Hall of Shame - pitiful events of immense embarrassment which you will never forget

zhao

there are no accidents
at an Ngoma event a few months ago i stupidly fucked up. that night i was under a lot of pressure, first event in a long time, new venue, by 1 AM the place was still pretty empty... and sometimes when i'm stressed i tend to drink. so i had like 4 or 5 beers and then someone gave me a joint to smoke... and then when it was time for me to play i did one stupid thing after another, and the biggest was that my level was all the way up on the master mixer, and i was too fucked up to realize why the sound was complete shit... people left the dancefloor... and this magazine editor who wanted to do a special on me for next issue never spoke to me again after that shameful hour...

i kind of want to find the tiniest crack in the ground and hide in it even now when i think about it.

so lets have them, the more embarrassing the better... the more stupid the better. i especially want to hear fucked up music shows where people chucked stuff at you, booed, or worse: simply walked away.

Last edited:
Playing grime at a particularly messy party/hijacked function room in Liverpool, I had two slots- one at 10-11 and one at 2-3. For some reason I thought "oh yeah it'll be fine if I just get fucked- I'll play vocals in the second hour and that's a piece of piss".

Anyway, a load of green and red stripe later I'm about halfway through my set and in the middle of the mix. I've clanged probably about 5 tunes so far and one dropped another two. Apart from that it's alright.
So I'm playing one "...Endz" refix and trying to mix into another, got so involved in the tune I'm bringing in that I don't realise that the first one's finished and a fair few people are staring at me as I light a cigarette with my back to them, dancing to the tune in my ears.

I've never lived that down.

zhao

there are no accidents
a fair few people are staring at me as I light a cigarette with my back to them, dancing to the tune in my ears.

hahahaha i can totally imagine that. embarrassing but also kind of cute though. not nearly as bad as mine!

wise

bare BARE BONES
Hopefully this is such a classic fuck up that most people have done it at some point.

Playing to a packed room with everyone dancing and going crazy, finished a long mix and then took the needle off the wrong record plunging the room into silence......

True tumbleweed moment :eek:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh yes of course. i don't think there is anyone who has never done that. great because your shining moment suddenly becomes the exact opposite!

nomos

Administrator
oh i do that all the time. my other technique is to build up to a big drop or transition and forget to turn the bass back on. treble party.

wascal

Wild Horses
When I was much younger and lacking dubplate scruples I managed to drop a radio rip of a fresh new breaks track I had downloaded from Napster - complete with an "Eeee-sential... you're listening to the Essential Mix with Pete Tong" vocal - to a relatively packed bar.

Cringe b2b beetroot faced shame. Learned my lesson pretty sharpish :mad:

continuum

smugpolice
When I was much younger and lacking dubplate scruples I managed to drop a radio rip of a fresh new breaks track I had downloaded from Napster - complete with an "Eeee-sential... you're listening to the Essential Mix with Pete Tong" vocal - to a relatively packed bar.

Cringe b2b beetroot faced shame. Learned my lesson pretty sharpish :mad:

lol, I've done that but with a track with Westwood bombs in it. I just carried on and then removed the track from my laptop straight afterwards.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I have far, far too many to describe. My life is basically strung together by a series of immensely embarassing events.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
On a music related tip - MCing in a semi ironic way to UK Garage at a house party just as my (rudeboy) dealer and a couple of his mates turned up. URGH.

Think they thought it was funny tho, but probably in the same way that people find Ali G funny

zhao

there are no accidents
I have far, far too many to describe. My life is basically strung together by a series of immensely embarassing events.

well get started then! we do have all day. edit: everyday.

plus that's like telling people you have a huge bag of cookies and refusing to open it.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
ive done the radio rip thing, though luckily only with a friend, halfway through a track Kode9 starts talking about bird flu (i mean, not even swine flu...)

my old prog/hardcore band played a hideous show at the start of a tour where halfway through the first track (quite a technical one) everyone just went completly out of sync and time and just fell apart to a stop due to drunkeness, it sounded like the tape getting chewed up, and then proceeded to knock the drums over and leave. took about 5 minutes in all. me being the singer, and the only one not drunk, just had to apologise to everyone...

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
A quick pair off the top of my head (there are almost certainly more);

Turning up for a paid gig (first on) in an advanced state of euphoria, trying to plug headphones in to the mixer and inducing ear bleed white noise over the PA, repeatedly. After insisting to the soundman for sometime that his mixer was fucked, it was suggested i stopped trying to plug the headphones into the mic socket..

Several years ago at a New Cross squat party over excitedly punching the air to 20 Seconds To Comply getting droppped in the middle of a mind numbing nu-rave'ish set. Sadly we were in a derelict pub cellar so I punched straight through the ceiling, bringing down a sizeable part of it on the crowd plus dj and decks.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Several years ago at a New Cross squat party over excitedly punching the air to 20 Seconds To Comply getting droppped in the middle of a mind numbing nu-rave'ish set. Sadly we were in a derelict pub cellar so I punched straight through the ceiling, bringing down a sizeable part of it on the crowd plus dj and decks.

that's a prize folly right there! i wish harry hill could collate all these mishaps and make a dedicated muso burp show.

i think most of my shameful acts on stage or otherwise have involved too much booze.
in fact i got kicked out an old band for being to drunk on stage, this was during a time when i suffered mad stage fright, the only way i could go on was to sink volumes of pints in quick succession.

viktorvaughn

Having a piss in a non tradition toilet venue at a party under some train arches and getting ejected...can't think if anything else. It wasn't really that embarrassing either.

massrock

Let us lol at the misadventures of others.

He's a bit dizzy innit.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stay away from cake kids.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Classic.

zhao

there are no accidents
Having a piss in a non tradition toilet venue at a party under some train arches and getting ejected...can't think if anything else. It wasn't really that embarrassing either.

what does ejected mean in england? unless this party was on an airplane?