Ligeti

petergunn

plywood violin
listening to Atmospheres, amazing sort of nasty floating music......

Ligeti himself said that he intended the listener to become lost in the depth of the texture and tone and become completely oblivious to the passage of time.

http://rs365.rapidshare.com/files/113689014/Ligeti_-_The_Ligeti_Project_II_-_Atmospheres.zip

like seeing smoke rise off a far off lake............ wispy.........

anyways, prior to seeing "2001", i had no idea who this guy was, but being a big Bartok fan, i was chuffed to find him... anyone wanna tell me what else to check out by him?

jenks

thread death
Cheers on the dl now

very much a fan of stuff i have heard but am very poor on the background

Worth going to see Atmospheres performed. It's one of the best orchestral pieces I've ever experienced.

A kind of microsound composition for orchestra, it really comes alive when seeing it unfold from 40+ different sound sources coming together. It was a stunningly physical experience. Saw it in a program with Messiaen and Xenakis and blew the other two out of the water.

With Ligeti there's so much original thought in service of a visceral, original sensual experience that he's one of my favourite 20th Century composers. His work is apparently used in Kubrick's 2001, though I can't remember where now.

Amplesamples

Continuum

I always liked a lot of his keyboard music, being a pianist.

Continuum is an amazing piece of music, similar conceptually to larger scale works like Lontano but obviously the timbre of the harpsichord is different.

His piano etudes are also amazing, shifting time signatures and metres. One day I'll be able to play this...

CHAOTROPIC

on account
With Ligeti there's so much original thought in service of a visceral, original sensual experience that he's one of my favourite 20th Century composers. His work is apparently used in Kubrick's 2001, though I can't remember where now.

It's a while since I've seen it, but I definitely remember Kubrick using Ligeti's Lux Aeterna when the small ship is shooting across the lunar surface. All those dense dissonant choral textures. He's so amazing. His piano works totally kill too.

STN

sou'wester

famously without permission, I think. Nice one petergunn for starting this thread, I was planning a Ligeti thread but know literally nothing about the man. I'm also a fan of Bartok, but what's the connection between the two? Other than Kubrick...

Oh, and being Hungarian and quite modern? Silly question i suppose.

zhao

there are no accidents
His work is apparently used in Kubrick's 2001, though I can't remember where now.

in the crazy psychedelic abstract last 15 minutes of the film... yes all is right in the universe :)

love lots of Ligeti... but some of his early work still have a bit of the 12 tone stamp on it... which always pretty much ruin it for me. if i harbor one musical prejudice...

peter you should mos def get into Scelsi next, if you haven't already... and then Iancu Dumitrescu (another fearsome Hungarian) and Gerard Grisey and Kaija Saariaho, etc...

oswellm

I was obsessed with 2001 as a kid so all that stuff has stuck with me, although aside from hearing some of his other works performed, I'm not that familiar his work outside said film. I think Lux Aeterna is definitely one of my all time favourite modern classical pieces, and probably one of the reasons why I'm generally massively into droney, formless-sounding music now..

petergunn

plywood violin
in the crazy psychedelic abstract last 15 minutes of the film... yes all is right in the universe :)

love lots of Ligeti... but some of his early work still have a bit of the 12 tone stamp on it... which always pretty much ruin it for me. if i harbor one musical prejudice...

peter you should mos def get into Scelsi next, if you haven't already... and then Iancu Dumitrescu (another fearsome Hungarian) and Gerard Grisey and Kaija Saariaho, etc...

thx for the suggestions, zhao, will check...

bartok and ligeti, well i hear a strong bartok influence on ligeti... plus, for modern composers, both had a background doing work w/ hunagrian folk songs.. ligeti was taught by Kodaly, Bartok's partner in his enthomusicology work...

CHAOTROPIC

on account

peter you should mos def get into Scelsi next, if you haven't already... and then Iancu Dumitrescu

Kubrick sticks Ligeti in earlier than that. When the ship is skimming over the lunar surface it's his Requiem in all its glory.

Dumitrescu would blow anyone away though. Got that tip from your blog, so thank you Mr Zhao :D I know what you mean about the 12 tone prejudice ... I have a 'modern classical' prejudice but Dumitrescu sails straight over it without a bump. Beautiful body music.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Dumitrescu would blow anyone away though. Got that tip from your blog, so thank you Mr Zhao :D I have a 'modern classical' prejudice but Dumitrescu sails straight over it without a bump. Beautiful body music.

you're welcome :) yeah those horrifically beautiful tone-textures... acoustic pan sonic? i will play it on a massive system one day and that's a promise.

anyone else interested in Spectral music go to different waters and search for Spectralism, many recordings not available anywhere else, on or off line...

also i highly recommend the "bags of flutes" posts. all modern flute pieces, all mind blowing and drop dead gorgeous...

Last edited:
Oooh a Ligeti thread. My tuppence for what it's worth -

His early work is very Bartok derivative and probably not worth the effort, although his 1st String Quartet might be worth a listen if you like the Bartok quartets - it could almost be a long lost 7th or something. Also I tend to avoid the later stuff post 'Double Concerto for Flute and Oboe' (piano etudes being the exception) where it all seems to get a bit congested and confused. However his middle period, where he truly discovers his own voice, is just pure gold, and the canon of work from Apparitions through to the Double Concerto has to go down as some of the greatest art of the 20TH C. Particular faves of mine are Lux Aeterna - Lontano - Cello Concerto - 2 Organ studies - 2nd String Quartet - ach sod it they're all great.

Interesting point re. Ligeti and 2001 - I read somewhere (sorry no link) that, rather than the unlicenced use of his work, he was actually more annoyed by the misconstruing of the ideas behind his music, (the exploration of space from an artistic/sculpturalpoint point of view), with the 'scifi space' synonymity it's developed as a result of it's (artistically) relatively minor (only 2 pieces used) association with 2001. To me though this is a sign of the power of his music, and I like to think of it this way - 2001 is synonomous with the music of Ligeti, not the other way 'round. I find listening to his music (Xenakis and the spectralists are the same) a very 'sculptural' experience - it conjures visions of vast diaphanous clouds of mutating textures and colors suspended, gloriously unresolved in space. It also makes me think of space ships and mars though he he

kubrick uses some ligeti in The Shining, too, if i'm not mistaken

Yes Lontano is used at some point along with a deluge of Penderecki nastiness and some scored electronic biz. The Shining wouldn't be half the film it is (possible exaggeration) without the Adagio 3rd movement of Bartoks 'Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta' which is used quite brilliantly (and fairly extensively) towards the beginning to gently ratchet up the tension before things really go belly up. Along with Lux Aeterna probably my favourite piece of classical music - just so eerily beautiful.

Also @ petergunn if you're not already familiar with his work, you might like Witold Lutoslawski, who's sound (to these ears at least) straddles the Bartok - Ligeti gap nicely while maintaining a distinct voice.

Oh, I should probably say hello, this being my first post n' all :D

Last edited:

gnome

Def. interested in checking out the spectralist stuff but I think yr links are down Zhao :(

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i listened to atmospheres last night on headphones before i went to sleep
the way the strings swell and surge is otherworldly, yet sounds like a force of nature, like the cosmos breathing or summat
it must be something else to be in the orchestra pit