Pitchfork500

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
http://pitchfork.com/p2k/

Well we all disagree with it (or at least we should) so lets try to keep it to one song per answer then...

What track should be number one?
Which track is to high or simply shouldn't be there?
What track is most obviously missing?

**yes i know pitchfork is a bit american-indie centric (thats their editors) and dissensus is mostly UK underground but hey

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
no 1 - Missy Elliot: Get Ur Freak On
To high - LCD Soundsystem: All My Friends
missed off: Villalobos: Dexter

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I love 'All My Friends'! Bombs Over Baghdad I never listened to even when I had that album - mystifying choice for me. What's the big deal?

It's all very obvious choices - I like them, but all very obvious. I check Pitchfork once a year for their top 50, as there's always some trendy electro-pop stuff I'll like/love but have never heard of.

Edit: I was going to say that Dissensus isn't UK underground really, when I recalled the grime, funky house and dubstep threads dwarf all otheres in their number of responses.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
i like bombs over baghdad, but number one of the whole decade?? fuck. is there a more easy accessible list of these? i want to know how many 'i luv u' has been robbed by.

and dexter isn't in there? is any villalobos?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Cant Get You Out Of My Head should be number one, but they're too stupid to have even put it in the top twenty.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i luv u is a good shout for number one, for both wtf value and repeated listening pleasure. And "freezing cold flows like Moscow"

i'd vote for Love at First Sight as Kylie's crowning single - a disco monster. but neither int he top 20 is indeed an affront to decency.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Token jamaicans:

424. Turbulence
"Notorious"
[XL; 2006]

325. Sean Paul
"Like Glue"
[Atlantic; 2002]

270. Damian Marley
"Welcome to Jamrock"
[Universal; 2005]

luka

i too think love at first sight is far better than spinning around. i don't want to hear spinning around again but i could listen to LA1S every day.

MrFence

Oh the humanity.
Why is One More Time in the top 20? I always thought it sounded like someone remaking Stardust - Music sound better with you. The write up on pitchfork sounds like the reviewer double dropped 20 minutes before typing it.

EDIT: Not surprising really as I have just discovered that Stardust was two people, one of whom is in Daft Punk.

Swayzak Make up your mind or Mike up your mind would have been nice in there somewhere, though much lower down the list.

Last edited:

tom lea

i too think love at first sight is far better than spinning around. i don't want to hear spinning around again but i could listen to LA1S every day.
agreed.

i dont think it's a bad list for pitchfork really, was always gonna be indie-centric. crap number one tho.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
actually quite enjoying reading this. ignoring the order.

it's not as if if I made a top 100 tracks of the 00s anyone would agree with me even remotely.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fred Falke's Golden Cage remix trumps One More Time as french house single of the decade.

And Ms Jackson and Hey Ya are both way better than BoB. As is So Fresh and So Clean, for that matter.

luka

how you baffled by a music 'publication' making a list? thats the purpose of their lives.

nomos

Administrator
great bits from tim finney on there. it's too bad jess harvell doesn't come here anymore.