DJ's/sound quality/MP3's

raffia

What do you think about it ? a combination of -

many DJ's playin only CD's or Serato/Final Scratch etc

Dj's only wanting to play new exclusives

Producers almost always mixing their tunez themselves/at home, then trying to 'master' them to give out to DJ's (no disrespect some producers can make amazing shizzle even with limited gear but not all of dem)

means that -

You are getting to hear whole sets that have no properly mastered tunes at all and nothing from vinyl.

And at a time when a lot of rigs have got much better/lot of funktion 1's about, seems a shame to be hearing lo-quality at high volume.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
There are 2 problems,

a) dj softwares time compressing/stretching tracks to fit in time, this is really where alot of loss comes in. Alot of djing where this happens it does kinda add to the fukd up of it all though so not sure it's necessarily a problem.

b) djing with mp3s , once you apply the above things get a bit messy, they're not so good for basic pitch shifting either. There's no problem with this with vinyl.

That said, most public spaces have so many variables with regard to PA that 192Kmp3 is fine in my opinion. In a noisy bar 192<>320, who is really gonna know ? Frankly at 3am with a crowd of pissed people 96-128K would be fine as well.

Last edited:

Papercut

cut to the bone
i thought/read about this a lot, and kind of came to the conclusion that it's much of a muchness and that its more about thet tracks, but i've been to a few gigs recently where i've been left cold by a set and started to put it down to over-compressed (the lack of dynamics kind) and the, imo, harshness of some digital files.

maybe its all in my head though.