BBC on reggaeton

nomos

Administrator
Featured on the main page of their international news site today: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4304185.stm

It's about what you'd expect, but this tidbit of musicological insight caught my eye: "Reggae is said first to have arrived in Latin America with Jamaican labourers who worked on the Panama Canal in the early 20th Century." :eek:

gdw

like a lot of caribbean culture its roots seem to be in migration. from jamaica to panama, establishing the connection between the two cultures which bore fruit in the late 80s / early 90s when latin mcs started versioning jamaican riddims. and from puerto rico to new york, establishing hip hop in latino culture in the 80s. i'm guessing that it was the puerto ricans who had emigrated on their u.s. passports who brought the first hip hop records / tapes / clothes back to the caribbean.

shameless plug for those in london...
you can hear reggaeton along with other 'urban latino' styles and jamaican reggae and dancehall every month at heatwave at the rhythm factory - http://www.scandalbag.com/

nomos

Administrator
Yeah that's kind of the point they're making except (a) they've dated Reggae to pre-1914, and (b) this indicates that the "Jamaican labourers" reference may be historically inaccurate as well.

Thanks for the link, gdw.

redcrescent

gdw said:
like a lot of caribbean culture its roots seem to be in migration. from jamaica to panama, establishing the connection between the two cultures which bore fruit in the late 80s / early 90s when latin mcs started versioning jamaican riddims. and from puerto rico to new york, establishing hip hop in latino culture in the 80s. i'm guessing that it was the puerto ricans who had emigrated on their u.s. passports who brought the first hip hop records / tapes / clothes back to the caribbean.
Not to forget radio - Miami, New Orleans stations reaching far out into the Caribbean, for example - and the merchant marine.