Eminem's anti-war, get out and vote video

nomos

Administrator
I came across this yesterday and I'm still floored. Has anyone else seen the video for Eminem's new single "Mosh"? If not, you can download it here http://www.gnn.tv/videos/.

There's also an extended review with lyrics here .

One week before the US election, Eminem has released an animated anti-Bush, anti-war video that ends with him leading throngs of young people to the polling booth. The imagery is great - a wall of news clippings describing the crimes of the Administration, a bin Laden video where the background falls over to reveal him in a studio with Rumsfeld and Cheney, a growing army of angry young people in black hoodies taking to the streets.

The two things I find most interesting about this are Marshall's suddenly politicised tone and the potentially significant effect it could have in motivating his enormous but largely apolitical fanbase to vote. There aren't many people who hold as much sway within that bloc. I'm having fantasies of crowds in black hoodies swarming the polls.

eminem.jpg

http://autonomicforthepeople.blogspot.com/2004/10/eminem-gets-political.html

Last edited:

DavidD

can't be stopped
Young Buck's "Shorty Wanna Ride" had some political shit at the end of the video where he breaks into some U.S. security building and breaks down a door where they're hiding evidence that they knew there weren't WMDs and boxes of missing Florida ballots.

nomos

Administrator
Thx red :)

I think my favourite post-911 hip hop moment (that i've picked up on, anyway) was Madvillain's "Strange Ways" where Zevlove/Doom describes the hazy chaos of the moment after and the start of the totalitarian spiral.

When the smoke clears you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of Leviathan
My friend
You call 'em strangers
Anybody who talks to them ends up in some danger

Last edited:

xero

was minusone
the video's powerful stuff - does anyone know if it's being widely screened in the US? MTV?

redcrescent

I dunno about airplay in the US, but "Mosh" is #1 on the Hot 5 videos on MTV.com so some people must be seeing it!
If you are in the US, you can vote to have it played on MTV's Total Request Live, where it was #1 last week, apparently. Vote as often as you like.
Checked the MTV message boards (blessed be Dissensus!) to see if it was a hot topic, no chance. Did turn up a corker, though:

"OSAMA BIN LADEN QUOTES MICHAEL MOORE
On his new tape today he quotes the Farenheit 9/11 movie about Bush reading to school children during the 9-11 attack.
THANKS YOU!!YOU FAT SLOB.

The American Left are the ENEMY WITHIN!!
But why should I complain?? At least when the islamofacists attack another city in the USA it will be a heavilty liberal city like New York."

(sighs)

Has anyone read KRS-One on 9/11?

DavidD

can't be stopped
KRS is a fucking idiot. I love his old music but the man is fucking off his rocker.

Anyway yeah "Mosh" is getting regular airplay, it was on BET rap city the other day and they debuted it on TRL last week.

B

be.jazz

Eminem is interestingly out-of-rhythm on a lot of the track (sometimes ahead of the beat, sometimes disregarding it completely). Interesting that he chose to release this right after his silliest song ever.

originaldrum

from start till done
first of all f**k eminem

i don't reckon he chooses anything much really

"STOP WAR" - brought to you by universal music tm

he came to this party a little late didn't he

this is the tackiest fuck stain of a backlash to michael moores success (ch-ching)

the revolution will not be televised

rant over (sorry)

Last edited:

Tobias

originaldrum said:
the revolution will not be televised

Hm. Does that mean the revolution is not going to happen or is it going to be carried out by some ultrasecret forces nobody knows about? And if the latter: how are we going to told?

B

be.jazz

Tobias said:
Hm. Does that mean the revolution is not going to happen or is it going to be carried out by some ultrasecret forces nobody knows about? And if the latter: how are we going to told?
Listen to this and find out:

B000005MLX.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tobias

So the revolution will not be televised was a Gil Scott-Heron quote and not about the question whether the revolution will actually be televised?
Just asking.
And I love Gil Scott-Heron.
But it's a more than weak argument against the possible political impact of Eminem's new single that it's on MTV.
And apart from that: I think the sentence is simply wrong.

originaldrum

from start till done
Tobias said:
So the revolution will not be televised

But it's a more than weak argument against the possible political impact of Eminem's new single that it's on MTV.

And apart from that: I think the sentence is simply wrong.

yeah well my six word thesis could have probably been a little better researched - i'll be the first to admit that

as for the weak argument bit - i'm sure it will have a political impact - one pretty much equivalent to jack shit , but an impact nevertheless

but the good news is - i totally agree with you about the television bit , we shouldn't be interpreting that statement in the context of gil scott-heron, nah! , we should be taking the more literal interpretation - of course CNN & NBC & FOX will be there, filming their little hearts out, unbiased of course, no sponsorship dollars to be had here, and no political prejudice either!

peace out blad - i'm glad we can all have such diverse opinions and still co-exist happily

"STOP WAR" - brought to you by universal music tm

heh heh

Rambler

Awanturnik
Supplemental discussion in this post by Aaron Wherry: http://popwherry.blogspot.com/2004/11/at-buzzer-this-would-have-appeared-in.html

Personally, I'm glad _someone_ is getting some serious airplay to get out the vote. Normally 'Rock the Vote' and similar ideas are reported with a sarcastic sneer, so he's doing a good thing on that score. However, it's a pretty weak track once you strip away the political message isn't it?

On a related note, the music pages of the Saturday Times in the UK have a short column on must-see video of the week. This week, judging by the number of links, blog column inches and mirror sites springing up there was surely only one candidate. The Times did manage to ref Eminiem, but got the video everyone was talking about last month. Dopes.