Hyphy vs Jerkin

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
I grew up in the Bay Area (the 'sico). I moved away a few years but I still try and keep up with the stuff going on. Have a question for anyone who follows West Coast hiphop:

What happened to hyphy and what is jerkin?

I came across jerkin about 6 months ago. At first I thought it was just some pretty intelligent rebranding by a highschool student (Jhawk). Hyphy had clearly fallen out of media favor and rebranding it as jerkin seemed a good way of getting press.

Hell, there was even a shitty dance to go with it.

So...Has this what hyphy has come to? Did they send all their 'purple' drank to Bristol? Why is E-40 in a Brokencyde song? If anyone knows better, let me know. Its hard getting info here in the UK.

For randoms wanting to check out more:

Pink Dollaz: I'm Tasty, by the far the best track with the Jerkin' label

New Boyz: You're a Jerk (sample of Steve Urkel)

JHawk: Check out his mixtape where he basically lays the scene at his feet
http://www.myspace.com/jhawkproductions
http://www.zshare.net/download/575196508d0e657a/ h

rosebeast

I'm liking a lot of the jerk stuff very much at the moment. The D.I.Y rawness is definitely an appeal. I'm not convinced it's going to break out though, just because I still don't think there'e been one big song to emerge out of the scene that really screams "crossover", although a few canny major label artists have started tapping in on what's going on. Keke Palmer, a Disney star who is looking to break out of the tweenie ghetto this year has recorded a song called "Superjerkin'" which is actually pretty awesome!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And yes...Pink Dollaz are totally the best thing to come out of jerkin. Actually if any jerk artist could possibly make something out of the scene, I'd say they might be the girls to do it. I raved about them a while back and remarked how necessary it was they hook with Electrik Red and pull an En Vogue / Salt N' Pepa type stunt, which I still totally endorse!

nochexxx

harco pronting
is keke palmer's super jerking intentionally using the same flow as E-40's muscle cars or is this just good old fashioned plagiarism?

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
is keke palmer's super jerking intentionally using the same flow as E-40's muscle cars or is this just good old fashioned plagiarism?

That was what I was kinda getting at in my first post. Is it just hyphy by another name? I like hyphy so have no problems with that

just because I still don't think there'e been one big song to emerge out of the scene that really screams "crossover"

Looks like New Boyz are getting some money behind them:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Hyphy - northern california - not really much of a movement around that right now though there is some good music coming out or that has come out in the past few months.
Traxamillion's productions. The jacka's new album, Droop E's productions etc..

Jerk - Southern California- has a similar sound to hyphy but it is not hyphy. mixes well with it though.

Last edited:
this beat is incredible

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
sister track to this? girl powers come a long way...

benjybars

village elder.
this beat is incredible

yep.

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
Major labels are just grabbing the best stuff and making shit videos:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Oh wait... they are putting money behind the shit songs as well

benjybars

village elder.

nice little video. "it's all about bass and a clap" .. sounds like that 05 dubstep doc ;)

the bit at 3.56 is quality!

i'm feeling this music SO HARD at the moment. :)