the last 'band' you were 'into' before you renounced indie

don't tell me you're still an indie kid

• Total voters

sufi

lala
were they a gateway to teckno, or did you do a damascene conversion from full on baggie to utter grimer?

BareBones

wheezy
haha, glasvegas, oh dear.

edit: that doesn't mean my answer is glasvegas, i was just oh-dearing at their existence generally

S

simon silverdollar

i heard that they were the saviours of rock and roll? you mean to tell me they're not? it's difficult to keep up with who the saviours of rock and roll are.

swears

preppy-kei
I liked Nirvana when I was about 12, but then I liked Prodigy more... but then I stopped liking them when they became a rock band anyway. I dunno. I like Loveless, but that's OK, because it's really an electronica album. ;)

john eden

male pale and stale
I don't think I ever renounced formally...
http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2007/07/independent-of-what/

I still listen to Sigue Sigue Sputnik and the Blaggers and Primal Scream. Even when I was into Adam and The Ants I still rated Kraftwerk...

I think I fell out of love with a lot of guitar music in the mid 90s though. But I've always had mates in bands like Headbutt (or Giant Paw these days). And I saw Psychic TV recently doing their sub-VU thing which was great.

I was never really much into that angsty jingly jangly stuff anyway.

And there were a lot of crossover people like PTV and The Shamen and Tackhead also.

STN

sou'wester
I think they were superceded by Rumble Strips.

Loop are wicked, I reckon. I also have love for Suede, The Smiths and the Stone Roses.

john eden

male pale and stale
Also The Pixies, can't really argue with them if you want something shouty while you're cooking.

crackerjack

I was hugely into the Happy Mondays, but they were the first rock band other than the Pixies I'd liked for years - I don't think they count as indie

Pestario

tell your friends
I never did guitar music for some reason. I started from hiphop then went faster and techier from there...

D

droid

Who can remember, It was so long ago... Most of the stuff I was into was already old by the time I got round to it... I remember buying the 2nd Stone Roses album, was quite into Death around the same time. Does massive attack count? :D

crackerjack

:D LOL... they're a band arent they? I dont even know anymore.

I only count the first two albums, the others are probably fairly indie and also quite shit.

Blue Lines is 100% hip hop-soul-reggae.

They went downhill when they put away the Studio One and started listening to Eno.

martin

----
Probably Suede and Pulp, maybe even Cornershop. Just seemed that after "This is Hardcore" the rot really set in, with tonnes of bands breaking through to TOTP to whinge and cry about life being awful, with their guitars turned up to 2.

crackerjack

Do TV on the Radio count?

There are quite a few bands mentioned here who I like (Suede's singles are mostly brilliant), even though if I ever 'renounced' indie it was over 20 years ago!