school me on tribal house (and tekno)

zhao

there are no accidents
the genre of electronic dance music stereotypically for people in dirty cargos and facial piercings playing hacky sack -- yet i know for a fact that there is BITCHIN shit out there that can be classified as this.

i will start using the adjective bitchin' a lot more from now on.

echevarian

babylon sister
Err, perhaps start with Danny Tenaglia?

If that doesn't suit you, maybe poke around Luciano's label Cadenza?

Not quite sure what particular flavour of this style you're asking for.

Do you want late 90s style full on tribal house with trancey breakdowns or minimal tech-house with a heavy South American influence?

Ory

warp drive
yeah Danny T used to spin quite a bit of tribal, then there's people like Antoine Clamaran and Steve Lawler.. however this has nothing to do with crusties.

drilla

admittedly i'm quite drunk but the whole manner of this thread makes me literally lol. no recs but anxiously hoping this gets 3+ pages full of them to gorge on for the hell of it.

zhao

there are no accidents
reason for this thread was i have a few tracks that i like very much, not even sure if they actually are "tribal" per se... def not UKFunky... just kongas percussion driven afro-minded house. a few of them are:

Matzak - African Roots
Liapin - Black Mamba
Micro Violi - Moncada
Cpen - African Jack (Mathew Bandy Drum Mix)
Dima - Monolog
Andre Lodemann - Searchin (instrumental)
AK - Say That You Love Me (Francois K/Eric Kupper dub)
Mirko Loko - Love Harmonic
Chris Wood and Frank leicher - I feel the Night

anyone familiar with any of these artists? more along same lines?

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Err, perhaps start with Danny Tenaglia?

If that doesn't suit you, maybe poke around Luciano's label Cadenza?

what i saw of Danny Tenaglia on youtube doesn't suit me...

i remember liking a lot of stuff on Cadenza during my MNML years, but i don't recall anything having loads of percussion? (if it did i wouldn't have liked it then!)

Not quite sure what particular flavour of this style you're asking for.

Do you want late 90s style full on tribal house with trancey breakdowns or minimal tech-house with a heavy South American influence?

i want forward thinking 4/4 dance music with loads of percussion... minimal tech house ish is good, as long as it's got that Afro Swing.

yes there are some great Latin Techy house, i know very little... one track i love is

Broki - Es Que Lo (Kay Suzuki Mix)

yeah Danny T used to spin quite a bit of tribal, then there's people like Antoine Clamaran and Steve Lawler.. however this has nothing to do with crusties.

those are all djs right? i'm looking for producers...

i didn't mean crusties but more burners and "modern primitives" (not the anarchist kind, the raver kind). sorry if my stereotyping offended anyone...

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I think this stuff is more commonly called afro house than tribal house. Picked up a nice stack of 12"s recently, I'll get you names soon.

DJ PIMP

i have a soft-spot for lawler... have to be in the right frame of mind, but he makes nice linear, tracky, rollling grooves.

some of radio slave's stuff is kind of in the same mode, like his mix of Hypnose by Terence Fixmer.

zhao did you ever listen to Oliver Lieb's harthouse album from the 90s under the name Ambush? he worked with live drummers and it would possibly be a cheesey curio of some interest now... worth a skim, possibly.

all dance music is tribal though, eh.

echevarian

babylon sister
A lot of recent Cadenza has got some really nice delicate drumwork,

Its actually so swung and polyrhythmic that it gives my copy of Traktor the fits and I can never get an accurate BPM.

I know its right around 128, whatever.

I really liked this Argenis Brito release from last year.

And that Mirko Loko track you mentioned is actually on Cadenza if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister

How about that?

Luciano is one of the few minimal guys I still can get into.

Or this ?

I'm sure you're aware that some of the best stuff in this vein is coming out of South Africa right now.

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister
And in a completely different direction, these guys share a label with Afrilounge.

I'd be more likely to play that in a disco set, than a house one TBH.

Here's another, they're almost more jazz than dance here.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I guess the aim here is to pull out some stuff close to UK Funky, but I'd have to concur that if yr after whats traditionally been termed 'tribal', Danny Tenaglia & the Tribal label: http://www.discogs.com/label/TRIBAL+America are pretty much synonymous with it...not much of a fan myself.

If you wanted a different way into 'tribalism', good old Daniele Baldelli's slowed-down Italo disco mixes are talked of in those terms sometimes...

lazybrowndog

110.jpg