Commercialy released mixes with huge clangers

wascal

Wild Horses
I know this is rare nowadays with ableton / traktor sync buttons etc, but back in the 90's some of my favourite mix CD's were riddled with dubious moments (outweighed by the more choice moments of course.)

I was listening to Jeff Mills Live At The Liquid Room Tokyo for the first time in ages today and totally forgot about the bit where he wantonly clangs Strings Of Life in, abruptly out of time.

Can anyone think of any other other commercially released and acclaimed mixes with 'wtf was that all about' moments?

alex

Do not read this.
The key clashing on the first few tunes on Hatcha's Dubstep Allstars 4 mix makes me wince.

do all DJ's who play (out/on rinse) nowdays mix in key then??

I have looked into it, not deep deep into it, but do alot of DJ's worry about this then??

are people really strict with theyre mixing, I know roko doesnt like to mix something unless its in key..anyone else??

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
are people really strict with theyre mixing, I know roko doesnt like to mix something unless its in key..anyone else??

haha, really?
Harmonic mixing is the most boring shit ever. It makes sets so placid. He probably picked up that shit from being in Berlin - the techno heads are all about it.

D

droid

Most DJs mix in key (consciously or unconsciously), because if you don't your mixes pretty much sounds like shit.

If anything it's really strange how few CD's had clangers. All the CD's I got from magazines in the early years of this decade, I can't remember any mistakes at all. I'm sure a good deal of them were done live and all. And yet whenever I go to a club I always hear mistakes, same with a lot of radio shows. Those CD's encourage the belief that it is possible (maybe even easy) to be a techinically perfect DJ all the time.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Well if we're talking about a genre like garage or any of its derivatives, then theoretically with enough practice it is really easy to be technically perfect all the time because you are usually working with a range of about +/- 4 bpm.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I was listening to Jeff Mills Live At The Liquid Room Tokyo for the first time in ages today and totally forgot about the bit where he wantonly clangs Strings Of Life in, abruptly out of time.

I thought that was Mills' mixing style though, each plate dropped into the mix without headphones. I kinda liked that style of djing as well, hearing chaos move to synchronicity

4linehaiku

Repetitive
God DSAS4 was bad wasn't it?
Though I suppose the idea is to provide an accurate representation of the current scene as a whole. So it was actually a wild success.
Ooh, burn.

viktorvaughn

I thought that was Mills' mixing style though, each plate dropped into the mix without headphones. I kinda liked that style of djing as well, hearing chaos move to synchronicity

He does use headphones.

But yeah slightly abrupt style of boshing in the new tunes.

joe.dfx

who knows...
goldie's - incredible 2cd mix has at least a small handful of god awful mixes...

as far as mills goes...that's his style of mixing...anyone who's seen him live knows he goes through about 60 records an hour, just slamming them into each other...can be obnoxious at times but really fantastic at others...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I will only forgive clangers if the DJ clearly has a really good vision, just not the technical skills to back it up, and they are trying hard to work around that handicap.

If the tunes are all shit, then obviously it's a fail, but also if someone who can't mix is consistently trying to pull off 64 bar mixes anyway. Do that at home, not in the club please. Quick cuts or imaginative use of EQ and effects beats a clanging drawn-out mix anytime.