Minimal synth stuff

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wish I knew more about this genre. Every now and again I get excited and think that there must be loads of good stuff with bands taking the ball off Suicide and running with it and I have a bit of a cast about and just discover a load of rubbish that seems to go for incomprehensible amounts on ebay. I guess I'm thinking of stuff that isn't nasty like industrial and isn't as weak as synth pop but which does have a poppy element.
Beyond the totally obvious what's good in this style?

Leo

a recent entry in the category: cold cave. some interesting singles, a decent new album. noisy with a pop undercurrent. a little bit goth/darkwave in places, but don't let that stop you.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
All that late 70s/early 80s stuff like Thomas Leer and John Foxx, but I suppose you're looking for more up-to-date music?

nochexxx

harco pronting
I have a bit of a cast about and just discover a load of rubbish that seems to go for incomprehensible amounts on ebay.

personally I love it but I guess you could posit the idea that john bender fits into this category. :slanted:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Monoton's brilliant and one of the few records that seems insanely ahead of its time. Rewired a few of my ideas about how original/groundbreaking Basic Channel were (they're still sublime, obviously).

I'm sure there's some other NDW that fits the bill - (I seem to remember a comprehensive Woebot article ont he genre that's bound to contain some things of interest in this category)

stephenk

the so young but so cold comp from a few years ago is a pretty decent primer on the french end (with some benelux artists as well i believe)

polystyle

yeah 'synth waves minimal'
putting the music into the little genre name slots leads to good things falling through the cracks, or getting slept on ...
Idlerich - how 'pop' are you thinking ?
imo, the pop side is almost always interesting .

Suicide really a classic template of sorts and Martin Rev still releasing some choice things ...
Hearing Monoton when it got rereleased was revelatory,
think they have another (re)release in recent Wire review i read in studio.
Respect to '80's W Berlin's Liasions Dangeruses because they had a raw punk bite with their Harmonizer, an ad -hoc approach to global language , knew how to use those racks of Oberheim gear and had the smarts to them go to Conny Plank's to produce the record.
Likewise DAF

There are always some edgy minimal racketing hybrid groups sounds around the US ,
some lab for hybrids.

IdleRich

IdleRich
the so young but so cold comp from a few years ago is a pretty decent primer on the french end (with some benelux artists as well i believe)
That's the kind of sound I'm on about I guess, I've got records by Kas Product and Mathematics Modernes and others that feature on that comp but I want more. There's a comp called BIPP as well with loads of French stuff that my girlfriend has - things like Ruth - Polaroid Photo are exactly what I mean I suppose.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
hmmn. john carpenter's soundtrack for Assault on Precinct 13? first thing that comes to mind, though that makes it, i reckon, obvious...

Cinnamon Carter

Wild Horses
Yes, must credit that So Young But So Cold comp. for turning me on to Bernard Szajner and The (Hypothetical) Prophets ...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

padro1982

check 'P1/E - Second Offender', great (but very rare) album of minimal synth/cold wavey stuff...

P1-E - 49 Sec. Romance:

Also, Optimo did a great podcast of this stuff recently, called 'Synth Summer':

http://www.4shared.com/file/116936994/f05eb1ec/Optimo_Podcast_1_-_Synth_Summer.html

A couple of others....

Metro Pakt - Neue Strassen:

Not sure if this is really minimal synth, or if it's a bit too obvious, but still a great tune...

Grauzone - Eisbaer:

This one's a bit daft, like Kraftwerk sped up...

Gleitzeit - Ich komme aus der DDR:

Oppenheimer Analysis are also worth checking.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was just listening to the first Autechre album yesterday, and much of that's very sparse and cold-sounding - though I don't know to what extent 'sparse' overlaps with 'minimal' in the sense that Rich (or anyone else) intends.

Also maybe checking out some early-to-mid '80s Cabaret Voltaire, i.e. after their electro-punk phase but before they went all acid house:

Interesting that you don't want to listen to 'harsh' industrial or 'weak' synthpop, as Cabs from this era kind of falls in between those two camps. I mean, you could call a lot of it EBM, but it's a good deal less cartoonishly sinister and, well, 'gay-sounding' than most typical EBM of the period.