Dam Funk

Lethem

Interloper out 1st of Oct
Any one feeling this guys Music

Gotta pick up his new record.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
yeah i love his stuff, seems to be stuck in a time warp (in a good way).

isn't there supposed to be some quadruple lp set coming out?

quick google suggests a 5lp set!

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, I'm mostly not into a lot of new sorta downtempo hip-hop beat stuff, but really enjoying what I've heard so far from this guy.

That track 'Toeachizown' makes me think heaps of some 90s R&B which I can't quite pick, but stands up awesomely as it is (i.e. no vox). Nice to have it for free to. Got mine from XLR8R, see Fader giving it away too in the above post...

Looking forward to hearing more.

shaolinsoul

Yeah, I'm mostly not into a lot of new sorta downtempo hip-hop beat stuff, but really enjoying what I've heard so far from this guy.

That track 'Toeachizown' makes me think heaps of some 90s R&B which I can't quite pick, but stands up awesomely as it is (i.e. no vox). Nice to have it for free to. Got mine from XLR8R, see Fader giving it away too in the above post...

Looking forward to hearing more.

You might want to check his myspace. (www.myspace.com/damfunk)

His best pieces imo are some of his unreleased "mastered to cassette" tapes from the 90's. I cant get enough of it, his chord programming is ridiculous..just beautiful. Minimal but effective.

Its always quite refreshing to hear a real trained musician rather than a newb in the field. I mean he really just funnels the best part of the late 80's westcoast boogie into smooth stoned out 90 degree weather LA smashers.

drilla

unabashedly approve... I hope more unknown bedroom lo fi geniuses are discovered and promoted. I knew my own from lost angeles back in the early 00's (how strange to say that), and have an archive of crappy 160kb/s mp3s to attest, but alas, he's gone missing.

The City of Inky Cap... Enfant Perdus... where did you leave to

er, sorry for the digression. DAM FUNKKKK!

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
His best pieces imo are some of his unreleased "mastered to cassette" tapes from the 90's. I cant get enough of it, his chord programming is ridiculous..just beautiful. Minimal but effective.

Ah shit, his sound all makes so much sense now. I just assume newly hyped peeps are kids, but of course that needn't be the case at all.

Man, rocking the Linn drum like there's no tomorrow. He's programmed the beat from 'Juicy Fruit' somewhere in there... Haha, good times.

I don't mean to be a production snob, but hearing these kinds of chords etc. played out on a nasty sounding electric piano just does all the wrong things for me. Emphasises the "jazzy" aspects (and I mean "jazzy") or something - connotations of lounge bar shit, I guess.

shaolinsoul

Ah shit, his sound all makes so much sense now. I just assume newly hyped peeps are kids, but of course that needn't be the case at all.

Man, rocking the Linn drum like there's no tomorrow. He's programmed the beat from 'Juicy Fruit' somewhere in there... Haha, good times.

I don't mean to be a production snob, but hearing these kinds of chords etc. played out on a nasty sounding electric piano just does all the wrong things for me. Emphasises the "jazzy" aspects (and I mean "jazzy") or something - connotations of lounge bar shit, I guess.

Haha, remember he was quite influential in the development of the west coast G-funk sound, (warren G, nate dogg etc) in the 90's where he played keys as a session musician on most of the famous albums . I know hes not a fan of hip-hop, but the G-funk sound can be credited partly to him. As far as lounge jazz yeah there are some Paul Harcastle - rainforest moments, but I personally love that shit.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Again, I'm learning stuff I didn't know about the guy.

The G funk thing is exactly what I heard in his music - makes total sense to hear he was part of all that.

gumdrops

i like this. good to hear someone who can actually play doing stuff like this. though i wouldnt mind hearing him break out of typical hip hop rhythms. some other kind of drum programming would be nice.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i like this. good to hear someone who can actually play doing stuff like this. though i wouldnt mind hearing him break out of typical hip hop rhythms. some other kind of drum programming would be nice.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

i love that they used outrun, it makes such perfect sense

shaolinsoul

i love that they used outrun, it makes such perfect sense

passing breeze..best song in the whole game!

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
He's on the line-up at Stereo in Glasgow tonight. Sadly I can't make it, but any fans in the area ought to take a trip down.

andysays

not andy
remix he did for Peanut Butter Wolf's old band - first thing i heard by him and i dont reckon anything tops it so far:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CrowleyHead

Lamely enough, I only recently discovered it was Dam-Funk in the Hudson Mohawke Mary Anne Hobbs mix, and I rinsed the hell out of it...

Wild Horses
he's done decent bits, but i think he really limits his recent stuff musically which maybe due to the fact he likes writing loops more than actually progressing something as a song, production is decent. great dj, got lots of charm. a real presence.

Last edited: