Fantastic Mr Fox

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So it's CGI made to look like old-skool puppet stop-motion? Nice. That's the kind of post-modernity I can get behind. :D

Last edited:

cresp

From what I heard, it actually is stop-motion. Don't think Mr.Anderson was present throughout though.

don_quixote

Trent End
"based on the book by the autor of charlie and the chocolate factory"?

what the fuck is up with children nowadays?? surely roald dahl is still standard reading material right?

jenks

thread death
Too right, he's standard over here in the UK. Spent the journey home from holiday listening to The Twits and George's Marvellous Medicine.

I watched the trailer and thought, oh, so they've turned FMF into Ocean's 11 with foxes.

The quality of animation doesn't seem that much better than any of a slew of high tech kids films I have had to endure.

I'm sure we'll go see it, but I do not have high expectations for it.

D

droid

The standard of Roald Dahl adaptions has been pretty high hasn't it?

Charlie and the chocolate factory (original)
James and the Giant Peach
Danny the Champion of the world
The Witches
Matilda
BFG (kind of cheap animation IIRC)

He also wrote the original screenplay for Gremlins.

don_quixote

Trent End
didnt he hate them all too?

the books are an absolute gift for screenwriters, but due to that theyre a gift for the imagination as well.

mixed_biscuits

Looks pants. Poor Oceans 11 pastiche - pat wisecracks and all - occasionally undermined by the odd moment of predictable awkward indie-film whimsy, uninteresting animation and, as far as the animals go, a 100% anthropomorphic fail of the imagination. To cap it all, it's fundamentally unfaithful to the original story. There's little promise of a pay-off from this instance of cultural appropriation.

jenks

thread death
Showed the trailer to my boys and they thought it was funny but then said...'but it's not the Fantastic Mr Fox is it?'

The all knowing ten year old took the nine year old to one side and told him - 'it's Hollywood, derr brain.'

viktorvaughn

As far as i remember FMF is a resourceful, funny, skinted, loving, loyal, unflappable and inventive kind of fox and not some vulpine Cloony goon.