Hip Hop 09?

drilla

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Heard a different amazing track at So Bones that he compares to Grindin', but scanning the album I want to draw attention to this particular madness... the album in general has revived my interest in hip hop which had been waning these past few years.

The old thread has been closed for 2 years (why?) so why not a fresh one for this year

Last edited:

Lethem

Interloper out 1st of Oct
For me 09 has re-ignited my love of Hip Hop, I have DOOM and Mos Def to blame for this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Sounds of the universe, hurry the fuck up and stock this album...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I heard the latest Q-Tip album the other day, it's very good. Also love the latest Slum Village tune ('Cloud Nine').

Isn't the new Raekwon album out this year? I've heard some good bits from it.

Basically the only hip-hop I hear nowadays is on Benji B's show, would like to know what else is around though. Hip-Hop is still THE music for me.

crackerjack

I heard the latest Q-Tip album the other day, it's very good. Also love the latest Slum Village tune ('Cloud Nine').

Isn't the new Raekwon album out this year? I've heard some good bits from it.

Basically the only hip-hop I hear nowadays is on Benji B's show, would like to know what else is around though. Hip-Hop is still THE music for me.

Q-Tip was 08, strictly speaking, though you're right about it being good. New Mos Def is brilliant, which is a sentence I never expected to type again.

crackerjack

Heard a different amazing track at So Bones that he compares to Grindin', but scanning the album I want to draw attention to this particular madness... the album in general has revived my interest in hip hop which had been waning these past few years.

The old thread has been closed for 2 years (why?) so why not a fresh one for this year

Production is nuts, thanks for posting.

petergunn

plywood violin
song is good, video is pure dave chapelle........

this song is totally sick, got that OLD triple 6 vibe.......

Algierstwin

For me 09 has re-ignited my love of Hip Hop, I have DOOM and Mos Def to blame for this...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Sounds of the universe, hurry the fuck up and stock this album...

if you talking about mos def its been in for a weeek!

Lethem

song is good, video is pure dave chapelle........

this song is totally sick, got that OLD triple 6 vibe.......

Im not feeling this man, sounds like something the Boondocks would parody, where's the wit, the depth to the lyrics, where is the creativety? Dosn't even have a groove.

I know this isn't 09 hip hop but I think its a good example of the stuff that I like.

I really like what Stones Throw is doing at the moment, have to be one of my fav labels right now.

and I know this is on lex but still...

Raekwon on an beat that uses ESG's UFO track!

hucks

Your Message Here
Got the Mos Def album yeterday, so thanks for the heads up. A return to form, except for the one that sounds like someone doing Umi Says off the first album for their GCSE Spanish oral.

Is the Doom album good, then?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Q-Tip was 08, strictly speaking, though you're right about it being good. New Mos Def is brilliant, which is a sentence I never expected to type again.

Yeah I thought it might be, I don't keep up with hip-hop at all anymore. Used to be the only thing I listened to.

I've only really discovered Dilla and Doom in the last year, so I'm happy enough catching up on all that stuff. I've heard some good stuff by Black Milk, Focus etc. too. I think there's a lot of really good stuff about it's just swamped in a huge quagmire of shite.

Lethem

Got the Mos Def album yeterday, so thanks for the heads up. A return to form, except for the one that sounds like someone doing Umi Says off the first album for their GCSE Spanish oral.

@ Corpsey "I've only really discovered Dilla and Doom in the last year, so I'm happy enough catching up on all that stuff. I've heard some good stuff by Black Milk, Focus etc. too. I think there's a lot of really good stuff about it's just swamped in a huge quagmire of shite."

Enjoy

mos dan

fact music
recently:

me: "yeah, what's *happened* to hip hop?"
bok bok: "kanye west"

do you think it's fair to say there's been a brain drain to rnb? i mean, the-dream album is a total stand out this year.. will check out some of the above though, cheers.

crackerjack

Ha, yeah, he always has a few waffly moments. But Auditorium is oustanding, both him and Slick Rick

Nothing you haven't heard before if you're a fan, but worth getting if you're up for more.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
It doesn't matter what Three Six Mafia does for the rest of their career, they'll never match the pure poetry of: "i gotta stay hii-i-iii-iii-igh/till i di-iii-iii-ie"

I think RnB sorta took over the radiowaves and the braindrain started in 2004 or maybe a little earlier...

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
I think RnB sorta took over the radiowaves and the braindrain started in 2004 or maybe a little earlier...

As much I like to think my teen years held nothing but Gansta Rap, 90s radio was crammed with RnB. Yes, there were radio shows (always have been) playing hiphop but the big places (national radio, MTV) were dominated by Mariah Carey, En Vogue, Boys2Men, Jodeci, R kelly, Brandy, Babyface ...

the horror

Lethem

I love this Video, Mos Def talking about MF Doom.

gumdrops

kanyes got nothing to do with it imo. its not like everyone else started singing, except lil wayne. plus rappers have been singing since the late 90s. dre3000, cee lo etc. i dont know what happened to mainstream rap this year really. theres prob stuff ive overlooked but most of it just seems okay, decent, but nothing really surprising or fresh, apart from a few tracks here and there. doom, mos, dilla, are basically the best things ive heard this year - i love their albums. i even like the spanish rapping track mos did, even if he sounds like someone memorising a language tape.