cymande reunion LDN

petergunn

plywood violin
a friend forwarded this to me... i ain;t gonna be in LDN, but i wish i was... i love Cymande... (a band whose name i did not know how to pronounce til i was like 23)

i got turned on to them when i was like 15 b/c a friend of mine had his older sister's records, w/ this record:

AVIII-8005_soul-train-hits2.jpeg

which had "the message" on it... when i finally tracked the album down on CD when i was 17 (special ordered it from tower) i was bummed out the rest of it basically sounded like Santana, w/ the exception of Bra, which i recognized from De La Soul...

Ok here's the info on the Cymande gig. Don't take this as the absolute gospel truth other than the fact that they're definately playing at the Grey Horse in Kingston (London), on the Bank Holiday Monday. It's a tiny back room. I've played there with my own band before, so that tells you how small it is. I reckon it'll hold 150 people, max. Nice and intimate and the sound was good in there from what I remember. That's the definate stuff, this is the stuff I can gather. They're planning on doing a little reforming tour and are doing a few low key, word of mouth warm up gigs to test the water, this is the first. There'll be another one at my local, The Oval Tavern in Croydon on Nov 14th (I think it's the 14th, definately around that time). It's not the full line up as that's impossible to do apparently but there are 4 original members in a group of seven. Three horns, Bass, Guitar, Drums and Keys. Not sure if it's in the afternoon or evening, I'll find out.

i still need their 4th LP, the one sketchily released by uptown hustler Paul Winley... wonderful cover art:

PWIN1441CD.jpg

please use this thread to talk about Cymande, Mandrill, Ohio Players (finally got their early soul stuff on Capital), the Commodores (need their early instro stuff like their version of Alvin Cash's "Keep on Dancing"), Kool and the Gang (raw hamburger, chocolate buttermilk), etc.....

sufi

lala
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
o boy
& i still don't know how to pronounce it

Client Eastwood

Si Man Di - i think.

this tune for me.

<object width="384" height="313"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="384" height="313" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
That will be such a great gig if it is in Kingston, d'yer think you could keep us posted if you hear any confirmation? Thanks for the heads up.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
'Brothers On The Slide'....'Bra'...'Fug'...and of course 'The Message'...great tunes, but their albums are patchy (as with most Funk bands)...some real anthems on the Rare Groove scene.

crackerjack

They've done a few reunion shows - saw them at Jazz cafe two years ago and they were unbelievably brilliant (double encores for all the hits - you know you love it!).

About half of the original lineup iirc, with a reggae singer (the forgetful old git in the back of my head is telling me Jimmy Riley, but that doesn't see right) on lead vox.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
please use this thread to talk about Cymande, Mandrill, Ohio Players (finally got their early soul stuff on Capital), the Commodores (need their early instro stuff like their version of Alvin Cash's "Keep on Dancing"), Kool and the Gang (raw hamburger, chocolate buttermilk), etc.....

The Commodores? I've been telling the world :)D) that their mid-70s stuff is brilliant but so much of the world only seems to hear Lionel's slushy solo career - but 'Machine Gun' (surely one of the greatest inst keyboard funk tunes ever), 'Slippery When Wet', 'I Feel Sanctified', 'Brick House'...I mean, that band was tight and the d & b production slaps you right in the kisser.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
o boy
& i still don't know how to pronounce it

Ah, one more down!

I have a funk and Philly soul tape from a decade ago, found in a box of stuff passed on from a girl who was teaching in Japan prior to my arrival there...slowly track by track I'm hearing the tracks in a named context. This was one of them...not a huge fan of this though, have to admit....:slanted:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Ah, one more down!

I have a funk and Philly soul tape from a decade ago, found in a box of stuff passed on from a girl who was teaching in Japan prior to my arrival there...slowly track by track I'm hearing the tracks in a named context. This was one of them...not a huge fan of this though, have to admit....:slanted:

You must be nuts...:D;)

crackerjack

Ah, one more down!

There's always one:p

petergunn

plywood violin
The Commodores? I've been telling the world :)D) that their mid-70s stuff is brilliant but so much of the world only seems to hear Lionel's slushy solo career - but 'Machine Gun' (surely one of the greatest inst keyboard funk tunes ever), 'Slippery When Wet', 'I Feel Sanctified', 'Brick House'...I mean, that band was tight and the d & b production slaps you right in the kisser.

i was referring to their late 60's stuff, which has been reissued on various cheapo labels

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,3239247,00.html

that said, their early stuff on motown is ill and Machine Gun is such an underrated jam in terms of disco history... essentially, they took Pepper Box and gave it some balls:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>