RIP John Hughes

swears

preppy-kei
Ferris Bueller's Day Off is probably one of my favourite films ever, I don't think there's been another teen comedy that comes close... Planes, Trains and Automobiles is brilliant also.

RIP

polystyle

Oh well, gotta go sometime.
Never watched a complete movie by this cat, hopefully never have to.
See ya !

polystyle

Well, his work was around , too much for my liking.
Love the Furs, and it was odd when Pretty In Pink showed up in his pic.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I picture at his funeral, after the lowering of the casket, family and friends walking off into the sunset, accompanied by a song by Journey or someone similar, then jumping into a collective high five, freeze frame, credits roll.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Planes, Trains... is great until the sugary weepy ball of fisty ending. And even that bit works just a leetle.

Breakfast Club is great but only for the scene where they smoke a joint and the jock screams so loudly the windows shatter.

R.I.P.

swears

preppy-kei
You could see his 80s films as very conventional, which in a lot of ways they are: middle class, suburban white Americans, etc... But you got the impression the characters' situations and social mores were as dumb and arbitrary as anyone else's. This is the "norm" but it's not normal. He showed the absurdity of regular, whitebread suburban life in a similar way The Simpsons did later on, which is what made for such great comedy.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
close to my heart if only b/c he's from about 2 towns over from where I grew up & "Shermer Illinois" is a fictionalized version of that. the high school in 16 Candles is about 2 miles from the house my folks live in now. The high school where most of Ferris Bueller's Day Off was filmed - which my sister attended - is even closer to my folks' house. Watching his films brings back tons of memories that don't have anything to do w/the films themselves.

I reckon his films aren't nearly highbrow enough for Dissensus. I dunno tho I reckon they kind of define a certain era of American pop culture for what that's worth. & Ferris Bueller is a great film anyway (dude has Cab Voltaire posters on his wall!), great Chicago film. RIP, anyway.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
middle class, suburban white Americans, etc...

it's affluent, not just middle class. I'm from Evanston, which borders Chicago & is fairly mixed both race & class wise (it went 90% for Obama as I recall), but if you get up a few miles to where most of his films were shot, like Kenilworth, Winnetka, it's really really affluent. or Glencoe which is where Risky Business is set. kind of important b/c a lot of American suburbs actually aren't anything like the ones in Hughes' films. also b/c I've always thought he injected a fair bit of class hostility into his work tho kinda subtly or sometimes subtly & sometimes not i.e. Pretty In Pink.

Last edited: