Downer/Loner Folk

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
May as well start a thread about this since it makes up at least 50% of my current listening habits.

Post-Skip Spence/Proto-Jandek/Parallel-Nick Drake ex-hippie depression, usually heavy apocalyptic christian themes. Top picks:

Bob Desper - New Sounds (1974) - Blind guy from Portland with ultra-gloomy, ultra-sparse one take recording, lots of lyrics about how everyone else is blind to the meaning of life. Some religious redemption songs but still bleak.

Dave Bixby - Ode to Quetzalcotl (1969) - Ex-junkie xian redemption tale, but he doesn't sound very redeemed. Lots of guilt and shame, echoey recording.

Bill Clint - The Crying of a Generation (1975) - First couple of songs start of as peaceful, reflective folk with even a sweet female vocalist singing backup, but about 8 minutes into the 11 minute "Angels Don't Need Friends" he breaks down crying (not sure how genuine it is) and it gets VERY FUCKING CREEPY. Next song cuts abruptly to him imitating a baby crying (through a fully grown throat) which should be funny but isn't.

That'll do for now, honourable mentions: Perry Leopold, Randy Rice, Rin Eric, Harbinger, Boa and Constrictor.

Anyone know of anything I've missed?

zhao

there are no accidents
my favorite in this vein, not sure how well he fits though as he's much more abstract and not "song based", is Loren MazzaCane Connors.