Boogie rock - recommendations?!

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I suspect theres a thread here somewhere about this (the Black C*ck one I think mentioned it obliquely), but anyone got any good Boogie recommendations? Its something that seemed largely forgotten for years & has been reappraised since the likes of Mr Scruff varied the dancefloor up a bit. I suspect I know a bunch of the acts already, but wouldn't think to draw for them...any recommendations of particularly good acts or tracks that hit the mark, maybe by people you wouldn't go near otherwise?!

the ig

zz top - hell yeah!
first five -
"the first album" bluesy one, for 'bedroom thang' especially with its ridiculous heads down extended breakdowns.
"rio grande mud" bluesy / rocky, super raw with dry, astringent sound...ridiculously tight and funked up. 'just got paid' is waaaaaay up there for me. bits sound almost like beefheart.
"tres hombres" maybe the masterpiece. warmer, more expansive sound. gliding, sunny, heavy...rolling on and on...motorik for truckers..and bizarre downbeat stoner tracks like 'master of sparks'. huge beautiful bottom end throughout.
"fandango!" studio/live split. less essential than the others - but 'nasty dogs and funky kings' and deeply, deeply satisfying riffmonster 'tush' are musts.
"tejas" another must have. moody nocturnal vibes. some country flavs and lotsa limber mexically funk too ('snappie kakkie', 'avalon hideaway'), + 'enjoy and get it on' pure juggernaut of a track that just fuckin' flies off the ground...i mean how ridiculously together is this band? billy gibbons' spitting, fractured guitar at the end of that just destroys me!
some peeps rate "deguello" too but i dunno...it's a bit glossily produced.

they had that perfect poise between looseness and precision. lots of space in there, great power trio dynamics with great interplay. but also dum dum simple, insistent and repetitive. it's all in the bones...perfect rhythm section and a great guitarist that plays super rhythmically always, with great economy, and right in there with the other two.
quite possibly my favourite rock 'band voice' along with can at their best, and creedence...

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
they had that perfect poise between looseness and precision. lots of space in there, great power trio dynamics with great interplay. but also dum dum simple, insistent and repetitive.

Chooglin'

hint

Lido Shuffle
Lido be runnin', havin' great big fun, until he got the note
Sayin' toe the line or blow it, and that was all she wrote

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Cheers alll...will take a while to digest the ZZ Top, but that Boz Scaggs is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of...

More?

the ig

you might wanna try little feat.

can only find sub par live stuff on you tube but try these tunes for starters:
hamburger midnight / forty four blues - how many more years / skin it back / spanish moon / dixie chicken / two trains / fatman in the bathtub / easy to slip / cold cold cold.

dirty, stumbling funk, boozy gospel warmth, and sleepy-eyed, 'luded-up redneck bonhomie...right on the money!

the ultimate 'whispering bob' dad band! very unfashionable and very good!

hint

King Harvest... too obvious?
I work for the Union
Cos She's so good to me

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Leo

zz top - hell yeah!

oh man, ab-so-freakin-lutly YES. "tres hombres" is a classic. ig, excellent, spot-on write-up/description, btw. a strange aside: steve albini's short-lived band rapeman used to cover "just got paid"!

can't even think of anyone to compare, most of the southern rock boogie band are boring as shit. grand funk railroad?

for a 90s/indie (but good all the same) version, might want to look into raging slab. their first indie album is good, some of the later major label stuff is meh.

CrowleyHead

Pink Fairies - The Snake

The tone alone kills you. I'd link to it, but I'm not running a wonderful enough computer for that right now...

philblackpool

gamelanstep
All appreciated again...agreeing on "Tres Hombres" now I've heard it & had completely forgotten King Harvest...not sure its gonna become a big favourite genre for me, but nice to flesh it out a bit...

Wouldn't have thought of Blue Cheer in here, but "Summertime Blues" is a hell of a record...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I was typing a rant about how King Harvest shouldn't be considered as 'boogie rock', but fuggit, if it's a way of introducing new people to a great tune then who cares?

the ig

thanks leo,
i 'm a big fat fuckin' fan!
makes a lot of sense Albini doing 'Just Got Paid'.
there's quite a lot of ZZ' spirit in those Albini bands -
that unsparingly clipped, foreshortened quality. the controled violence, intimidating bluntness - terse, laconic, hatrim down, heavy shoulders hunched...
...and the dry factual narratives, cartoony blues centred on objects of kitsch americana...bloojeanz, cheap sunglasses n'all
shiny seamy-sided byways of the highways...
they've got this zing! pang! pow! pop art quality that they'd accentuate to diminishing returns when they became mtv stars.

on another aside in the doc 'Scratch' there's a guy beat-juggling the breakdown from 'It's Only Love'. that also makes sense!

agreed on 'The Snake' tho' Pink Fairies i've found mostly meh elsewhere..

Blue Cheer i have down as stoner...but yeah, great!

dunno about other southern boogie. wanna check that famous Allmans live at fillmore double, and holding out for Skynyrd...really like 'Tuesday's Gone'!

a good place to start for this stuff is the fab soundtrack for Richard Linklaters' massively good fun high school coming of age film 'Dazed and Confused'.
s'got all these big bright beautiful pumped-up tracks like Aerosmith 'Sweet Emotion', Rick Derringer 'Rock'n'Roll Hoochi-Koo' and Foghat 'Slow Ride'.
don't know why i love this stuff, but i really do!

Last edited:

the ig

fo'sure!
'Cherry Red' - really heavy and propulsive with harsh guttural vox..
great brit power trio that did the bluesy thing really tough, raw and rigid.

phew...are we moving into 'Second British Blues Boom?'

does anyone know their Chicken Shack, Atomic Rooster?
been meaning to check...

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Chicken Shack "I'd Rather Go Blind" is a classic, but not boogiefied...
Fleetwood Mac "I Need Your Love So Bad" is on a similar & similarly great vibe:
I saw the Groundhogs a few years ago...still got it...

Buick6

too punk to drunk
ROSE TATTOO - first album. Absolute classic hard boogie rock.
T-REX - Electric Warrior - in fact all the T-Rex stuff.
THIN LIZZY - Jailbreak - whilst it's moving 'post boogie' it's technically, sonically, song strucutre-ly a terrific, terrific record. One of the absolute greatest Engerlisch hard rock records with boogie in it.
AC/Dc - all the Bon Scott stuff, before they became and English fatso beer band.