i-D Live @ Cargo

Fiddy

24 03 05 : i-D LIVE
Live showcase from the style mag leaders...

In Celebration of London street music, i-D magazine presents the next installment from i-D Live. DJ Ross Allen and MC Riko will be helping us through the proceedings, mixing up a selection of party classics, grime, bashment, dirty south rap, west coast funk and the rest. From Madonna to Wiley, Run DMC to Vybz Kartel we've got it covered - along with many more surprises on the night.
Appearing Live…
Lady Sovereign
Our favourite alternative grime shortie will be taking a break from the studio to perform new single 'Random' and the forthcoming 'Blah Blah.'
Kano, Demon & Ghetto
Fresh from supporting The Streets, 679 Recordings latest hotshot, Kano will be bringing along co-d's Demon and Ghetto to show you exactly how they do.
Roll Deep
They're celebrating signing to Relentless Records and so are we, as the full Roll Deep Entourage including Trim, Breeze, Scratchy and Riko prepare to reveal a range of musical genius during their set.
Klashnekoff
If there's a first man of hip hop right now it's Klashnekoff. Currently laying down his next album, he's taking the night off, literally, to join us in our celebrations and to perform classic 'Murda' (we hope).
Crazy Titch
Titch will be downing the Crazy pills, supplying you in turn with underground anthems 'I Can C U' and 'Singalong'.
Essentials
One of the hottest and most slept-on crews working the circuit, Essentials make their Cargo debut at i-D Live. We promise you, with DJ Bossman and MC's Remerdee, K Dot, NE and Jendor it's unlikely you've seen anything like it.
Katie Pearl
One of the first ladies of the R&B/grime fusion that they be calling R&G, Katie Pearl gives us a first hand taste of why she's got the thugs on lock with 'Mr DJ' and 'Leave Me Alone'.
JME
Meridian Crew's JME (who also pars alongside Roll Deep) unleashes his debut 'Serious.' Listen carefully and you'll hear one of grime's future flag-flyers.
Stush
Putting the b into bashment, Stush brings her grimey-dancehall fusion into the mix at Cargo, performing the classic 'Dollar Signs.'
Logan Sama & Guests
Rounding off the evening will be Rinse 100.3FM's Logan Sama. For one night only he'll be taking the heat from the streets to Cargo with a grand finale bonanza set to end all sets. Keep the cab waiting.

7pm-1am
£5 adv. £7 on door.
LIVE: Lady Sovereign, JME, Crazy Titch, Klashnekoff, Durrty Goodz (TBC), Stush, Kano, Demon & Ghetto, Katie Pearl, D Double E & Newham Generals (TBC), Essentials, Roll Deep, DJ Logan Sama and surprise guests on the night.
Your hosts for the night: DJ Ross Allen & MC Riko

www.cargo-london.com
www.i-dmagazine.com
www.chantellefiddy.blogspot.com
www.hattiecollins.blogspot.com

mms

sometimes
hmm stush,
what happened there, she was ready to be big a few years ago.
do you know if she is doing any new stuff?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I'm 99% certain to be at this- anyone else going? I think I'm going to turn up at nine-ish. Possibly.

I guess it's likely to be quite short PAs with so many people on the bill. Mind you, with Riko as compere, anything can happen, so it'll be fun I hope.

ambrose

this looks decent!

i reckon i should be reaching this.

why is klashnekoff playing?!

hope essentials turn up

outraygeous

yeah im there

if newham gens turn up, im gona do what happnd at the nas concert and ventelate the celing.

with imaginary bullets of course!

gumdrops

could the author of this post advise people coming on what time is best to turn up and what time the artists are expected on stage?

thanks

i aint reaching - i nearly won tickets on targets show ...TWICE but lost

and........

my friends have blown me out for Secret Machines @ Electric Ballroom so im jus gonna re-engineer some tunes i guess........

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Ah Secret Machines have gone all soft these days, so it's probably for the best.

I'm getting down Cargo 8ish. I have long dark hair and a short sleeved mediterranean shirt. Keeping it real.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i was in the queue for this at about 11 when The Bug comes out and goes "all the grime's finished."
did i miss anything special? (on past experience, Cargo's never the best place for grime)

outraygeous

i was there..

hi lights for me:
jammer is easily the hypest man on stage right now.. the dude is massive..
klash ya ras clatt neck off was big.. 1st time ive seen him live and he murked it
gooodz was okayyy, not really much there.. came with some new tracks that not many people knew.
kano and his men have got one of the best stage shows right now. WAYYY to hype.. that was off the chain
roll deep were alrite, roachy hurt it and breeze is massive...
essentials with davinche behind them could do very well, there stage prescene was prolly a bit to intimidatory for the cargo crowd, for your average cargo goer, essentials look straighttttt from the block.

and osama bin logan tied up the nite nicley with a sweet set at the end, even drawing for i will not lose, that was big.

and if logan sees this id just like to say he has good taste in tees coz i got the same one..

for a £5 lastnight, you couldnt fo wrong in any which way!

Melmoth

Bruxist
Blackdown said:
i was in the queue for this at about 11 when The Bug comes out and goes "all the grime's finished."

He was mistaken then, Essentials and Kano were both on after 11 and were the highlights of the night for me. Essentials were incredibly tight and militant, really powerful stuff. Riko was superb throughout, intervening inna ruffneck style into various peoples sets - the crowd went off whenever he stepped up. I had a quick chat with him, and heard Klashnekoff being interviewed in the cafe, he's pretty conscious. Strange mix of grimesters and ID types in the crowd, but I thought the atmosphere in the back room was great. Roll Deep were underwhelming, no Wiley or Scratchy. Who was that girl on before them, was that No Lay? She was fiercely good.

Really good night.

Fiddy

Respectos

Fiddy and Collins here...
Thanks to everyone who came down last night. Just a quick recap of who performed as, inevitably, the line-up got rejigged due to standard lateness. But the liveness ran from 9.30-12.30.

Wiley, JME, Skepta, Riko and DJ Cheeky opened the live proceedings at around 9.30 (Wiley a shocking, but very pleasant surprise guest. As was Skepta. And Cheeky). Off to a 'serious' start, Crazy Titch and J2K, No Lay, Lady Sovereign (who had discharged herself especcially from hospital that morn to do an exclusive 'adidas Hoodie'), Roll Deep, Klashenkoff (salute!) and the Terra Firma Crew, Durrty Goodz, a special apperence from Jammer, Ears and DJ Samurai with MC Riko once more, Essentials w/ Katie Pearld, Paperchase and Bossman and finally Kano, Demon, Ghetto and Bionix rounded the night off before DJ Logan Sama wrapped up proceedings with a short but lovely vocal set. Unfortunately Bruza, Wiley and Jammer had to be disuaded from returning to the stage to drop more lyrics cos the Cargo curfew had passed.

A huge and massive thankyou to all the emcee's, DJ's, hype-men, producers, singers and spitters who not only turned up but ripped it up. Shouts also to Ross Allen for keeping it moving, MC Riko for hosting the night, Cargo and their lovely security and door people, Bacardi, Stella and, of course iD, Ben Rear-Don in particular for believing in the music and supporting. Thanks also to everyone who not only came down and supported but made the night even for a success by bringing a great vibe. Braaaap!