Notting Hill 09

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Who's reaching this year?

Anything worth looking out for beyond the usual stuff? Anything good on the afterparty front?

martin

----
I am going with a group of non-reggae fans / Carnival virgins on Sunday. Which will be interesting. Don't know how it'll go - fighting through the crowd to get to Stone Love, Dub Observer or Killawatt. They might enjoy it, or stand around bored. Doing everything I can to persuade them to avoid the floats though.

Does anyone know what Sancho Panza's like? Is it a tent? Cos someone wants to go there.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think I went to Sancho Panza a couple of years ago, and it was shit house/shithouse.

I always go to Talbot Road - have no idea what the soundsystems are called there, but it's the one where ther'e a big reggae pirate ship on the Monday. Good hip hop too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Do not plan. Rule number 1.

Really? The times I've gone when it hasn't been planned have been abysmal 9so much that I refuse to go without a plan again). I think you probably need to have a good knowledge of soundsystems etc to be able to get away with doing that...

martin

----
Well yeah, there's an element of chance, sometimes you stumble across something brilliant you weren't expecting. (PS - if you see someone throwing complementary handouts of red bull at Major fucking Lazer, come over and say hello!)

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
I always enjoy the Nasty Love sound at Colville Gardens, pretty rowdy but they play the best dancehall, plus your not too far from channel one and the Gaz's rocking blues which non-reggae-loving friends can enjoy. On the downside its a trek from Aba Shanti...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, I'm not planning much but I'd like to get to Shanti-I before the street is on lockdown this year.

So is it going to be all Funky everywhere this year? Or has the nuum parted ways with notting hill?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I am going with a group of non-reggae fans / Carnival virgins on Sunday. Which will be interesting. Don't know how it'll go - fighting through the crowd to get to Stone Love, Dub Observer or Killawatt. They might enjoy it, or stand around bored. Doing everything I can to persuade them to avoid the floats though.

Does anyone know what Sancho Panza's like? Is it a tent? Cos someone wants to go there.

I've always had a wicked time at Sancho Panza. More for the vibe than the tunes - just good danceable deep house music. It's just round the corner from Good Times which you can reach fairly easily if you go that station just to the North of the carnival (Kensal Rise - I think) - always pleasingly unpacked if you go this way. I am less enthusatic about RAVING ON FOR ALL TIME than I used to be, but I think I'd still enjoyable, pretty infectious vibe.

EDIT: Obviously this information dates from a few years ago when I had all my hair and teeth left, so it may no longer be accurate -but they do seem fairly stable from year to year.

Last edited:

tom lea

me & my friend ant are playing all night at the beautiful and the damned thing. dodgy name but room 3 will have good tunes at least.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I hope not. Going for the first time this year :D
Nuum stuff was pretty marginal when we went last year, certainly didn't seem like the point of the exercise. More about various flavours of reggae, dancehall, soca etc, and just drifting around.

I dunno, which nuum sounds have actually had much impact at carnival and when? UKG? Grime? Jungle was presumably big back in ragga days? It'll be kind of interesting to see how much business funky is doing this year...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Nuum stuff was pretty marginal when we went last year, certainly didn't seem like the point of the exercise. More about various flavours of reggae, dancehall, soca etc, and just drifting around.

I dunno, which nuum sounds have actually had much impact at carnival and when? UKG? Grime? Jungle was presumably big back in ragga days? It'll be kind of interesting to see how much business funky is doing this year...

Jungle was huge when i went in the '90s....but then it crossed over in a BIG way.

matt b

Indexing all opinion

There was a grime soundsystem at carnival about 5 or so years ago, which was pretty good. Not seen it again.

We will be at Channel 1 all day on sunday, as we are every year, although we will probably discuss moving on to Aba. As we do every year.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Carnival was very good. Heard some funky house :cool:
Heard a bit at a system somewhere at the far north early on, where we were about the only people dancing. We went on sunday though.

Lots of good stuff, generally, though.

Was I confused or were Channel One playing a load of dubstep?

Things to remember in future: if it's at a bar in Islington, it almost certainly bears no resemblance to a carnival afterparty, and is probably not worth going to even if you're a bit knackered and fancy something low key and reasonably handy for the buses. Man up and go to something proper instead.