Bragging rights - heroic events of immense kudos achieved before you lost your edge

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Put modesty to side and become the muso bores you pretend not to be!

I saw Nirvana in the Duchess of York pub in Leeds in 1989 supporting Tad in front of about 50 people

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was best mates with Burial until I ran over his dog.

So technically I'm responsible for 'Archangel'.

oswellm

Maximo Park nearly played in my north-eastern hometown (pop. 8,000) at the esteemed 'selefest' festival, but they had to pull out on account of the fact they were in the studio that day, recording their debut for Warp.

Had they shown, it would undoubtedly have been one of those seminal moments that would have saved me from a life listening to shit.

alex

Do not read this.
^lol..

I remember, my friends lives down devons road, he used to speak to dizzee all the time. I remember the day he came & showed me the Fix Up Look Sharp instrumental on CD which Dyllan gave him, needless to say I went fucking mental over it. (I was still in school @ the time), so yea.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Me and Morrissey used to run up on people with the gun up

But then he got dumped by that stripper and started writing all those fucking poems :mad:

STN

sou'wester
I used to be in Manowar, but I got kicked out for dressing too much like He-Man.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
ok, gonna try and wrestle the initiative back with another serious one

I met Lee Perry, about 5 yrs ago, looking lost at Stansted Airport and took him to where he needed to check in...he was wearing a gold crown

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I actually can't think of any real ones. My life has been uneventful and pathetic, roughly in equal measure.

So:

I taught Eminem to swim without armbands.

john eden

male pale and stale
People who have been described as "the most evil man in Britain" who I have met:

Genesis P-Orridge
Ian Bone

STN

sou'wester
I had the Jurassic Five EP on import, prior to it becoming student fodder everywhere.

Not that cool, am I?

Client Eastwood

A friend called Martin playing me a rough mix of LFO-LFO at the Bassic Studio above a taxi rank in Leeds.

Calling around to my mates house and seeing LKJ sat on the sofa looking well dappa as per. It was at the time I knew all the words to Dread Beat and Blood.

Pestario

tell your friends
I saw Pendulum when they did gigs in dodgy pubs with carpet dance floors.

I'm sad that this is all I have to offer.

john eden

male pale and stale
I once leafletted a showing of the KLF's "The KLF burn a million quid" film and gave one to Bill Drummond, who kindly wrote me a letter about it shortly afterwards.

nomos

Administrator
my favourite things from the last few years are handwritten cd-rs of the first burial album and shackleton's blood on my hands that each arrived unexpectedly in the mail before anyone had heard them.

also, everyone already knowing who i was when i showed up at FWD 4 summers ago, straight off the plane. and skepta bigging me up. that was surreal.

when i was 7, i hung out with beatrice arthur on the set of a commercial.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I went to some very early Skull Discos. There you go.

Also, my brother was in the Levellers.

mixed_biscuits

I then lost my edge by thenceforth failing to compliment anybody for anything that they've done (= no freebies)

Being personally phoned up by two record label bosses who liked my generic drum and bass demo. I then lost my edge by failing to make anything halfway decent again, or indeed even get the demo tracks released.

Last edited: