trendy university person who uses long words so, like, whatever.

Client Eastwood

It's a white working class reaction to punk getting artier circa early eighies.

Skinheads featured heavily, as did songs about beer, cops, housing estates, boredom, petty crime, fighting etc.

the nazi skinhead stuff certainly emerged from Oi, but not all of it is like that (the Oppressed and the Blaggers were explicitly and militantly anti-fascist for example).

Cheers John. I think id do a runner just to be safe : ) (editt : see STN post - you cant which skin is foriegner friendly)

Is skin a revive look atm. In Leeds ive seen a least 5 full on skins. Docs with tight jeans worn over the top lace, F Perry T, no 1 hair. This is on people probably about 20-25. What gives, fashion or politics ?

Last edited:

crackerjack

Cheers John. I think id do a runner just to be safe : ) (editt : see STN post - you cant which skin is foriegner friendly)

Is skin a revive look atm. In Leeds ive seen a least 5 full on skins. Docs with tight jeans worn over the top lace, F Perry T, no 1 hair. This is on people probably about 20-25. What gives, fashion or politics ?

The recent Specials gigs looked like everyone had turned up for a This Is England audition. But that was old-timers, mostly men and women in their 40s and 50s.

john eden

male pale and stale

A few years ago skinheads would have been euro-tourists or gay, but I think it's on the up after that "this is england" film?

There is a really good thread on Oi here:
http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=649&highlight=skinhead

Client Eastwood

The recent Specials gigs looked like everyone had turned up for a This Is England audition. But that was old-timers, mostly men and women in their 40s and 50s.

I saw them in Sheffield and it was just the same. Great gig tho. Didnt feel uneasy at any point. The mosh pit looked mental but thats not my cuppa tea anyhow.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Seeing as nobody else can be bothered...

sorry - I'll get right on that peacepunk one (more after my own heart anyway).

also - Blitz for me tho it was a goddamn tough choice. really it's the like beyond
Oi weirdness that really edges it out - their great cover of "Vicious", the so hokey it's awesome 2 punks/2 skins crossover, even the fact their 2nd album is unlistenable 80s synth garbage. the Rejects & Cocksparrer also in the running.

don't want to initiate a Youtube dump but just the one - Rejects, "Bad Man". to nick a line from, I think, Oisploitation high prophet Gary Bushnell, "sounds like the fag-end of PiL on steroids"
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: