vocal sample sources

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
anyone know some good sources for for those old ravey/jungle soulful vocal sounds? often they were pitched up.

stuff like what photek used to use and a million other oldskool dnb producers...

all the yeah-eah-uh type stuff

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
weren't they often ripped from old soul/rnb records, if you mean the kind of amorphous vocal sounds? chop up some old records and you're bound to find some distinct vocal sounds you can use/pitch up/reverse/whatever...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
My impression was that a lot of them were taken from a cappella versions of 80s house tunes. Dunno where you'd pick them up now though, start hunting on Discogs I guess.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"Drowning in her" by 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse/Foul Play is sampled from Robert Owens' "Tears", I remember reading on here, so yeah, def another source... there must be some solo-ed vocals on Chicago House tunes too...maybe jamie Principle?

nomos

Administrator
i was wondering about this too. at the time, i got the impression that a lot of them came from sample CDs but i looked recently and didn't come up with anything worthwhile. but yeah maybe they came more from house/rnb/soul/hiphop/pop records. if anyone knows of sample CD titles to look for though i'd be interested. there must be heaps of old akai discs etc. that people don't want anymore.

Last edited:

massrock

Yeah definitely there must be loads of old sample CDs where they'd get in renta-divas to wail and moan generic paeans of desire and jouissance. But how to find out the names? Time & Space I think were one of the first companies making and distributing those sorts of things.

There was some talk on the Producer Talk thread about enlisting the services of local singers, I reckon that could be quite fruitful and fun. You'd certainly be able to capture some amateur charm, if not the precise retro stink.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
nice one for the replies so far

stuff i've found:

some bootlegged multitracks of sessions from people like stevie wonder, the beatles, marvin gaye and queen. listening to the individual tracks from bohemian rhapsody is pretty enlightening. freddie's vocals soloed is nowt short of awe inspiring, he's on some top shelf opera level shit. my fave is probably the doobie brothers - long train running, that one is just bad ass. google "multitrack masters"

there is a pack of motown acapellas out there

and then for stuff more specific to dance music there is the defected acapellas releases which i managed to find on a blog in mp3... i used blogsearch to find those. there are 9 cds in the set, some of them are way to camp for me, but theres a few bits in there well worth checkin. i really dig the one osunlade used for momma's groove on vol. 9. they're only 5 quid so might be worth investing in.

:cool:

keep the suggestions coming

oh yeah, i should add that i have been through around 10 'dance vocal' sample cds from various sample houses and for the most part the stuff on those is, to put it bluntly, cringeworthy. there are always a couple of decent sounding oooohs or ahhhhhs but most of the time when they try to be soulful they just don't cut it. also, i read on an audio production forum the other day that a lot of garage was made with sped up r'n'b sample cds which is one area i've yet to check. they might be worth investigating

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: