The Aesthetics of War Movies

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
which ones do you like? which don't you like? why? what do you like & dislike about them? what makes a war movie "good"? war movies or movies that are about War (i.e., Apocalypse Now etc.)? exploitation or art or (more likely) both? Is it even possible to make a war movie that isn't exploitative, both of the combatants & of the non-combatants stuck in the middle? in fact, is it possible to make a war movie of social worth, whatever that is?

I realize a lot of those are questions w/no real answers.

prompted largely by my recent viewing of The Hurt Locker. a few of my thoughts on which here if you care to read them.

a few from my list (not including the really obv stuff):

Go Tell the Spartans
Thin Red Line
The Battle of Algiers
Jarhead
both Gettysburg & Glory
Das Boot
both The Great Escape & The Dirty Dozen
Beaufort

on the list but haven't seen yet - Generation Kill, Rescue Dawn, Zulu Dawn, Gallipoli, Waltz w/Bashir, The Killing Fields, Breaker Morant, Cross of Iron

not on my list - every John Wayne war movie esp. Green Berets, tons of garbage post-Platoon 80s cashin Vietnam flicks, post-Saving Private Ryan cashins (i.e. Pearl Harbor), all the Rambos, all Chuck Norris vehicles, Navy SEALs, etc etc

thoughts? recommendations (guess this one depends on what you define as a "war movie")?

padraig (u.s.)

& since this is art literature & film I suppose war novels as well.

to get us started - The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh. could not recommend it more highly.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Come and See is the greatest war film ever made, that I've seen anyway

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

whose 'going deaf' scene is imitated in this, 'Defiance' :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034303/

which, funnily enough, is the one of the worst. It's got one of the most offensive scenes I've ever witnessed in a film and everyone involved in it should be utterly, utterly ashamed of themselves.

I think all film is 'exploitative' - even though I know what you mean.

For me it's about grace within the telling of the story, which Come and See manages utterly, and it manages misery very well, whereas Defiance glories in its retelling and showing of things - not the whole story but particularly in the scene I found offensive - that never happened, and which solely serve as revenge fantasies. I don't mind revenge fantasies - Abel Ferrara's Ms .45 is GREAT! - but when posited onto historical fact...it's just graceless. I guess it's the old objectivity/subjectivity thing.

Last edited:

crackerjack

2nd the call for Come & See - the most devastating war movie you could ever see - utterly unique, harrowing

Patton should be on your list - character study of someone who was himself obsessed with military history and his own self-mythologising (there's one great scene when he insists he can sense the ruins of Carthage)

Saw The Big Red One recently - far from perfect, but worth watching for a worm's eye view of being a man at war

padraig (u.s.)

Patton should be on your list - character study of someone who was himself obsessed with military history and his own self-mythologising (there's one great scene when he insists he can sense the ruins of Carthage)

oh it most definitely is (the list was actually much longer but I chopped it down so as not to scare off recommendations. a great, great film, probably the best biopic ever made about a military figure. funnily enough I went to high school w/one of George C. Scott's grandsons. a total jerk - arrogant rich kid, obnoxious frat boy in training type. none of his grandad's talent to make it forgivable either, we were in a school play together & he sucked.

also Come & See is definitely on the to-see list, right at the top. I was just reading about it the other day actually.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I want to see Come and See as well - although I've heard it's extremely harrowing. Great name for a film I think - seems to promise to invest you with some kind of great new knowledge.
But, in general, I've never really thought about it before but now you ask the question I realise that I don't generally like war films. I think that I tend to avoid them without realising that I'm doing it - I did quite like the Battle of Algiers but probably not as much as I should - and it's not a full on war film is it really?
Does Jacob's Ladder count as a war film? I liked that.
The Thin Red Line bored the tits off me. How about Full Metal Jacket - or is that a post-Platoon etc? I just remember some scenes in that making me - if only instantaneously - have some feeling what it might be like to be walking down a jungle path behind a tank and then suddenly think as you are going to die. Even if it's obviously filmed in London.

craner

Beast of Burden
War movies depicting disasters of the Clinton era is quite an interesting topic. Black Hawk Down has some merit, I think, also massive flaws; Behind Enemy Lines is one of the most ludicrous films I've ever seen. The epic miscasting of Owen Wilson sort of comes out the other side, turns magical.

That cold beer in Ice-Cold in Alex is one of the best booze scenes ever committed to celluloid, and a great war movie moment. WWII films are still the best war films, including the magnificent Cross of Iron.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But Salon Kitty does right? I guess I like films that only deal with war obliquely and where all the fighting happens offscreen such as Salon Kitty or Jacob's Ladder. I don't really fancy seeing a load of people in the trenches - not at the moment at least.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Waltz With Bashir is really good though. But I don't think it's the war bits I like especially. It's more a film about memory and conscience and how they interact.

craner

Beast of Burden
Zulu is definately one of the greatest. Caine's best perfomance apart from Get Carter?

Do I love this film because I'm Welsh?

padraig (u.s.)

But, in general, I've never really thought about it before but now you ask the question I realise that I don't generally like war films. I think that I tend to avoid them without realising that I'm doing it - I did quite like the Battle of Algiers but probably not as much as I should - and it's not a full on war film is it really?

The Battle of Algiers is most certainly a war film, & one that is infinitely more relevant to most wars that are fought these days than any sweeping, grandiose WWII epic. it's a film, perhaps the defining film, about insurgency/counterinsurgency - terms related to & overlapping with "small war", "brush war", "low intensity conflicts, etc Certainly it's a film one wishes Rumsfeld & Tommy Franks would have watched in 2003.

Thin Red Line - that may just be a Terrence Malick thing yeah? I mean everyone agrees about Badlands but other than that it seems people are pretty split on his films (I liked The New World too). I read also read James Jones' novel before I saw the movie. there's another war novel worth reading actually, as deadpan cynical as they come & all the better for it. Like The Naked & The Dead if it didn't suck.

Full Metal Jacket is on the list of the obvious I should think. I dunno, actually the book there's better as well. The dude who wrote it actually went to write a much, much crazier sequel, that no one read, wherein Private Joker is captured by, comes to empathize with & eventually joins the Viet Cong. it is one of the most ferociously bitter things I've ever read, his level of disgust with the war & the United States in general is overwhelming. both books are available to read for free here.

padraig (u.s.)

War movies depicting disasters of the Clinton era is quite an interesting topic. Black Hawk Down has some merit, I think, also massive flaws; Behind Enemy Lines is one of the most ludicrous films I've ever seen. The epic miscasting of Owen Wilson sort of comes out the other side, turns magical.

I hated Black Hawk Down tbh. as gung-ho great as it made the individual American soldiers look, it seemed the whole thing was a long, extended video game of Rangers shooting at frothing mad, Muslim Black Others. all that Starship Troopers nonsense about The Skinnies. tho I guess it did a good job of capturing what a clusterf**k the whole Somalia mission was all the way down the line (also clearly anything named Operation Gothic Serpent is doomed to failure).

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I'm not really a fan of war movies, but one of my fave fictional characters is Joker in Full Metal Jacket. An all time classic movie smart-arse, Ferris Bueller goes to war.

"Well, you seen much combat?"
"I've seen a little on TV."

"I wanted to see exotic Vietnam... the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!"

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Downfall and Apocalypse Now come into the category of the v obvious, I guess.

Zulu is great too.

And how come no-one's mentioned Escape to Victory yet?

craner

Beast of Burden
I hated Black Hawk Down tbh. as gung-ho great as it made the individual American soldiers look, it seemed the whole thing was a long, extended video game of Rangers shooting at frothing mad, Muslim Black Others

I don't think that's true at all, there was a big dollop of late 90s/early 00s liberal interventionist guff weaved into the script; it had a hyper-real extremism to it, but not at all in the vein of your caricature. It wasn't the post-9/11 booster that it came to be seen as on release. A more complex film than that, I think, but as I said, flawed. Any reading or re-reading of what happened in Somalia inevitably is. For a Hollywood blockbuster it did a surprisingly decent job.

IdleRich

IdleRich
You're probably right about Thin Red Line - I often think I should watch it again now that I'm so much older and wiser (ha) than I was then. Joking aside it was half a lifetime ago and I've certainly got a hell of a lot more patience for slow meandering films than I had then.

"it's a film one wishes Rumsfeld & Tommy Franks would have watched in 2003."
Maybe, but they catch all the insurgents don't they? There is a little bit of narrative at the end to say "oh but a few years the Algerians won" but that lacks the emotional punch of the previous scenes where the last remaining leaders of the resistance are hunted down. I can see that being the bit that resonated with Rumsfeld if he did happen to watch it.

Starship Troopers is a fantastic film. Yet another that tells you something about war without being a proper war film.